Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Your Ideal Kit in an apocalypse.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    soaringturkeys
    Participant

Just a fun little Scenario: A Zombie/alien/robot apocalypse is happening  and you are asked to evacuate your city. On the way to the exit you pass by a clearly abandoned camera store.  You want to capture this moment just in case humanity does pull through. You find a standard camera backpack and can fill it with whatever you want knowing full well that the more weight you carry the heavier and slower you will be.

What do you bring?

My ideal gear.
    2 5d MkIII
    35mm 1.4
    50mm 1.2
    14mm L
    100mm L (was thinking bout the 70-200 but might be too heavy)
    GoPro hero 3 with Head mount and underwater Case.
    Monopod that can be fashioned into a spear while still being useful for video.
    A tonne of SD & CF cards.
    What’s your ideal gear?

ArizonaGuy
    Participant

I’d walk right past the camera store and clean out the guns ammo and knives store next door.

soaringturkeys
    Participant

Well you won’t win the first pulitzer prize in the new world then! 😛

ArizonaGuy
    Participant

But at least Ill be there!

cameraclicker
    Participant

I’m with ArizonaGuy!  Stock up on guns, knives and perhaps bows and arrows.  Generally, in Canada weapons are not necessary, so I don’t have any.   I always have a couple of camera bags packed so I can grab one on my way out the door.  And, since I already have them, the batteries are charged and ready to go.  If you grab a couple of new bodies from the store shelf, you need to charge the batteries before you can shoot, and where are you going to get the electricity in an apocalypse?

By the way, if you are going to grab all those cards, you should grab some spare batteries too.

Mrs Woo
    Participant

Okay – is this to save photography for the next generation and capture how we rebuild our future (i.e., loot it to save a stash for me) or is this to build the best possible camera to at least capture as much as possible and still survive the zombie onslaught?

Because if it is the former, I would pick up all the items that are still missing from my ‘perfect kit,’ load them into two wheeled Urban Disguise bags and find a good place to hide them.  Then I would pick up as many cards and spare batteries as I could and grab a Panasonic super zoom (my water proof one doesn’t do a bad job at all, but doesn’t zoom much, obviously) if the real goal was just to capture the action as it unfolded.  It would give me all focal lengths I could possibly need (yes, with some tradeoffs) with very little extra to carry and not much weight.   Further, since you would have to travel light, you’d have to suck it up and put everything in JPG format so you’d make the best use of memory, both the memory cards and whatever lightweight laptop you might be using to offload cards to, etc.  Efficiency would have to take the place of elegance, and learning the equipment available as quickly as possible, plus a strong background in composition, etc., would have to make up for the rest.

On the guns – definitely.  Knives – for emergency situations, but not to fight zombies – if they’re that close, you’d better hope you can outrun the rest of your party.  LOL

Electricity?  That’s what the solar battery charger I stashed was all about.

Mrs Woo
    Participant

As far as my dream kit?  Though it might be nice to have a 1Dx, I’m actually realistic enough to know that is something that I would rather not fit into my budget.  I still need a 5DIII (it has similar layout to my 7D), 17-40 f/4 (I do mostly outdoor wildlife and landscape stuff), 45mm tilt-shift lens (just love what you can do with those), 300mm f/4, 2x TC (already have a 1.4x) and another flash or two.  Then, if a little more money shows up one day I want to get the 14mm f/2.8 II lens because it just looks so awesome. 🙂

I really should stay away from Amazon.com.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.