Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Rattling lens?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fstopper89
    Participant

I was at an antique shop today and saw an older Canon EOS film camera with lens for sale for $40. I happily noticed it was an EF-mount lens and began looking at it, thinking if I can get a decent, even older, lens for $40 it would be worth it to buy and play around with. It was an EF 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 macro zoom lens. As far as zooms go it is small in stature. But… when I picked it up I heard sometime rattling inside! I zoomed it in and out and it appeared the aperture was changing as I did so, and the focus ring turned just fine, but something is definitely floating around in there. I looked it up quick on my phone while there and saw mixed reviews; some said it’s a good solid little lens, better than some of the kit lenses they have nowadays, but some reviews said it was mediocre and no one should pay more than $25 for it. Apparently it was made in 1987.

Has anyone ever had a lens with rattling noises, and what might that be? I’m tempted to go there again, bring my camera, and test it out to see if it works. Obviously if it does not work there would be no reason to buy it. It almost sounds like there could be a screw floating around in there.

Here’s the lens: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/standard_zoom/ef_35~70_35~45.html

I guess my questions are: If I test it on my camera and it works fine, can rattling lenses be nothing more than a loose screw (and thus not affect its performance)? And, if I buy this camera and lens for $40, is it money well-spent?

jetpix
    Participant

Run the other way.

If you are hearing a rattling, it is probably a small L shaped retainer clip that mounts to the inside of the casing, and provides a pivot point for the zoom mechanism.  If the zoom is functioning, it probably won’t be much longer.  The clip, even after breaking away from the housing (which is held in place by two tiny screws secured by glue – it is the glue that gives way and allows the screws to loosen), can rest in place because of other parts for quite a while, but will eventually fall out of place.  It’s not a terribly difficult fix on older lenses, but anything with AF is a a pain in the a** because of all the internal wiring that has to lay in exactly the right place.

Eventually, the zoom mechanism will jam, and you will have a 24 mm or 35 mm or 50 mm or 63 mm (wherever it happens to jam), non-zoom lens.

jetpix
    Participant
    fstopper89
    Participant

Oh dang, well thank you. I thought it might be a “good deal” but probably not even worth the $40 then. They’re going for about $90 ish on eBay, so they must still be decent enough that people buy and use them (in working condition of course.)

cameraclicker
    Participant

Look through the front element of one of your lenses while the rear element is facing a light source.  You should be able to see much of the internal area.  With a used lens, one of the things you are looking for is mould.  In this case you are also looking for the source of the rattle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.