Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Ok…. Just curious

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    batgirl
    Participant

I’ll check those links thanks. I was typing war and peace novels 1-3 when you posted it lol.

IHF
    Participant

And having an expertise in this specialty is worth something, your time is worth something, your patience  and understanding are worth something, and with time  and work, the images you will create are worth something.  A lot more than just a few cents, or nothing at all.  You need to learn, and then understand the value of what you learned.  Your clients will only see your worth if you see it and respect it

IHF
    Participant

Don’t buy any equipment right now.  The equipment you currently have is more than capible.  Use it, learn it.  There are all kinds of ways to use given light to your advantage.  Even on board flash can be used successfully by bouncing, reflecting etc. You can make scrims and reflectors very cheaply.  Learn how to use the environment around you.  Trees can diffuse light beautifully, and with fill or reflector you can make it wow!  Shade, walls, overhangs etc can all be used to reflect and diffuse light to your advantage.

I have 2 lenses, a body, and 2 soft boxes.  It’s what I started with a few years ago, and I have no near future plans of purchasing anymore.  Why? I still haven’t learned everything I can do with what I currently have. But I also am under no pressure to preform because I don’t shoot for others.

Look I struggle with charging too.  No I don’t shoot for money, or involve people in my learning process, but I do have finished art for sale.  At first I couldn’t even dream of charging anything for them, but that got to be way too expensive for me, way too quickly.  Then I thought I’d charge at cost.  But then I learned that if I had interest in purchasing my work from people that were no way personally invested in my art, then it’s worth something, and my time is worth something, I can do something they are unable to do, and they apreciate that.  I started investing in my own art, and learned the value of it, and starting charging accordingly, so I actually made money of a finished work.  Lol no, I’m not making any kind of money to even talk about because my art just isn’t a marketable genre of photography like portraits have the potential to be. But, I finally realize it has value.  Once I realized this, my sales improved.  Before, people couldnt see the value, because I didn’t see it….ugh I’m rambling…I’m sorry

But my point is…. To be a success at whatever you hose to do with your photography.  You HAVE to change the way you currently think about it entirely?  What you are currently doing, and the way you currently think and feel, will get you no where

IHF
    Participant

As far as the unwanted referrals go.  It’s what happens when you put it all out there that you are a photographer! Especially a photographer for hire.

Ive had too many people to count ask me to take their portraits, and shoot their events based on my photos of me goofing with the kids and my art. lol “hey! Will youshoot our wedding.  We really like your work, and we know you will do a good job.”.  It cracks me up.  So you like my photograph of moss and this makes you think I can shoot your wedding?!  Obviously, they weren’t trying to hire me because of my skill, only my good camera and they thought “hey!  She’ll be cheap!”. No they aren’t mean or trying to be malicious in anyway, but people can and do take advantage, especially if they know nothing about photography and can’t tell the difference between good or bad, or don’t care.  I mean, not everyone lives and breaths photography everyday, and I get that.

archy
    Participant

What part of your photography page were you hoping to get critiqued? You disclaimed a majority of it in your introduction. No one has given you feedback on your images because of that. If you narrow it down to at least one album on there, i’m sure you’ll get more constructive criticism.

IHF
    Participant

Amanda and Ricky’s wedding:

Beautiful location, and a lovely bride

Nice snaps that look as though a guest took them.  When you had a chance to set up shots and not just document the event, you didn’t pay enough attention to the light, very splotchy light and shadows.  Strange editing as well, just kinda all over the place.  No consistency.

Circus museum:

Very cool location, and interesting subject matter.

Your focus is off most of the shots.  I realize you were shooting through glass, but… Have you learned how to select your focus points?  If not, you need to, it’s fundamental.  Rule of thirds wasn’t followed or broken properly in any of your shots.  Editing is odd.  Again, with the outdoor shots, no attention to light was paid. And the pov is boring and mundane, like no effort at all was made.  “hey! Cool tree! Snap!”   They look like snaps that anyone with a camera taking a tour of the place would take.  I’m sorry…..

I think you just really need to slow down and think before snapping.  It almost looks as though you are just in auto spraying away, and then picking the best 100 out of the thousand photos you took.  When it should be the best 10 or even 5 out of 20.  This is the way most people shoot, not photographers.  learn to use your feet, to get your comp framed properly, don’t shoot always at eye level, get down, get up, move in, move out etc work it, and make it right, and then snap.

batgirl
    Participant

Archy primarily Amanda and Ricky’s wedding and maybe the trading post thrift store or nature album.

