Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Common Mistakes? CC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    christinanina
    Participant

SUMMARY: What are common mistakes that fauxtogs make when trying to go into business? Please be honest with my work. I say I’m not a professional, but does asking for compensation for my time deceive people into thinking they will get the same work of a true professional, or seem like I’m trying to come off as one? In general, I say people get what they pay for. Of course you’re not going to get the same experience from a teenager babysitting your kids as you would a licensed childcare provider/nanny.  But photography is what I’m passionate about, and I’m willing to listen to everybody if that’s what it takes to grow.

https://www.facebook.com/ChristinaMPhoto

——————-now below are the ramblings of sleep-deprived me:

I want to do more than do decent enough to work at the local portrait studio. If people who aren’t connected to the subjects can find value, then hopefully that means I’m doing something right. Not much makes me happier though –when people tell me they love their pictures (although not many do**, except for the friends/parents or the ones I do for free.) *Could some of that be because I take pictures of people my age, and insecurity is a huge issue? I’d shoot someone’s pictures again if they were unhappy, or have even scheduled second sessions if they were late and it became too dark for good natural lighting in the area we were in and feel that is more than some places offer. But I just don’t know what to say when I think someone is absolutely adorable/gorgeous and they’re all “that picture of my back is probably the best one because no one can see my face” and they don’t like having their picture taken. I try to compliment more in those situations, because they usually open up after awhile. Also, how do photographers get better at making conversation and shooting at the same time?!

I keep hearing that I should studystudystudy for years and get more experience before I start charging. There has got to be more than that though, because I see people who have owned a camera for years and still are not professional-level. And I also have near dreams of getting a 50mm 1.4 lens, and there is no way I have time for a job to afford that and take pictures while balancing school at 16. Peers and others have told me I could do this professionally. One even said “it seems like all of these kids at school suddenly have photography businesses after you made your page”. IMO, everyone has to start somewhere, and I am certainly not the first fauxtographer to use social networking to get themselves out there. However, I feel that I have a better handle of things than I did when I started several months ago, although I do have a bad habit of taking too many shots (anywhere from 150-600 pictures)…bad habit after having gone from dslr after my film Minolta.

I still only have kit lenses, but I’m starting to use a reflector and hood lenses. If high schoolers are willing to pay $100-130 for a senior shoot, is it acceptable to ask for that, or am I committing some crime in the photography world and angering the Photo gods? I don’t want to sell myself short, or overcharge for my lack of experience. The whole reason I got into taking portraits, was because I’d see girls at my school with expensive cameras taking self-portraits with the popup flash and duckface. I am aware of how taxes work, but not concerned because I am dependent. I shoot almost daily, and started lower than other highschoolers who went from $50-300. I don’t have fancy equip., but portraits are what I love doing, because I think they make pictures so interesting.Yes, I’ve posted here before, but thought I’d ask again with my latest work, taken into consideration the critique I received. Also, I love following other photographers’ work, so please post links!

Al
    Participant

Let’s just start with the fact that I don’t even look at someone’s work who only has FB.  Call is snobbish, but to me it’s the first sign of newbness when someone doesn’t have some other online portfolio/presence/footprint.  With only FB you’re no different than every other Mom/dude W/a Camera.  Plus I can’t see FB where I’m currently at (work! gasp!)

I honestly didn’t read all you wrote.. short attention span. But I can tell you this… photography, as a business, is like 10% actual shooting, 90% business (which means marketing, admin, networking, etc, etc!).  So that’s one area you can spend some time learning (especially things like marketing, seo and how to run a legit business).  Then spend every single second you can shooting, and then shoot some more.  ‘studystudystudy’ is crap.  Shoot shoot shoot is the way to go. This way you learn you, your camera, and what your tend to shoot /what styles you take. And in between look at others work to get inspiration.  Find styles/looks and replicate them. Not saying flat out copy them, but work on achieving looks you have…. then make them yours!

