Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography What stuff do YOU have?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    emf
    Participant

I’ll share too. It’s nothing near the level of some of the things listed, but nonetheless, I’m proud of it 🙂

I have a D700

and a 24 f2.8,

35 f2,

50 f1.4,

60 micro f2.8 (my main lens)

85 f1.8

28-70 f2.8  – which is nice and convenient but big and heavy so I tend to just carry around a couple of primes instead most of the time.

sb800

My film camera was a Minolta SRT 102, which I loved.

nesgran
    Participant

I have a yongnuo 560 III which is a fine flash for what it costs. It is very handy to use with their own radio triggers and is at a great price point for someone who doesn’t have the cash to plump for the canon version. There is supposedly a trigger coming out quite soon that will allow you to remotely set the power of the 560III with no extra attachments. Honestly, it is so good the only speedlight I could recommend over it for OCF is the canon 600 RT but obviously that is in a completely different price bracket.

Can someone explain to me why the 10 fps my 1D can do is so giggle inducing? It is hilarious to see peoples’ response to the sound it makes 🙂

cameraclicker
    Participant

Can someone explain to me why the 10 fps my 1D can do is so giggle inducing? It is hilarious to see peoples’ response to the sound it makes

Most people have cameras that take a single photo (or are set to take a single photo) when the shutter release is depressed.  I usually have my bodies set to around 3 fps, and when someone is asked to use it to take our photo, there is always a reaction because they end up taking several photos.  I also have Canon flashes, which can keep up, so not only is there a lot of clicking but there are the flashes to go along with the clicking.  Lots of people look at it as if it were a venomous snake, and it’s set to go a lot slower than a 1D!

We were at a very large street party and some time after it was dark I observed a group of women, one of them was going to take their photo with a P&S.  She had them all grouped together, pointed the camera, there was a flash, she relaxed her arm and the camera moved toward her hip, where it flashed again — while they were all laughing at having their photo taken!  So, my though is, that was a heck of a lag between red eye reduction and the photo!  I bet she got a really great photo of the pavement.   I didn’t know any of them and didn’t say anything, but I recounted the story to a group in an office where we were chatting about photography during a break and one of the women in that group thought for a minute then said “Well, that explains a lot!”  So, if the general level of expertise is use of a P&S, and many don’t really understand how that works, what should their reaction be when your 1D goes off at the full frame rate?  Shocked giggles seems appropriate.

nesgran
    Participant

True, I giggle myself when I hear that sound

cassie
    Participant

LOL my toddler was standing next to me when I played that clip and she goes “Camera take lots of pictures!!!” she sure knows what that sound means…

Bill
    Participant

Alright, I got some good, some bad and some that are like WTF? was I thinking.

I got a late start into digital, mainly because I couldn’t afford a nice DSLR, which is slightly ironic when you look at my gear.

I will list mine, then explain my rationale, so you don’t think I am completely off the deep end.

Minolta SRT 101 35mm SLR – my very first “real camera” with the 50mm Rokkor
    Sony Mavica MVC-FD88 – Just plain awesome camera, yeah right, was a gift, nuff said, but still works.
    Sony Mavica MVC-CD500 – was still shooting film at the time and memory was over $100 for 128MB
    Canon A-1 35mm – like this camera, but never really used it that much
    Canon 7D
    Canon 1DX – really love this camera, but not the price.
    Canon T3i/600D – bought from a friend to help him out, I think I have used this twice, maybe 3 times.
    24-70 f/2.8 L version 1
    70-200 f/4 IS
    70-200 f/2.8 IS II – pretty much my go to lens, but wish it were lighter
    50 f/1.2
    135 f/2 – love the sharpness of this lens, just wish I used it more
    8-15 f/4 fisheye
    TS-E 17 f/4 – very nice lens style paperweight
    400 f/2.8 IS – love this lens also, but wished it were 10 pounds lighter

As for my lighting, I don’t have the most high end stuff, but it works perfectly for me.

an old POS Vivitar Thyristor 2500 flash – thing is like 25 years old, still working.
    4X Canon 580 EXII Speedlites
    6X AB800 ALien Bees
    8X AB1600 Alien Bees
    Alien Bees Ring-flash

I have a bunch of soft-boxes with speedrings and various sized umbrellas to fit the AB’s and I shoot the AB’s off with Yongnuo Radio remotes

JanJan
    Participant

@Sharra….I was drooling over your list and I’m honestly quite embarrassed to list my gear. But here goes nothing…

Nikon D7000
    Nikon D3000
    Nikon 35mm, 50mm, 85mm all 1.8
    Nikon 18-55mm kit lens, which I barely use unless I need to go wider and there is enough lighting
    Tamron 18-200mm (piece of crap)

Yongnuo YN-560II speedlight
    2 Yongnuo flash triggers

I borrow my nephew’s 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 sometimes, but it’s a 3-hour trip from Vegas to San Bernardino County, Cali to pick it up.

