Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Ok…. Just curious

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Intuition
    Participant

“Her posing is what it is because she carries magazines of pose ideas with her or tags along with ine of the folks in her little photo club and shoots exactky what they setup” This is not really a bad thing, at least I don’t think so. I look through magazines and try to replicate the lighting and look, I look at other people’s work and try to replicate it, because they are better then me, know the business better then me, and I’m learning. I’ve been using classic light set ups ( Rembrandt, butterfly, split and loop) a lot so that I can get those down and then move on to more kinds of lighting in studio. Everyone starts somewhere. Shoot even in drawing I started out copying other artists Cartoon characters when I was a kid.

IHF
    Participant

“And on another note, that “friend” I mentioned in a prior post, here’s her page. She’s convinced because she worked at walmart studio she is a pro… even I can laugh at these”

Seems like intent to be malicious to me, but maybe laughing at photos is your way of encouraging someone?

So her photography is on the same level as yours even though you have been shooting for years and years, and your experience started with film, and she just bought a camera.  Why?  she chooses to shoot with other togs at already set up sessions and learn what she can from them, she reads magazines and other publications, and uses them for inspiration, and to learn from as well……. Hummmmmmm…… That’s crazy!  I can see why you are so upset with her and her “I love photography, and just bought my first camera” Guinness “secret” marketing campaign.  ??? (eye roll)

“most people that aren’t paying top dollar and getting a free shoot basically usually don’t want to work with you on posing right, getting in a good balanced light area etc not from my experience”

No.  Most people who hire a photographer PERIOD expect the photographer to know what they are doing, and don’t have the patience to help people learn or to sit/stand there for an hour while we figure things out.  This is why it’s important to know your gear inside and out, and be able to make setting changes like second nature, know how to use light, pose, direct and/or set up shots so things move quickly and smoothly, BEFORE taking on clients.  And then there are people that have no clue what goes into a good photograph and can’t see the difference anyway, they also want things to go quickly.  If the later is what you want for clients, then keep doing what you are doing.  If youre serious, and want clients that care and understand the work that is involved, then don’t put your camera in the closet.  Shoot, learn, grow

What are you doing right?  You questioned what you were doing, and the quality of your work.  You were brave enough to post here for critique.  You stuck around and took the heat instead of ignoring.  Now, its up to you if you add to that list I just made 

you listened to your critiques, and acted on all the advice that was given, your photography improved by leaps and bounds.  The ball is in your court.

batgirl
    Participant

I don’t bash her using magazines for inspiration I use books as well at times, but I dont carry them with me. I have no beef with her doing photography. What I did have an issue with was that she knew I did the special needs kids and that it was meaningful to me. I don’t post those pics on facebook unless the family truly wants me to and even those that have said its ok to, I havent yet and am back and forth on if I should or not. She was basically a little sister type to me for years. I taught her a few things about how to leave auto mode and how to shoot in raw etc.. I fixed a few of her “indians” (red people all over) for her and then she joined a local photography group that basically has a hierachy of standards, the top person’s rates can not be exceeded by anyone else in the group, its really kinda like a communist group from what I understand ::shrugging shoulders:: I did so much for her for free, she had zero willingness to cooperate, she wanted her man in pics yet he refused to shave or dress half decent, she brought me her baby at 6 weeks old, starving and in dire need of a nap with a bunch of stuff and outfits she wanted pics in (with no warning) and said will you take some pics, then that Christmas she does it again saying she needed them for her christmas gifts she was having photos on and she knew I was most likely to get the best shots. But overnight she decides I’m competition, I dont even do paid stuff I seriously dont! If someone I do offers a tip thats one thing but other than factoring in gas and stuff I mentioned above I dont say here’s my rates. Her and her group criticized my doing special needs kids and basically called a poker move by saying oh not only will they do special kids, but they will do cancer patients, military etc and that a few photogs would participate in each. Yes it upset me that all I want to actually do is work with the kids, thats it. And she had to do that crap. She assisted me (by carrying stuff and I paid her for it) with Amanda and Rickys wedding and I let her do a few pics. I posted maybe 3 of them for her so she felt special and as soon as she started her page up she grabbed a few from my page and put them on hers as her work (the ones she took werent) and then she posted her link on MY page saying that she knew i didnt like maternity or babies so she figured she’d offer herself to anyone wanting those types of pics and came across my page. THAT is why I am not cool with her. And she has said she wont invest in any additional gear because she sees no point. She’ll just do all her pics in wide open sunlight and she’ll be fine. Thats cool. I have the gear I have because I knew what I needed to do the best I wanted to do. I think its great to learn from others, I wish I had the free time to do so as well. Obviously with 5 kids, full time law school, working PRN at the hospital and dealing with lifes other crap, I hardly have time to breathe. Photography was my one thing that I felt was mine, I could do it with none of my kids interrupting me, I could focus on taking pictures of what I wanted to, play with the settings, learn how they work etc… I cant figure out the alien bee lights. I know that might sound stupid but I suppose I am missing something simple and just need to have an ah ha moment. So maybe I dont need more gear or i have too much gear for my lack of expertise, but I have the knowledge to know that skill and the lens can make or break a pic. Once you master lighting and the little camera tweaks yeah you can shoot with a kit lens and get good shots but I want the shots I get from my 50mm 1.2L and I miss my 24-70 :(((( I could cry just thinking about it. As far a having a group of photo friends to go work with, I sadly never meet the criteria for any sort of group activity. My life is way too busy and childcare is something I do not have the luxury of.