I know I need to work on light. That’s the biggest challenge. I didn’t have my 7D until recently and shot with a t3i and 60D. T2i was my backup. I’m still learning the 7D. To be honest doing free sessions while I practice makes me worry more that in the future if someone wants Photo’s that I did a freebie for will expect that again. I prefer not to shoot people really, if I do I’d rather capture their natural expressions and personality not a formal pose. It’s just my style. Ringling was def a challenge. Shooting through glass in a dim area with a tour guide rushing us a long and my inlaws getting annoyed that I had to bring my camera along. I do want to get a good lens beyond my 50, what do you recommend that’s going to give a good balance of bokeh and clarity that is fast and basically has a good range that’s going to compare to the 24-70 but a bit more affordable? I can’t seem to get the quality I want from the 55-250 or 18-135. The 50 is awesome. But it’s limited since its fixed. And how do you use reflectors and such when you have no one to hold them?

It seems like you have too much gear for someone that is so inexperienced.  To be perfectly honest, the pictures in your nature album are atrocious.  The images are boring, not focused, have too much bad post processing, and some have no contrast and look foggy.  I can say that I have taken better pictures with my iphone.  You have a case of, more expensive camera = better pictures syndrome.  As for your reflector “problem”, take some of that money your spending on cameras and buy a reflector stand from amazon for like $4o.  If you would like an honest critique, create a “critique”  album and place what you feel are your 10 best images and I’ll take a look and give you my opinion.

IHF
    Participant

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=473094829369209&set=a.468996043112421.117643.205480156130679&type=3

I like this one.  I can even get past the fact that it’s crooked.  It has good balance, lines, and captured a moment and mood.  I think its lovely, but i also think it was captured by chance, and not with intent.

The rest of your photos in the albums you pointed out to be critiqued kind of make me think “there’s an hour I won’t get back”

Follow the advice that was given to you, and this could be a huge turning point for you.

Forget the gear, your gear is perfectly capable, more than capable, now it’s time to work behind the lens, and learn how to use your gear properly.  I shoot with a 50 and my 7d all the time, and my photos are focused, clearly thought out and composed, and exposed properly, don’t look like snap shots taken with a cell phone, and dont need to be edited to heck to try to make them interesting.  Yes, a 50mm has limitations, all lenses do, it’s your job to know the limitations, the sweet spots, what works and what doesn’t, and why.  A prime lens is perfect for learning with, and you own one of the best.  Primes are also almost always used for portraiture, they are preferred by portrait photographers over multifocal lenses more often than not.  You have it covered, now go out there and shoot with intent

batgirl
    Participant

The one you liked of the riverfront was a snapshot taken with a higher end Canon point and shoot. A mix of what I have on my page is not totally here’s what I do daily but a recollection of what I have done. A LOT of my nature album pics were taken with a stupid xsi and an 18-55 no flash etc or a point n shoot . In most of those its not about natural look to me its about art, what can I do with it to make it look awesome (or at least to me) It seems everybody wants vintage/sepia these days or  color isolation. “make my babies eyes blue and the rest of the pic black and white because Sears did it on the proofs and it looked good”

I do appreciate the help ya’ll I truly do but some you only seem to look for the worst of the worst not just mine but I’ve read through alot of posts on here and its a trend. I guess constructive criticism like I hate fauxtography is doing is good. But I also wanted to say, I know the true pro’s look at fauxtogs as someone who doesnt do perfect work but gets paid. I also make jewelry and frames, I’m sure its not perfect, someone does it better etc but does that make me a fauxcrafter? Everyone starts somewhere, getting a college degree in pro photography is kinda rare.Resp Therapy and am finishing my pre law. But I’d still give it all up to take photos of sick kids. So all that aside if I keep working on this am I even capable of doing it to the high standards some of yall have?