For example, and I’m not saying these are awesome, but they are mine.  I do a series that I call my “portrait montages” which started when seeing some cool stuff others were doing merging multiple exposures.  First, I copied their work (which I kept to myself) until I felt I learned what I could technique wise.. then I went to step 2 which was “how can I make it MINE?” which is a way to say make it different. I then expanded on the images to start showing more and more of the background..  Now I have something (however good or bad) that I feel is distinctly mine.  Now I’m finding ways of evolving it so as to not get stale/stagnant.  here’s the linky: http://www.alborrelli.com/portfolio/portrait-montages

I really think people start worrying too much about when/where/how much they should charge.  I think people need to be more worried about whether the quality of their work stands out and whether or not they can duplicate that quality every.single.time. That’s crucial.  Having a portfolio with a few shots you got shit lucky with doesn’t mean crap unless you can consistently replicate that quality.  That’s what you need to aim for!

I am by no means saying don’t charge, everyone needs to start somewhere.  But make sure that if you’re “being a pro” you can produce like a pro. Every single time. If you can’t rely on getting quality every time, you need to shoot more.

Anyway..that’s my two eurocents.. I’ll check out your work asap and see if I need to tailor my comments! 😉
    EDIT: Please please please get somewhere else to show your work. FB is a great platform to direct clients/traffic to your real site/portfolio.. not your sole portfolio!

lansangel
    Participant

Don’t know much on using a DSLR and haven’t used one yet… here are some shots with me playing with our point and shoot… I am still a newbie with this…

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.471262339551362.106880.100000027996562&type=3

@TS Nice shots you got there… though not much to my taste… and so does my style with other people… to our own styles! hehehehehehehe…

IHF
    Participant

I’m going to  answer your questions without looking at your work, because with what you are asking, I think it’s irrelevant.

If you feel you need to work on your photography and it’s not up to par with what people will want to pay for, and you have been told by photographers that you need to work more on your technical skills, shooting for others will hinder you, not help.  Stop taking clients, and shoot for yourself only, until your work is consistent in quality, and it’s confirmed by  your photography peers.

If you feel you are ready to take on starting a business here are a few links for you

What is a fauxtographer
    http://www.takeoffyourmommygoggles.com/consumers/what-is-a-fauxtographer-2/

Going into business
    http://shuttercliq.com/listings/the-shuttercliq-10-step-guide-to-starting-a-photography-business/

http://www.zenologue.com/blog/2012/01/how-to-start-a-photography-business/

Cost of business calculator

http://www.nppa.org/professional_development/business_practices/cdb/cdbcalc.cfm

Pricing
    http://www.mcpactions.com/blog/2009/10/12/how-should-i-price-my-photography-words-of-advice-from-jodie-otte/

http://currentphotographer.com/understanding-the-art-of-pricing-your-photography-by-deborah-kaufman/

if just a hobby income is what you are after, and you just want to support your addiction.  Keep in mind that ALL hobbiests (not just photographers) that provide a service and/or product also take into consideration their time, their skill, and the cost of delivering the product to their customers.  What we do has value, and it’s worth more than just pennies.  So get over the insecuries of charging, figure out what your photographs are worth by using the calculator, and be secure in it.
    The catch 22 is there are literally thousands upon thousands of people just like you out there that haven’t taken the time to figure out what their photography is worth and are perfectly happy working for peanuts.  It’s a crazy time for anyone wanting to be a tog for hire.

Things to think about.  Insurance, and tax Id are a must.  Did you know that if you use your camera to make money, it will not be covered by most personal insurance? even hobby income is considered income?  Eventually you will have to upgrade your equipment (sooner than later if you are making that many actuations each session), and keep it maintained, and this should reflect in your prices.  What if your camera Takes a dump?  Oops! Outta business.  Back up cameras, lighting, etc all are very important expenses to concider, that not many ever do.  Photography isn’t free, so don’t charge like it is, if you are serious about making a go of it.  Good luck! 🙂

IHF
    Participant

And I agree with Al.  Facebook should only be used to direct people to your business

christinanina
    Participant

I have another site, but Facebook is what I update most. It’s a resource, I understand why some might be snobbish about it.

archy
    Participant

I think the people above either missed that you are 16 or just didn’t care. Actually, i even think that your images are more powerful than Al’s (you’re a lot of talk, sir. Sorry to say your images are boring). Sure, they have a point that you shouldn’t use facebook as your sole business page, but then again you are only 16 catering to a demographic of 16 year olds.

