Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtogs who should end up on the main page…

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 3,098 total)
  • Author
    no one special
    Participant

Shelby, did your receive permission from the artist to use her image as your FB cover photo? Or was it just stolen? Don’t try the Fair Use argument either. The image is there because it looks nice, to entice people to explore your site and generate sales, or some other related reason. Use your own images for that, get permission and/or pay to use others’ images, or use a true “Copy Left” or similar picture.
    Additionally. I hope for your great success in your endeavor, but refrain from posting the images in a public forum until your skill improves, and you need much improvement in both the technical and ascetic. If you advertise, make money from your actions, or other similar actions, you are assuming a role as a professional. This is not just for photography, but for most any activity. Carry a sense of professionalism throughout your process, and try to maintain that professionalism even if other get nasty towards you.

seth
    Participant

Wow, this is what happens when I leave you kids alone for a few hours?

Seriously, though, Shelby – you do have a lot to learn.  If you are unwilling to admit that, you have bigger problems than what is going on with your photography.  Not to mention, like others have said, your attitude plays a big part with business.  You cannot go around with a potty-mouth and harassing customers and expect to do well.

Furthermore, if you are 15 and truly working and earning money, you still have to pay taxes.  I certainly had to at that age at my first job!  You also need business licenses and insurance, etc.

With all that said, my pro-photo friend recently started training her little sister to assist her on shoots, she’s not much older than you.  Where did she start?  She handed her a dSLR, went over all the controls, quickly explained aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc., and put her on manual, completely skipping any kind of auto mode.  Guess what?  That girl is already doing better than you are and she’s only assisted and shot on two shoots and a small wedding… with a kit lens.  I was especially impressed with her wedding work – the lighting conditions were terrible but she really brought it.  Shelby, head back to the basics, learn them and THEN you will do well.

Finally: just because someone critiques you does not mean they are harassing you.  This is the internet, not your living room.  There’s nothing you can do about these people here or on Facebook.  If the police can’t/won’t help in many true stalking issues online… go ahead, take this to them, they’ll laugh you right out of the precinct.

fstopper89
    Participant

Well said No One Special. That cover photo clearly does not match her skill level. In fact, I ran it through Google’s reverse image search and it is listed in the “Facebook covers” sites. It looks like with that particular image it is granted fair use for a personal FB page; though, since this is a business page, it’s got a trace of false advertising. It would be advisable to use your own work throughout a professional page. Photographers (well, fauxtographers) have gotten reported for using downloadable templates and leaving the stock images in them in their advertising… you are supposed to remove the stock images and place you own. People were duped into thinking that was the photographer’s original work. Just another mark of how unprofessional she is. She’s way too young and inexperienced in life to try to run a business.

momofmany
    Participant

It’s clear her profile pic is not hers either. I highly doubt it’s a fair use picture as it seems like a picture used to advertise the product. I’m sure the retailer or owner of the photo would like to know that their photo is being used to represent someone who has viciously attacked another person and has done nothing to rectify the situation. Instead they have had more family come on here and ignore the endangerment they have caused to an innocent family and attack everyone else, etc.

Also, has anyone contacted the IRS about this “business”?  Shelby claims she made hundreds last month and even has someone on her page asking about paying for pictures and picking them up ($10 says those pics were printed at the local Walmart LMAO).

dont.care
    Participant

All you have to do is make over $500.00, and you’re obligated to record that with the IRS. I seriously doubt she has kept her accounting in order.. There again, I suspect she doesn’t know what a 1099 is let alone a fed/state tax ID

dont.care
    Participant

At this point, it’s just beating a dead horse.. There’s obviously not a single drop of humility in that entire family.. There’s not one ounce of them actually wanting to see her ‘succeed’. False praise is every single person in this worlds, downfall. It will take approximately, ONE client who will hold her to higher standards and she will not comply.. That will bring civil litigation and a lawsuit which will bankrupt that family. Not having proper licensing will further exacerbate that.. Not to mention, having absolutely no liability insurance.. So yeah.. That usually happens to those who fail to listen and heed warnings.. People get the misconception that our community is one of, “hate”. I don’t dislike that girl, or her family.. I dislike her (and her families) ethics and her moral compass. They’ve done nothing but grace us with meaningless platitudes. Her photo ended up on a public forum, from a public forum.. What’s even more ironic, is now it will end up on Google images, because this site is indexed. I suppose they are going to be suing Google too? Oh well. 🙂

