Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Putting on My Big Girl Panties!!

• This topic has 31 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IHF.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    nesgran
    Participant

oh dear, this just got interesting

IHF, have you been kind enough to let the copyright holders know that their stuff has been stolen?

IHF
    Participant

Nesgran,
    I haven’t notified the original artists yet. I was hoping she’d clean up and fly right. Her site was down momentarily, and I thought that was what she was doing. Turns out she was just adding a new logo (eye roll).
    I just want to give her a chance to do the right thing before I get all legal on her ass. I know she can’t afford to pay restitution and/or any bills/invoices that may be sent her way. I also don’t want her Facebook page and website to be forced down due to whatever backlash her infringement/plagiarism might cause. Call me crazy, but… I want to give her the chance to clean up first.

But hey! If anyone else wants to get the ball rolling, feel free. I won’t try to stop you. As the clock  ticks I get hotter and hotter over this.

IHF
    Participant

Plus one of them doesn’t look like she knows what she is doing either and I’m doubting she’s the original creator of the content either.  OY!  Fauxtographers sure do make a mess of things

IHF
    Participant

Ok she just posted an ad on her Facebook using another photographer’s images.  Just 17 minutes ago!  GAME ON!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/DevisonPhotography

original source

http://brookeschultzphotography.com/blog/the-bairds-lifestyle-family-session-at-home/

IHF
    Participant

They have all been contacted but one.  Their contact me didn’t work and I could find no other way to contact them other than the form.  I’d let them know that their form doesn’t work, but there’s no way to contact them lol oops!  I wonder how business is going?

IHF
    Participant

She’s taken her site down, and has apologized to at least one photographer that I know of. She also removed the post on Facebook using stolen images, and removed the images from her album, but only after she was asked to publicly on her Facebook wall.

Bobbie, maybe you should have listened to that mean, awful, honest lady here on YANAP and saved yourself some embarrassment? Maybe, just maybe if I was right about this, I might be right about the other things I mentioned in your critique? Maybe? Maybe others were right as well? Maybe we were honest and open with you, and not big ol meanie bullies for saying you have things to work on?

Just know, I’ll be keeping my eye on you (thieves are usually repeat offenders) even when I’m blocked, I can still see your page, I can still see your website, and I can still contact people you stole from. I can still take screen shots and send you into the photo stealers blog as well.

Time to start being a legit, honest, and hard working photographer like you claim to be.

cj
    Participant

After seeing a hit from this thread on my website I contacted her and told her to remove my content from her site.  I did not receive a message from anyone and my form works, but thank you for calling her out so I could have my content removed.

IHF
    Participant

Cj, it was your form that didn’t work. But now I see where your phone number is and feel a little stupid for not seeing it before. I was able to fill out the form, but it wouldn’t submit. I tried both on my computer and on my iPad. It also acts funny when you click to pull it up.

Good on you for figuring this all out on your own. Sorry this happened to you :/ and I really wish she would have just listened to me the first time I brought it up, instead of adding even more content that wasn’t hers. I hate when things go too far, but I’m really glad I could help. Also glad she is obliging everyone, and not being nasty to you all. Hopefully this will be the end of her stealing adventures.

nesgran
    Participant

Well done, shame I spent 15 minutes looking through her photos and giving a critique

IHF
    Participant

Nesgran,
    It reinforces my understanding of why some photogs are short with their critiques, and only elaborate when asked. I may have to stay away from offering any criticism for a while so I don’t just say “yep, you’re a fauxtographer”, without any explanation.

But, then I remember that these critiques/posts are also read by people looking for laughs and ALSO by some looking for help. Your critique was well written and spot on, and it was worth your time. Even if it didn’t help the OP, it most likely helped someone else.

When I first started getting more serious, and it was time to start printing I had a heck of a time figuring it all out. I didn’t know anything about preparing files for labs, color profiles, or anything about color managing at all. I thought I could just send my files off anywhere and get back a perfect photograph. It was forums and posts and discussions like what we have here at YANAP that helped me get through my calibration, color managing, printing nightmare. If I hadn’t had forums/posts to read on the subject it would have taken me a lot longer to figure out, and I would have went even more insane (and broke lol) than I already had. Same could be said for basic and even more advanced composition techniques, editing, exposure, focus, business, pricing, fonts, layout, etc all the things we talk about here and try to help people correct and perfect.

It’s never a waist of time offering critisim. With that said though… I’m still taking a break lol just to angry to want too help anyone.

emf
    Participant

i agree with IHF, the crits here are very helpful – ironically, I find this the most helpful critique site. If the OP doesn’t want to listen that’s their problem – but  lots of people are listening and learning loads – so thanks 🙂

jrob
    Participant
    IHF
    Participant

Jrob
    Good. It’s looks like she has more than just me being her watchdog. I’ve been a fan of the photostealers blog for quite a while, and one thing that you see very often is business name changes. Sometimes after being featured on the blog, but sometimes there will be multiple business names behind them before the feature, because they most likely ran into trouble before. It wouldn’t surprise me if she opened up shop soon under a new name. Hopefully with no stolen content, but realistically… 8 times out of 10 they keep up with the stealing, and fraudulent behavior.
    Bigger names don’t have that luxury, so they just diligently delete everything and anything related to their thievery, in the hopes that it will blow over. Some do this and actually continue copying and pasting, infringing, using unlicensed music, what have you. I don’t think these people understand how the Internet works or somthing. Because if you steal, you WILL eventually get caught, there it is for the world to see. Using other people’s work to market yourself, is like robbing a store and videotaping your acts and putting it on YouTube. Freakin stupid. And since stealing others creative work is the lowest thing any creative could ever do, you instantly lose any and all credibility you may have in your field.

Peterography
    Participant

This was definitely an interesting thread

IHF
    Participant

lol So now you know what I’m like when I kinda lose my cool… lol I re read it and man!  It makes me blush.  Yeah, I was right and doing the right thing, but still it’s embarrassing to see myself this way.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.