Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Photo Shoot Etiquette

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Laura Beth
    Participant

This is a fairly silly question. Bear with me.

I know that most photographers use plain black/grey camera straps, or even the strap that came with their camera. Is it tacky to use an old 70’s-tastic camera strap for a photo shoot, or even a wedding? You know the kind I’m talking about. The kind that looks like someone was trying to mimic Native American weaving patterns, in yellow, brown, and black. I’ve used the same camera strap since I got my first SLR when I was 13. The strap belonged to my grandfather, and it just doesn’t feel right to use something else.When I changed to digital from film, I switched the strap over. I just upgraded to a new DSLR, and I’m wondering if it’s unprofessional to continue my nostalgic tradition with this tacky camera strap.

So, back to my question- Is it inappropriate to use this strap? Should I give in and use a boring plain black strap?

That ends the silliness. Thank you for reading.

Use whatever the hell you want.  Its also a good story if anyone asks about it.

chikimia
    Participant

I never see what strap a photographer is using, what I do see is what equipment they are using.  Who cares! what everyone thinks, you have the strap for a reason, if is something you like and love why not.

dicksforeyes
    Participant

What an insanely stupid question.

chikimia
    Participant

What an insanely stupid answer….

why you bother answering then?

Laura Beth
    Participant

Because that’s what he does. Believe me, it doesn’t bother me. I expected worse, to be honest.

I know it’s a silly question. But it is relevant. I have personally seen a photographer get yelled at by the mother of the bride because she didn’t like the photographer’s hairstyle. When people are stressed out, the tiniest things can set them off. I was simply wondering if a tacky camera strap would be out of the norm enough to be noticeable.

dicksforeyes
    Participant

It’s a comment, not an answer. Why did you bother commenting?

I swear this is the dumbest Internet community I’ve ever in which I’ve ever participated.

jetpix
    Participant

“I swear this is the dumbest Internet community I’ve ever in which I’ve ever participated.”

Once more, in English, PLEASE.

dicksforeyes
    Participant

Pretending that a mistyped sentence is a grammatical error or that either is comparable to an error of logic is the hallmark of pseudo-intellectuals, and apparently alzheimery old fauxtogs alike.

jetpix
    Participant

Being the most arrogant SOB on the planet and calling other people stupid, when you cannot even correctly type a simple sentence, is the hallmark of an angry, immature waanabe living in his video-game fantasy world.

dicksforeyes
    Participant

I can’t type a simple sentence? Really? Are you sure about this?

What would not being able to correctly type a sentence have to do with being angry or immature or living in a video-game fantasy world anyway? Or were those just words you stuck together rather than a coherent progression of concepts?

Sooner or later you people are going to have to consider the possibility that you’re actually breathtakingly stupid and that I am merely an impartial observer.

IHF
    Participant

DFE

Just stated what a lot of people were already thinking lol

Was it necessary to post it?  Nah, but DFE is dfe he enjoys stating the obvious.  I think I find it more funny that you all took offense to it.  Glad I decided to take a peak at this thread, it was a good way to start the day lol

Marchella
    Participant

I’m @ Facebook.com/whyhellomarcy

I think you want to look your very best for a wedding, in a manner that appeals to all to be able to attract a new customer. You want to be approachable by all. If you get paid a big chunk of cash for a wedding you want to dress the part. Unless you do it  for free. I’ve been a 2nd shooter & never have i asked if I can wear my mother’s favorite pair of old jeans to the shoot… Maybe it’s not entirely the same but I personally would dress totally different than who I am. I dress like I’m about to go on a boat, but for weddings I dress well head to toe. I have my hair done, makeup, and I wear dressy flat shoes.

chikimia
    Participant

fun fun reading these comments/answers/repplies …whatever you want to call it and yeah you are a very smart… congratulations.

Nightrose
    Participant

Laura Beth, you should definately keep using the strap!  It has a great history and is an essential part of your kit.  Besides, who wants to be like everyone else?

Having said that, I use a “boring” black strap, but I opted for Black Rapid who have designed one for women and it is the best invention ever!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.