That being said, IF you are only catering to the younger crowd (and not the serious crowd like weddings or pregnant people or engagement couples) then keep charging what you are charging. Do not portray yourself like a real business if you do not plan to stock it and run it like a real business (i.e. Back up batteries/lenses/cameras/equipment/staff). If you think you are being short changed then stop shooting and charging people. You are learning, it’s pretty evident if you look at a very early picture vs your recent pictures. And you will get even better.

As for clients not liking their photos, i totally get it. I am one of those clients. My senior photos were amazing, they’d have been even more so if i wasn’t so…..gross. To be honest, the photographer never directed me. I was told “go sit on that stump” or “next to that wall, yeah left a little bit”. The photographer is perfectly capable of seeing the entire photo and can give great direction to make it even better for the client (mine should have said “don’t look like a fat troll eating ivy off that wall.” or “stand up straighter and look up, you look like the michelin man” ). In your photos your clients look relaxed and happy to be there, which is good. It shows that you are capable of directing them. So next time when you take a photo and if you know the person has some unresolved issues with certain flaws (acne, double chins, chunky face, big nose, …etc etc) give them some direction so you can hide the flaw in the photo. (if they have a bit of double chin have them look up at you a little. If they have fat face/big nose use short lighting. That is, shoot from the side that has the shadow. If they have acne….get them Clearasil or proactive….)

Anyway, you are doing good. Keep learning and keep your business humble until you can justify the price increase to your clients.

christinanina
    Participant

Thank you! I don’t plan to try to put myself out there, unless people (students) come to me for pictures. Besides seniors, I really only get people trying to put together a modeling/acting portfolio who tell me I should increase my prices but I want to make sure I can give them consistent work so I do a lot without charging which will be harder to do with school starting. Guess I’ll have to limit what I take. Don’t worry, I won’t steal babies and weddings from those who specialize in that work.

And I do want to upgrade and get more equipment (lenses, batteries) but I don’t want to go all out until I’ve mastered what I have and get a better camera body/laptop. But thank you again for taking the time to read and respond and the posing tips. I will do my best to have a “humble business” and not oversell myself. Artists tend to feel that they are better when photography for example, is an ever changing thing that you can learn so much from. Feedback from people other than friends and family helps. I guess there’s a balance between helpful encouragement and being honest and condescending that is difficult. I don’t want to become the kind of person that think I’m cool cause I have a camera, lol. And thanks to everyone else who answered this as well.

IHF
    Participant

Oh goodness!  I’m very embarrassed…sigh…  I didn’t read well enough to realize you were only 16.  I’m so very sorry.

I will be more careful from here on out.  Sometimes YANAP can bring out the worst in me.  I know I take photography way too seriously for most, and I tend to get on the defensive easily/quickly

After Archy pointed things out, I re read, AND took time to go through your images.  I must say I’m quite impressed!  You are doing really well.  I cant scream “keep going!” loud enough.

I first got into photography at your age.  I had the best teacher, but he was tough, and when he tried to push me harder all it did was make me back away and think “ugh! I suck!” Now I get what he was trying to do, but at the time it zoomed way over my head.  I figured I wasn’t good enough to continue to pursue it, and my parents didn’t support the idea either, so I pretty much stopped shooting all together.  Now  over 20 years later I’m finding myself making up for lost time.

Regardless wether this ends up as a career for you or not, I see your work developing into something wonderful!  You absolutely have an eye, and  I would love to live through you vicariously 😉

Please, still read the links I gave to you even if they don’t apply to your situation right now, they are still valid, and could help your future decisions.

I don’t post any of my portrature publicly (still learning, and only shooting family), so i doubt my “art” would be very helpful for you, but I’ll go ahead and post a link just in case I have something to offer you.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/onegoodeye/portfolio

chikimia
    Participant

I like your pictures!, they are young and fresh, obviously have and eye for it like everybody says, they all have great advise for you, believe in yourself, charge what you think you are worth taking in consideration your expenses and not sell yourself for less because you do not have the right equipment you think you need, you take better pictures that a lot of “photographer” out there with nice camera and lenses.

