Home Forums Photography Showcase Taking the plunge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    adent
    Participant

Let me preface this with this disclaimer: I am not a professional. No money changed hands with regards to these photos, unless you count the places I purchased the equipment.

These are pics taken at some get togethers with some friends of mine. Their kids always ask me if I brought my camera when we get there. If the answer is no, they are disappointed. My kids won’t let me get a decent shot no matter what I try. Theirs volunteer to be guinea pigs, so I go with it.

Just looking for opinions on how to improve.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97043678@N04/

JCFindley
    Participant

I don’t shoot people so cant critique but I like them….

adent
    Participant

I also added some street / event shots.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

There’s one shot there that screams AMATEUR  but the rest are great.

The mask shots are the weakest, as the masks, well, mask any interaction between the subject and the viewer. ( that made sense in my head! ) Apart from those the only problem is with the cropping of the two landscape portraits. Keep it up…….

But loose the shot of  your camera!!!!! Only you think it’s important what kit you have.

fotopoopie
    Participant

Pictures are a little flat ( colors/contrast )

Some eyes look kinda funky and over processed.   ( Don’t do that!)

Try not to cut limbs off at wrists or chop off an elbow.

Remember your rule of thirds

Stop down a little bit  and take a few steps back to get a little more sense of location and show the viewer whats going on on the scene. ( Not so much that it looks like a snap shot.)

~ Poopie

adent
    Participant

In a couple of the shots the girl is wearing colored contacts. I don’t care for them, she likes them. She didn’t want to take them out. I don’t really do much post. Mostly just contrast adjustments. Thanks for the input.

adent
    Participant

Oh I forgot, I also did some blemish removal. The older girl’s skin is a mess.

Thom
    Participant

Not bad, but I think you may fall for the “shooting gallery” mistake. Which is having the same pose for every person be the same. In other words, putting them in your crosshairs. May I suggest an experiment? Turn your camera upside down (hopefully your camera doesn’t auto-orientate) and start snapping photos upside down (just don’t see faces, but see shapes). Just a test.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.