Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Scott Kelby

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    snoopy
    Participant

What do you think about kelbytraining.com.  (now kelbyone.com)  I just subscribed and have learned a lot from just a couple of the tutorials that I have watched.  Just wondering if any one else had an opinion about this site, and the value of the content.

snoopy
    Participant

Here is the link, forgot to include it:  http://kelbyone.com/

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

IMHO, Scott Kelby is the Carleton Sheets of photography. Nothing wrong with that either, I’m all for making money.

cameraclicker
    Participant

I haven’t signed up for any of the classes.  I have watched many Grid episodes, I have a few of his books, and I have seen him speak in person.  By the way, his wife can sing!  Oh, and he claims to be the most published author of photo books.  From the commercials I gather he has everybody who is anybody in the photo world creating course content for him.   In that respect the classes are probably better than if you went to a local community college or university to study photography.  That said, there is so much free content available, I don’t know if the paid stuff would be worth the extra cost.

IHF
    Participant

I haven’t paid for a subscription either, but I enjoy the shows, and the fact that tons of reputable togs are on board… yeah, it could turn into something fantastic for sure.  I think it will have more substance than creative live (it probably already does, even though it’s just getting started).  Not that creative live hasn’t had some great content, but you have to be very mindful.  Lot’s of crappiness mixed in as well, and the whole infomercial feel of it completely turns me off.  Most times when watching I’m just eye rolling and on occasion I gag 😉

Seems like Kelby training is on the right path, and not just anyone is let in to create content like creative live seems to be all about

FauxFighters
    Participant

I must concur that Kelby has some good material for learning both in text and on The Grid.  I have never paid for training on his website, but I bought or was given a few of his books that helped make some of the transition from being an “Auto” photographer a lot less daunting.  I got this set when it was just two and then later added the third:

http://www.amazon.com/Kelbys-Digital-Photography-Updated-Edition/dp/0321966759/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391693284&sr=8-1&keywords=scott+kelby

I must say that he has some humorous stuff in there.  I most appreciated his financial advice for gear as it gives you a low, medium and high cost option and gives you some explanation as to the cost-benefit.  That is the kind of book I wish many “fauxtogs” would pick up to get some basics of the technical side of photography.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.