I wish I had the confidence at 16 like you to your own a business… and a camera lol (I used to steal my dad old asahi pentax).

A quote from Peter Adam: “Photography is not about cameras, gizmos and gadgets, photography is about photography, a camera didn’t make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a novel”   here is my site http://www.martaboschmann.com don’t consider myself a pro, it takes time, artistry and dedication to have that title… but someday 😉

christinanina
    Participant

Thank you I Hate Fauxtography, haha. I take photography way too seriously (YANAP has a part in that) and tend to be hard on myself, but I manage to have a lot of fun shooting which keeps me going. The good: thanks to this site…on my own I stopped doing edits that made skin looked jaundiced, no matter how many friends said they love the “vintage” look. I’d hope I’m  not where I am now if I had been shooting for years and years though. I hate having my age be an excuse, but I hope I can wait on paying for a website/portfolio and certain necessities until I decide to branch out and can afford them on my own. After all, I’ve barely begun my photography adventure, and would like it to be my thing, not an expensive whim my parents pay for.

I looked at your page before, and love the colors in your images. The links were helpful. Even if I don’t pursue photography, I still plan to do something business related. Getting on the right track is the difficult part… I don’t have many photography peers who are as…obsessed (willing to wake up for sunrise pictures) with portrait photography as I am, so I look to those who are slightly older than me and pretty successful. Also, people on the internet of course, haha.

christinanina
    Participant

Chikimia, thank you as well. I don’t consider myself very confident, but I guess I am confident in myself in many ways and just need reassurance  now and then. I enjoyed looking at your images…

AI, I saw the “edit” part and wasn’t sure what to make of it. If you saw my images, do you think it’s worth investing in a website to start building my portfolio? Initially I worried that having a site other than Facebook would be me trying to seem more pro than I am, and that the people I take pictures of wouldn’t bother going to it unless I had their gallery up there. In my experience, most my age want me to post on Facebook so they can use them as profile pictures. Only some notice the quality/res difference between FB and other sites. Maybe if I can find an inexpensive site to host?

IHF
    Participant

Your age isn’t an excuse it’s an asset.  As long as you keep shooting, keep pushing, and don’t get trapped in a box too long without climbing out, your photography will continue to improve.  To be honest, your photography is already quite marketable.  I understand though when you talk about your consistancy.  Yes, I can take good portraits, and know what works and what doesn’t. And i doubt any one but me even notices, But I know it still doesn’t feel right behind the camera.  I’m still getting some surprise outcomes, and  I don’t quite have a clear direction yet.  Like you, I also click too much per “session”.  I’d like to get to a point where I have a clear outcome to shoot for and it only takes just a few snaps to know i got it.  We aren’t ready yet. People that jump in too quickly get trapped and what a mess, what a place not to be.  I love photography way too much to do that to myself.

Right now, I don’t think you need to invest in a site.  A cheap or free site will just look blah and like you don’t care, and you definitely don’t need an extra expense when you aren’t in business. But, a good paper portfolio may not be a bad idea.  Not only is finishing your work into a photograph a wonderful learning experience, but chosing images for it can also make you think harder about what you want to accomplish with your photography, and how it presents itself and changes.

Can I make a suggestion?  And please if anyone thinks I’m wrong, jump right in and yell at me….

Why not just, don’t have prices posted?  If you want to shoot something/someone in particular seek them out and create.  If someone comes to you inquiring, and it’s clearly for them… Well…. Why not charge what its worth?  Like I said before, cost of your time, and other expenses that went into making their photographs.

lansangel
    Participant

@TS You mentioned you have your own site… May we know the site? Since your in high school, you can still make the most out of the free sites… just be sure to update both your site and FB page since a lot of people would want to use those pics as a profile or cover pic and have the pics that you consider as your best or that gives you a lot of inspiration on your site…

IHF
    Participant

Why would she need to invest more of her time or money into a website at this point in the game?  How would it benefit her in any way?  (spoken without negative tone.  I’m seriously curious)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.