And on another note, that “friend” I mentioned in a prior post, here’s her page. She’s convinced because she worked at walmart studio she is a pro… even I can laugh at these ones. http://www.facebook.com/MotherhoodMomentsPhotography?ref=ts

archy
    Participant

The weakest photo isn’t picked to poke fun. It is picked pecause it shows the lowest standard for yourself. Why include bad photos at all? Why not give the best so that you can say we critiqued the worst of the best instead. I ,as well as others, will disagree about “high standards”. What you are basically saying is that you get the job done, whether it be good or bad. It doesnt matter that you get the job done. And some people DO go to school for photography. You just shat all over their education with that statement. Would you rather trust your autistic child in the capable hands of someone who has gone to university and majored in a field that specializes in socializing/educating children with disabilitie? Or would you have your friend’s teenagr daughter come over and help him/her work through his/her autism? Would you send your sick child ti a pediatrician or would you ask the lady at the holistics shop? Who would you prefer make your medication? A pharmcist, or the guy down the street with his stash of chemicals and equipment that can “make the same thing”.

Get the picture?this is why some people are JUST hobbyists. You discredit a whole profession by assuming you can do the same thing the pros are doing just because you’ve purchased pro equipment. I could go on. I feel like you used the noble cause of photographing autistic children as a cruch for your bad photography. It doesnt matter WHY you are taking the photo, it matters that you arent taking good photos. IHF gave you good advice. Improve yourself with what you have before you fly off the handle and invest in new things.

IHF
    Participant

” I know I need to work on light.  That’s my biggest challenge”

Photography is all about light and knowing how to use it and capture it properly.  So what  my ears just heard you say was “photography.  That’s my biggest challenge”.  As soon as you hear it that way, you’ll be on the right track.

As for your friend I find it kind of crappy and mean spirited that you posted her link to poke fun, AND it shows me that you are not willing to make yourself better and would rather look at things as “I could be so much worse.  What I am doing is just fine.”. So I think I’m done waisting my time trying to get through to you, and help you.  You obviously don’t need it or want it.

BTW your friends photos are no worse than yours.  The subject matter is different, but you both are neck and neck as far as skill level.  She seems to shoot with intent though, and seems to have more creativity.  Yes, she’s doing it wrong, but guess what?  so are you

IHF
    Participant

And do think I care that the photo I liked was taken with a point and shoot rather than your 7d?  Does that make my complement\critique less credible to you somehow?  Do you think that just because it was taken with a crapier camera, that it makes it crap?  lol

The very best photo I have taken in the past 3 months was taken with my cell phone.  Yes, I wish I would have been more prepared for the moment, and thought “ugh! Why didn’t I bring my camera!?  Light like this happens so rarely, and I know I could have shot this better if only!” but that doesn’t make the photo crap.  Time to step out of your gear box, and realize that the camera, the settings, the situation, and how the photog got the shot, is only important to the photographer.

Yes, we all have to start somewhere, but people that live in the same reality that I do, don’t start by jumping into business and thinking they can do what a pro  tog can do without putting in any time or effort, or shooting for themselves instead of others to learn FIRST

IHF
    Participant

And btw shooting for yourself and not for others, doesn’t mean “doing sessions for people for free” lol

batgirl
    Participant

I think you totally missed my point in everything I last said… I did not discredit those who have a degree in photography   I was saying its not a super common thing. Graphic design etc seems to be a more common degree for those that have a related college degree in it.

I didn’t post my friend to poke fun. I posted it to show the one I mentioned a few posts ago about the bashing my post about special needs kids. Her posing is what it is because she carries magazines of pose ideas with her or tags along with ine of the folks in her little photo club and shoots exactky what they setup  i have my style and how i like to shoot, its  lt the sane as yours or his or hers etc  but its mine  im not being stubborn im just saying olan mills portrait studio work isnt what i want to do  And I don’t shoot to get the job done good or bad, but most people that aren’t paying top dollar and getting a free shoot basically usually don’t want to work with you on posing right, getting in a good balanced light area etc not from my experience. If I charge right now it’s seriously to cover gas, the DVD I give them their pics on and if they want me to print any out the cost of photo paper and ink.

In my little mini rant about you guys really only being negative was partly because just when I think I’m getting my techniques etc better, I ask for opinions from my husband or whoever and all anyone does is point out the flaws. I think sometimes people might want to at least know what they’re doing RIGHT. Because no one told me that much. I pushed my camera to the back of the closet for close to a year and only pulled it back out recently to try to start doing what I enjoy doing again. My confidence sucks I know my weaknesses believe it or not, and what I’m trying to learn is how to fix them. But I’d love to hear my strengths if I even posess any. I think I’ll put the camera back in my closet maybe later I’ll try again. Thanks anyway

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.