Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum True Professionals Don't Fear Amateurs — Seth Godin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SEC
    Participant
    soaringturkeys
    Participant

Great.
    and I 100% agree on this

ggjo1972
    Participant

While I agree on principle I think there is a bit of a difference here in that while of course a farmer shouldn’t fear a small gardener, I highly doubt a small gardener would start up a facebook page advertising himself a pro while trying to break into farming with only 6 months experience, no a clue how to run a combine, the importance of fertilizers or a clue about soil quality.

I think that is what is so offensive to pro photogs.  They actually took the time to learn the craft before setting up shop.  And while I hope that no one is annoyed at me for being a passionate amateur, I am not actively seeking clients while calling myself a pro.  I am well aware that I have a long way to go before that.  I don’t really recall anyone on here attacking amateurs wanting to learn when they label themselves an amateur.

The difference is that amateur gardeners and the like admit they are amateurs and don’t start buying up cornfields because so-and-so told them they were especially talented at growing tomatoes.   Even though they are not growing any award winning veggies.

However, I do see the point in that folks who genuinely appreciate the best quality photographs will seek out real pros in the end anyway.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.