Home Forums Photography Showcase someone on this site is using my work

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    nairbynairb
    Participant

IHP summed it up nicely.

She charges like a pro, and people CHOOSE her as their photographer. They’re aware of the quality (or lack of) she offers. As bad as it is, from a business side she has one up on most fauxtographers.

fstopper89
    Participant

$350 is appropriate pricing in many markets for PROFESSIONAL QUALITY work. Not what she produces. I don’t charge quite that much for seniors and my work I know is FAR better!

cameraclicker
    Participant

browneyedgirl89,  if she can charge that much and actually attract customers with the photos we have seen, perhaps we should all review our rates.  And raise them!

IHF
    Participant

My mother paid $500 for a group fauxtography session, and we all bought prints as well. Did she get any word of mouth, or repeat business from us?  Hell no!  Is she still in business?  Nope.  Her business took a more natural progression, because she was priced appropriately.  She also didnt go into debt giving it a go, and didnt have people taking advantage of her. (Yes, even togs that don’t know what they are doing get taken advantage of)  Now, lets say we only paid $50 or even less, for the whole kit and caboodle.  Some people, a lot of people, would have thought “Hey!  That was kinda fun for 50 bucks”.  Hey Hanna.  I know a lady that only charges $50 for group photos, and I bet she charges even less for just one person.  She’s not really good, but you might get one or two shots that you might like.  And even if you don’t want to buy them she still gives them to you on CD.  It’s only $50!  This fauxtographer could still be going to this day, not really making any money, or having her business grow in any sort of legitimate or real  way.  She’d also feel the need to invest more, and work more for that change in her pocket.  But the day always comes when a faux (and talented togs alike) finally thinks “Hey!  I’m not even making a profit.  This is really hard, and I’m not getting anywhere”.  Prices get raised, they change their business model a bit, and they finally know for sure that their “business” doesn’t work because the quality isn’t there.  Something they could have known right away if they had actually took the time to price for profit and more appropriately from the start. It’s more honest, both for the customers AND for the tog to price for profit.

Now there are still people like me who think no matter what price a person pays for professional services it should be of quality, so not everyone will join their $50 fauxtography ring, but for every 1 of me there are 10 others that think its just fine and dandy.

I’m telling you if fauxs and talented newbees all charged reasonable legitimate profitable rates, and took the care and time to set up shop legally, we would not have the problems we see today.

So kudos to this faux.  She is NOT part of the problem, she’s part of the solution.

IHF
    Participant

All these togs (and fauxs) are personal, custom, family portrait and event togs, not a damn chain.  They provide more than a chain, they have more overhead, and a lot more work, time, and investment is involved.  Quit pricing like you are a cheap chain!  You are not!  You can’t afford to be.  My goodness even the studio chains can’t compete with you, Because they actually KNOW they need to make money!  Wake up and price what you and your service is worth!  If you don’t feel your photography is worth what you need to make a profit, then for God’s sake stay an amateur  and save yourself a lot of pain and heartache and possibly debt and lawsuits, and just continue to enjoy and learn photography.  (Stepping off soap box now)

Rizzo
    Participant

Okay. Bitch all you want about how you’re a professional but unless you can provide proof that this image is a composite:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=550502801638770&set=a.481446001877784.113375.471369699552081&type=1

SHUT YOUR MOUTH. The problem with you fauxtogs is that you see a REAL professional’s work and say HEY I CAN DO THAT, then you hang a fucking baby in a godawful crocheted plant hanger thing with NO REGARD to infant safety.

Get out of here.

IHF
    Participant

Rizzo,

clearly the baby wasn’t hanging in that whatever thingy.  You can see it’s touching the black blanket and not off the floor in anyway.  Yes, it wasn’t taken well at all, but baby safety wasn’t/isn’t an issue with this one

Rizzo
    Participant

I kept looking at it and I thought maybe you were right, but it also could just be bad Photoshopping to make the background black.

I may have ranted prematurely but those type of photos send me into fits of rage. I’ve never understood the appeal.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.