momofmany
    Participant

What is sad is they could be potentially facing civil and possibly criminal litigation for what they did to that poor woman. She lives in the same town as this crazy family.  I hope OnePissedOffMother takes action. This family gets all butt hurt over someone saying their daughter/cousin/sister’s picture isn’t professional quality, but shows no remorse for threatening this woman and announcing where she lives. I can’t help but notice the only person asking for how to take the posts down was the victim, not these horrible family members. They don’t even care about the harm they’ve done.  Makes me sick.

JLiu
    Participant

…Is it bad that I keep coming back every 10-15 minutes and hitting refresh?  This is all highly entertaining.

dont.care
    Participant

Yeah, don’t you hate that.. Someone completely innocent caught in the middle.. If I were that woman, I’d go to the local newspaper and expose them..

dont.care
    Participant

JLiu, :[ so do I. LOL

momofmany
    Participant

Me too!  🙂

llamassassin
    Participant

At this point she’s killing herself with her lack of professionalism more than her lack of skill.  We ALL had to start somewhere, and I know some of my photos could have been on this site when I was first learning (although I didn’t charge people or have a website when I was first learning, either).  Even now I only consider myself a casual freelancer and all my business comes from word-of-mouth and repeat clients.

I think humility can get you a long way in photography.  I was paid $75 for my first wedding (and that was only because they insisted on paying me something).  At the time, I had been working at a studio for two years.  I didn’t even want to shoot the wedding because I knew that was WAY different than studio photography.  The only reason I agreed at all is because one, they were family, two, they begged me,  and three, they already had a professional hired– they just wanted me there to fill in the gaps.  So I didn’t feel like I would be totally ruining their photos if I messed up.  But I made it absolutely clear to them that I had no experience with weddings and the photos likely wouldn’t be what they expected. They knew exactly what they were getting.

After that I shot a few weddings for friends for free.  I must have done ok because gradually more requests came in and as I gained experience I slowly increased the amount that I was charging.  Weddings have always stressed me out, though, and I never feel like my work is truly up-to-par with other wedding photographers.  I have nightmares about ruining someone’s special day with crappy photos.  I have been fortunate to never have a complaint and I continue to get business from people who saw their friend’s photos and wanted to hire me, so I must be doing well enough!  But I don’t consider myself a “wedding photographer” so I have actually decided recently to stick to family photography.  That’s what I enjoy most and where I get the most business.  Sometimes being a photographer means finding your niche rather than being a “jack of all trades.”

Anyway, the point of all this (I’m talking to you, Shelby, if you’re listening) is that you don’t start out tooting your horn and shooting down everyone who gives you honest feedback.  You work to get better, and interest in your photography will grow as your skills improve.  You’ll gain business from other people who see your work and like what they see.  You will NOT get business by alienating customers and having your family members gang up on them.  I know if I was looking for a photographer, I wouldn’t touch your “business” with a ten foot pole.  Even if I liked your pictures, I would be worried about how I would be treated.  I know your family members think they are sticking up for you, but they aren’t doing you any favors.  Calling people names, telling them to “get a life”, calling them stupid, etc. is no way to attract clients.  You’ll be lucky if this isn’t a permanent blemish on your career.  If I were you, I would tell your family to knock it off and then try to fix this mess with some grace.

dont.care
    Participant

Mama told me I could be anything that’I, wanted to be.. So I, chose a path of, Photography; and 20 minutes later I’m a child prodigy, and everybody tells me, that I am so brilliant, I shine like a shit stain on a polished floor let me tell you somethin people! I AM ADORED. My family love me, they tell me so.

Concerned
    Participant

Please tell me any mother would be happy with this!!  He looks like he is dead!  And now she is thinking about opening a studio!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=365755046862248&set=a.365754986862254.1073741836.136042449833510&type=1&theater

“This one is really good.. it catches his personality” What ?? The only thing in focus is the brick wall!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=362777747159978&set=pb.136042449833510.-2207520000.1367508040.&type=3&theater

Seriously.. people should not lie to these Fauxtogs!!

These are just so sad!

dont.care
    Participant

The bricks behind him are focused ? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 3,098 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.