@Sharra
    , I’m assuming you picked up all that equipment over time right? I’ve been doing more and more event photography, and I really want my own 24-70 and 70-200 so I don’t have to bring too many lenses with me.

Gosh, I’m feeling poorer and poorer by the minute!

Sharra
    Participant

@alarnold, No need to feel embarrassed. I just hope I’m not coming off as bragging to anyone here. It’s not the equipment—it’s what you do with it. I recently watched a YouTube clip about some creative still life photography that was taken with a D7000 and the shots were pretty cool (at least to me). I also mentioned in another thread about my disappointment over some recent landscape photos I took, even after metering with a Sekonic meter and using a CP on my D800 with 17-35 2.8. As I mentioned, I’ve acquired it all over the course of 6.5 years since I first got into Nikon with the D300. I was always of the mentality that it’s better to invest first in better lenses that will help me produce better imagery than consumer grade kit lenses. I’m still learning to use them to their full potential, but I’m getting there, slowly and surely, as family commitments will allow.

I mentioned the Yongnuo flashes to Jones a couple days ago. What are your thoughts on them?

Jones
    Participant

For those with the YongNuo flash units, what do you think of them? A YN 560 III for $95 is certainly more attractive than an SB-910 for $550.

Are they pretty reliable? Also, this is a bit far out there question, but I know they have a stroboscopic “repeater” mode. Can that be triggered wirelessly somehow?

I’ve been looking to do a project similar to Joe McNally’s stroboscopic dancers, but don’t quite have the resources he does to pull it off. Any one have any ideas on how to trigger … 6-ish of them wirelessly in that repeater mode? Without affecting the exposure by a huge slaving flash? 😀

JLiu
    Participant

I just sold the Nikon D3s, D700 and Nikkor 85/1.4.  I’m now rockin’:

Nikon D800
    Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15 ZF.2
    Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 ZF.2
    Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM
    Nikkor 105/2.8 AF-S Micro
    Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VRII
    3x SB-900
    And a lot of LEE filters.

I want to move to medium format, but I’m gonna wait while I get better at the landscape shooting.

@Sharra
    – that’s a sexy list.

cassie
    Participant

Jones I’ve been super happy with my yongnuo 560. I’ve only used it manually because my camera doesn’t have the right support for it otherwise, bit’s super easy to use/ get the hang of. I bought it on Amazon for like $50, you can get the 560iii for around $65 on there right now. I don’t have the $ to drop on Nikon speed lights and the reviews for this were excellent both on and of camera. I’ve yet to try ocf with it but it is supposed to work really well and reviews said the slave was  reliable. It is also pretty consistent. I think for what it  costs it’s a good value.

nesgran
    Participant

the 560 III has a built in receiver that works with their rf603 transceivers. They are reasonably well built and reliable. The only speedlight that I would buy over it would be the canon 600rt as long as ettl isn’t a necessity then there are more aspects to consider but if you are looking for a decent manual flash for OCF work that is cheap you could do far worse than a couple 560 III’s. For on camera flash I wouldn’t since it is manual only.

There is a transmitter coming out for them that will allow you to set power remotely.

-e- apparently yongnuo have cracked canon’s rt system, very interesting and their st-e3-rt will have af assist

JustAndy
    Participant

Maybe it should be, what gear do you really rely on?

24-70 & 70-200.  Neither are my favorites, but they are bread and butter lenses.  Not listing brands; doesn’t matter (nikon vs canon)

…actually I shoot more tintypes on 4×5 these days, so, yeah… I hate hauling that bastard around.

emf
    Participant

Damn it – this thread has got me thinking of new stuff too much!

On my want list for a while has been either the Nikkor DC 105, or 135 – as portraits are my main interest. Has anyone had any experience of these?

ebi
    Participant

I’m a canon guy so I cannot speak to nikon lenses but I find the canon 85mm 1.2L to be a really great portrait lens. Most of my portraits have a tendency to be done in very tight spaces (like the portrait of the female chef in my flickr stream). so I tend to shoot with the 50 1.2L. I’d not dare use the zoom for it b/c the distortion really sucks.

Someone hit my car while parked a few weeks ago and both my laptop and tripod were busted in the accident. I’m waiting on a check from the insurance company and then I think I’m gonna finally break down and get that 24-70. Although, I can think of a million other things that I could spend the money on and of course it’s all gear related.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.