Home Forums Letโ€™s Talk Photography What stuff do YOU have?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Jones
    Participant

This is NOT a Canon VS Nikon VS Sony VS Bob Smith Camera brand war!!

I am just curious as to what everyone is shooting with out there? ๐Ÿ™‚ What got you into the gear you’re using? What do you find you like most about it, etc? I’m pretty much a gear head myself, so I enjoy hearing about what other folks are using for their art out there, if y’all don’t mind sharing! ๐Ÿ™‚

cameraclicker
    Participant

I have Canon and Nikon film and digital cameras.ย  Most of the time I use Canon digital now.ย  Way back in 1974, I purchased a Canon because looking through the viewfinder of a Canon and a Nikon, I saw I could hold the Canon more still.ย  In 1998 I purchased a Nikon film camera while in Hong Kong, because it was the cheapest camera that met my needs that instant, and it was in stock.ย  When I went digital, all my gear was Nikon, of the bridge variety.ย  When I changed to Canon, it was a bit of a coin toss and Canon won.ย  I tried using someone’s Nikon a few weeks ago, and that experience confirmed I prefer Canon.ย  But that is a personal thing based on the size of my hands and the way I hold a camera.

Jones
    Participant

Nice, CC. I got to play with a friend’s 5D MK II and MK III the other day — both great cameras, and I enjoyed using them.

Sharra
    Participant

I started with the original Canon Rebel in 2004, then moved to Nikon with the D300 in 2007, which I no longer have. My arsenal now includes:

2x D800
    16 2.8 D fisheye
    14-24 2.8
    24-70 2.8
    70-200 2.8 VR II
    24 1.4 G
    50 1.4 G
    85 1.4 G
    135 2 DC
    300 4 D
    17-35 2.8 D
    105 2.8 VR micro
    200 4 micro
    TC 14E II, 17E II, 20E III
    4 x SB-910 flash
    R1C1
    Gitzo GT2542

I like the D800 for its 36 MP, but I wish it had more FPS for sports. The lens I’ve used the most has been the 70-200 for sports and for wildlife when I don’t have the 300 4. I’d love the 800 5.6, but I don’t have $17K.

Jones
    Participant

That’s definitely an awesome kit there! Wish I could afford those 910’s like that. Went to a Joe McNally seminar, and saw the absolutely bonkers stuff that he does just with little flash and TTL, and makes me want to just fork over my life savings and get addicted to TTL. Awesome stuff. Need to find a cheap (manual) flash that is still pretty reliable that won’t set me back a nice $600!

emf
    Participant

Sharra I’m JEALOUS as hell of your gear lol!! That’s all on my lotto list ๐Ÿ˜‰

ebi
    Participant

oh where do i start. I shoot mostly on a 5D Mark 2. I own a 24-100, which I hate. a 50mm 1.2L, a 90mm 2.8 Leitz, and a 100mm macro.

I also shoot medium format. Mostly Phase one P65+. Either with a hassleblad H2, 50mm, 80mm or 120mm macro. But I prefer the Mamiya RZ with a 75mm, 50mm floating system lens. Because of the format difference, the 50 becomes more like a 75mm and the 75 becomes more like a 90 or 100. if I need anything wider, I go hassy or just shoot with the canon.

nesgran
    Participant

I was curious about the 24-105 and the fact that you were using it given its reputation. My copy is really quite good but only up to about 70mm which kind of defeats the purpose.

Sharra
    Participant

I forgot about the 28-300 3.5-5.6, which I got as a walk-around lens. It’s all been acquired over the last 6.5 years and really only the tripod, bodies, 70-200 and 2 SB-910s were purchased newโ€”the rest I’ve gotten on average of 70% to 80% of retail. It’s not Phase One or Mamiya, but it helps my addiction and now I think I’m in digital detox. ๐Ÿ™‚ I doubt I’ll be getting anything different for quite awhile unless I win the lottery; then I’ll go grab the 400 2.8, 600 4 and 800 5.6. Wishful thinking…

ebi
    Participant

@nesgran – I’ve owned it for years, since before I knew better. I want the new 24-70mm and will probably be buying it soon. Then I will chuck that fucking 24-105 into the east river. I know it’s bad but it’s also convienent. I use it knowing that I’m going to have a lot of lens correction in post. For anything longer than 70mm, I typically use the Leica lens or the 100 macro. Although I much prefer the focus fall of of the leica lens over the 100mm.