As for learning- I have all of Scott Kelby’s books on Digital Photography, I used to read up on the dps online page regularly for stuff but all I find are shortcuts I want the long method so I can develop the true way of doing it then I’ll find my own shortcuts that work for me. So does anyone suggest any books, (videos would be better lol) or sites that would be helpful that would be great.

And out of curiosity do any of you have links to your work? I would love to see some of it.

And my stupid random autocorrect moments are compliments of Apple and their ingenious sense of humor. 😉

Notaphotographer
    Participant

Batgirl, since you asked about landscapes I thought I would share this link for you.  This photogpapher is a master.  I first found him several years ago and his techinical skills are amazing with a camera. Most of the landscape shots are done with an old film technique using a black card. It is tough to master. These images have almost no work done to them. He is a master retoucher but he is very honest and will label a photo manipulated. This is what can be accomplished when you understand your gear and light.

http://www.facebook.com/fuphotography#!/fuphotography

IHF
    Participant

Not a tog, thank you so much for posting that!  WOW!  Fantastic!

batgirl

,How I read the first paragraph of your last reply:
    faux faux faux faux faux faux faux faux faux faux faux excuses excuses excuses faux faux faux faux faux faux faux faux faux I am so a faux, save me.

As far as resources to recommend, I’m afraid you wouldn’t be interested in mine.  I have limited vision, see better in a more controlled lighting situation, and cannot drive, so if I ever do this for hire, my clients will have to come to me.  Although I DO shoot outdoors and enjoy  learning both natural light and manip, lifestyle and studio.  The truth is, I have good days and bad days when it comes to my eyes, and cannot see ever shooting lifestyle, outdoor, on location, for hire because of my limitations.  So I’ve been teaching myself studio, and submerging myself in it.

Lifestyle: traditionally lifestyle is a genre of photography that,  in short and without a long drawn out explanation, is beautiful people doing interesting things.  The shots are made to look even better than real life, and are used for advertising, publications, and even sold as fine art.  Recently the portrait world has adopted the word lifestyle to describe the genre of portraiture I believe you are saying you would like to shoot when you cut on and bash posed studio portraiture when describing your photography style.  So google “lifestyle portraiture” and see what you come up with.  Also fitting your description of what style or genre you would to shoot is documentary photography or journalistic. I think just using and knowing the proper terms will help your research and communication immensely.

Even though I know you are asking for a link to my work for the sole purpose to subject me to criticism, I will go ahead and do it against my better judgment.  Again I don’t think you will be too interested in what I post publicly, because you have expressed that you are more into photo manipulation, and I am more into SOC with minimal editing.  I do not post my portraiture or studio experiments publicly unless I need help or critique as I am not portfolio building, shooting people other than family, or wishing for business, as of yet so there is no need for it.
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/onegoodeye/portfolio

IHF
    Participant

That was supposed to read “doing interesting, EVERY DAY things”.

IHF
    Participant

I also feel compelled to again remind you of your fb business page’s about bio

I’m available to do just about any kind of session you would want from Weddings, Engagement, Maternity, Newborns, kids, family, seniors, events such as birthday, family reunions etc. and anything else you might want awesome memories of captured forever. I do everything on the location you chose (extra charges may apply for travel more than 10 miles from my home for shorter sessions) Session fees are currently very flexible based on what I am doing and the number of final images you want. Rates begin at $35 for a basic photo session which gives you at least 10 digital images sent to you via email. Weddings and events start at $150 which gives you a minimum of 50 final edited images sent to you an a CD or DVD. Additional discs or to receive a disc of the shorter sessions instead of email there is a nominal $5 fee. Please allow 7-10 days (usually much less) for discs to be prepared. Images will be added to this page for you to preview.    ”

Read through this entire thread and see the numerous contradictions.  Time to start being honest with yourself, and honest in your business.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.