Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Portrait Lens

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    photocriticgirl
    Participant

I’ve recently been thinking of upgrading to a different portrait lens. I have multiple ones, but my current favorite is the 50mm.

Anyone have any advice on great portraits lenses?

Matt
    Participant

What kind of camera body do you have?  Also, how is your portrait studio lit?

photocriticgirl
    Participant

Sadly, I only have the Canon 60 D for now.

no one special
    Participant

I’ve read several interviews where portrait pros prefer telephoto prime lenses no less than 85mm for the limited lens distortion. It will act like a 135mm or so due to your asp-c sensor, so you’ll need to be a bit further back. I have the Canon 85mm f/1.8 and I like it. It’s a touch softer than my L lenses, but that’s not a bad thing for portraits.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Longer lenses compress.  In the film days 135mm was considered a portrait lens.  Today many like the 70-200mm L lenses.  With a crop body you have to be further back due to the angle of view the crop limits you to.  If space is not an issue, you can move your subject a little further from the background and move yourself a little further from your subject, and it will all work out about the same.  If you go with a prime lens, there are several to choose from.  Canon and Sigma both make good 85mm lenses and Canon makes a superb 100mm L macro lens that is f/2.8

iliketag
    Participant

If you can afford it I highly encourage renting a lens to get some hands on time with it. I rented a 135 f/2.0 L and absolutely fell in love with it. I think I’ll be renting the 100mm L next to give it a whirl and compare so I can finally decide on  which one to save for. I do understand that this can cut into the savings for a new lens but it will help immensely with the decision making!

dont.care
    Participant

You didn’t say what “50” you have.. You could have the hundred dollar version, the 400 dollar version or the 1500 dollar version?

I’ll assume for the sake of argument, that you probably have the 1.4, if so, upgrade your 50 to a 1.2. I’ll also assume you’re on a crop body, thereby making your 50mm an 80mm.. So, technically if you’re finding yourself having too tight of shots, I’d say buy a 35mm .. or a 24-70.  That 1.6x factor sucks.. Buy yourself a mk III and a 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2, and a 35mm f/1.4 and be done with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.