Sharra
    Participant

Jones, I’ve heard the Yongnuo flashes like the YN-560 II aren’t bad, but I’ve never used them so I can’t say for sure. Before the SB-910s, I had 2 SB-600s, then 2 SB-800s, and 4 SB-900s. I would’ve kept the 900s except for the over-heating issues, which I experienced on numerous occasions. Any more lighting will be strobes, but I’m torn between Alien Bees, Elinchrom, Paul C. Buff, Profoto, etc. I’m more into landscapers and kids sports like hockey, mountain biking, and lacrosse where strobes aren’t really viable. I see a lot of research on the horizon…

Jones
    Participant

Nice — respect! I dare not touch landscapes. I’ve had lots of experiences with varying strobes, both good and bad — I’d be happy to share, if you want. Shoot me an e-mail at a2molinephotography@gmail.com with what sorts of stuff you’re looking for, or at least if you want to hear the stories I’ve got. ๐Ÿ˜›

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

Before digital I shot with Mamiya 645’s and an RZ system, When the Fuji s1 was launched I went digital and then bought an S2, an S3 and a S5 as they become available. When Fuji stopped making pro bodies I toyed with the idea of going Nikon but I always like to be different so I plumped for the Sony A850, just wish I could afford more of the Zeiss lenses.

Still got the RZ system incase I could afford a digital back for it one day and I’ve still got a Toyo and a Devere 5×4 system ( though I’m not sure why!)

iliketag
    Participant

My kit isn’t terribly advanced, but I like that it gives me enough variety to play with.
    I started learning digital (and had previously worked with Film through high school) in 2006 and picked up my own dslr on Black Friday in 2011. So technically my very own first was a Canon Rebel T3i, which I passed along to my mom in February after procuring my 5D Mk II for the ridiculously low price of $500.

Right now my bag includes:
    5D Mk II (and saving for a Mk III)
    Rebel T3i (which I “borrow” when I have a shoot and need a backup body)
    Canon 50 1.4
    Canon 85 1.8
    Canon 70-200 L (Non IS ๐Ÿ™ )
    Canon 135 L
    Canon 24-70 L I
    Sigma 50 2.8 Macro (Which I will be trading up for a Canon 100 L come the holiday season – when the sales on that guy are great)
    and a Canon 580 EX II (Waiting for another to pop up on Craigslist for 300 again. Patience, patience, patience!)

Lately my 24-70 only comes off when I move to another L. I will say my 85 is probably my least used, sadly. My 1.4 I got for a steal at $50 new using my protection plan and saved up reward coupons from where I bought it. Most of my equipment was purchased either second hand or through meticulous price matching/taking advantage of deals. I managed to get a Canon EOS M for concerts that don’t allow dslr’s for $50 using over two hundred dollars in saved up reward coupons during the 4th of July deal B&H was running. My equipment is worth as my as my boyfriend’s car in terms of having to replace everything… but I paid maybe a 3rd of the price.

cassie
    Participant

I don’t have very much and it’s all amateur stuff which is OK for me at this point since I’m just a MWAC and even if you have insurance you still get stuck paying hospital bills for having kids for months after hahaha.

I have a Nikon D3100 my mom bought me because she was tired of me borrowing her body all the time and the 18-55 kit lens, a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 (the glass one, not the cheap plastic one), a Nikkor 55-200 which isn’t a very good lens at all but works good for the zoo and I got a good used price on it at least, a handful of filters from my mom, a yongnuo speedlight which I’ve only used on camera, so no clue how well the slave works on it, but it bounces really well and has a built in diffuser and stuff. Also one of those windshield things that I use as a reflector, a white art board I use as a reflector from the dollar store, and a steel 60″ tripod I found at goodwill for $10.

I want to get either a 28 or 35mm for pictures inside (once I actually put the kit lens back on and play around with both lengths) since the 50mm is really long on the crop body for inside. It would be nice to be able to take pictures of the kids when it’s raining out without standing against the opposite wall or outside the door, lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.