Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography The Ultimate Secret to Professional Photography…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Open Focus
    Participant

I was perusing Craigslist after a friend told me about how she went on there and posted about the annoying Craigslist Fauxtogs in the area trying to claim Professionals are scam artists and that anyone can take a photo. I saw this little gem and had to share it.

View post on imgur.com

Apparently the secret to becoming an authentic photographer is to stand behind a real photographer and take the same picture of what the professional is being paid to do… after all these years spending money and time on classes and research when the answer was standing right behind me!

cameraclicker
    Participant

The secret to becoming an authentic photographer is to stand behind a real photographer and take the same picture… over and over and over again, until you understand.  Figuratively, that is what school is.  It is what many books are.   How successful you will be depends upon how you learn and how observant you are.  School might be faster because the teacher is more forthcoming with information packaged for consumption.   For most jobs, school is just the prerequisite, the real learning starts after you graduate.

Anyone can take a great photo.   Two great photos is a bit harder, twenty or two hundred harder still.  She is right about shooting a lot, however.  For “The Sense of Sight” at National Geographic, Joe McNally shot almost 1,200 rolls of film or almost 43,200 slides!   Eventually 40 shots ended up in the magazine.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VacqxeJ8AN8 is a fascinating way to spend 17 minutes.

It’s not about the education, or the equipment, or the editing.  It’s about the final image.  Being professional is about consistently creating good images.

lolkat
    Participant

That craig’s list ad looks like troll droppings to me….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.