Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Opinions, Please!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mcian98
    Participant

I was recently offered an internship with a local photographer. I went on his website/blog to look at some of the pictures, and I felt like I could have done a better job with some of the pictures (go through a couple of pages within the link). I’m not sure if I should take the internship; I want to be working with someone who can produce great images and give a lot of valuable information

http://tinyurl.com/mnd5us9

emf
    Participant

His work doesn’t look very good. What’s the point of working for free for someone who doesn’t inspire you? I wouldn’t. Why not seek out someone you really like and feel you will learn from and approach them to do an internship or assisting for free etc.

emf
    Participant

Actually I just looked at his site, he has some quite good things but there are a lot of not so great ones too – it’s very inconsistent and I can’t figure him out.

Apparently he introduced graffiti to NYC, Lol!

cameraclicker
    Participant

If he was doing graffiti in the 1960’s, he must be retirement age.  That would suggest most of his career involved film.  The birthday party at the top of the link you provided was in a difficult room.  The ceiling seems to match the walls so bouncing a flash would not be effective.  Scrolling down, his fencing girl seems to have similar lighting in most photos, even though she seems to be in a studio.  Going through some of his other blogs I found a couple of bad links and a lot more photos that have too much flat light.

So, my question for Mcian98 is, do you want an internship to learn photography?  Or, do you want an internship to learn the photography business?

If you want to learn the business of photography — how to get a shoot, how to deliver your photos, scheduling, bookkeeping, and the rest of the more mundane part of the photography business, this guy can probably deliver.  If you want to learn to take beautiful portraits, you might want to find a different mentor.

mcian98
    Participant

I’m really looking for an internship to learn photography, so I’ll be on the hunt for someone else.

cameraclicker
    Participant

I looked at your profile and went back to look at your previous post.  Look at the light on the faces in your own photos, then look at the light on the faces in the link you provided above.  Your photos have better light, better shadow, more detail because the faces are not blown out.  As was pointed out before, the wedding photo is quite good.  Part of that is having good exposure and part is that you got great expressions.

A few thoughts:

You have a Canon T5i.  It has a pretty impressive computer in it and if you are trying to shoot in full manual mode all the time you are wasting the processor and working way too hard.   Figure out when you have to use manual mode and when the other modes and all that automation can help you out.  For instance, the photo of the family throwing leaves, ideally you want the people pretty sharp, the leaves pretty sharp and the far background soft.  You need to select an aperture that will give enough depth for leaves and people but not so much the background is sharp.  You also want a shutter speed that is fast enough to freeze the leaves and the family’s appendages.  This is a shot that would probably benefit from manual everything.  By comparison, the child with a basket and a toy is a simple shot.  Auto-focus on the child’s eye, set the mode to Av and select a small aperture to blur the background, set ISO to some low value if there is enough light, let the camera worry about shutter speed, while you worry about framing so her head and feet don’t get cut off.  Exact framing is a bit challenging with a Rebel since the viewfinder doesn’t show the whole frame, just 95%.  But, if it is inside the viewfinder, it will be in the frame.

You are in (or near) NY?  That city should have some of the best art galleries in the country.  Visit them.  Study the art, looking at composition, lighting, poses, and colour.  Go through magazines and look at the same things.  In photos you can see some of the lights reflected in the eyes, for a hint about how a photo was lit.

Youtube has lots of excellent videos that explain photography.  And some that unfortunately are not very good.  Watch some videos, try out what you can for yourself.  See what works.  Ask questions if there is something you can’t seem to figure out.  You will have more skill in no time.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

Can’t help thinking that some one who goes by the name Fine Art Fotos should be a LOT better.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.