Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Opinions on Monolight Kit

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    JustAndy
    Participant

I have a tendency to agree with the previous posts.  Alien Bee’s are pretty ok little units.  The B1600 are decent, maybe not for product work, but for the price point they represent a pretty good value.  They are by no means the best, but lets keep the money considerations in the forefront.  They are lightweight, reliable, and pretty consistent as far as the temp, especially for the price.  Some people don’t like the way they look – which to some is a little cheap, but they get the job done.  No they aren’t Profotos, but then again you aren’t paying the same price.  You can always get a little vagabond mini powerpack so you can use them in the field; also another advantage the can be plugged into a standard outlet without tripping the breakers.

nesgran
    Participant

For brits London Camera exchange is pretty good, calumet is very good but doesn’t compete on price usually. Warehouse express (wex) is pretty good and will compete on price, their second hand section is far better priced than LCE’s and their assessments are very realistic and a bit harsh if anything.

ebi
    Participant

Nesgran,

Yeah, the Calumet in Soho is pretty much like Calumet in the US. Except the prices are higher and Americans get killed on the exchange rate. Sometimes, when I travel, I have a tendency to forget very important things…like the batteries to my camera. Good to know about the other places though…

nesgran
    Participant

The US to pound exchange rate isn’t so bad any more for you guys though since our last government did everything they could to trash the economy. LCE sell more interesting things like 35mm and medium format stuff as well as carrying a decent selection of used leica gear usually. Now that jacobs and jessops mainly have folded things like batteries and filters get a bit more difficult to find in an easy way like before.

ebi
    Participant

the USD used to be worth about half as much as the pound. At least on that visit it was. Now it does seem a little better. Unfortunately the same thing is happening in this country as well.

emf
    Participant

Thanks Nesgran, I don’t know the LCE and will check it out. I like Aperture for second hand stuff.

CoastalTog
    Participant

With moonlights, this an area where investing in a good kit saves money in the long run. Aside from reliability you need to be aware that bargain lights produce shitty whites. Plus, there’s the additional modifiers and such that you’ll want to add. Buy a line of lights that supports additional modifiers.

Alien Bees get a lot of fanfare and can support a lot of additional modifiers. It’s a choice for many new photographers. I shoot Elinchrom pack and head system. I need consistency every time without worrying about misfires and a system that can withstand 8 hours of shooting everyday.

If you really need to stay on a shoestring budget, the Flashpoints will get you started but consider saving for a system that will last many years.

CoastalTog
    Participant

Wanted to add that aside from a pack and head system, I also have several Elinchrom BXri’s to take on location with a portable battery pack.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.