Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Need some critiques :)

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    dont.care
    Participant

I see what you’re saying.. I believe most states require hair stylist or cosmetologist to have some form of state licensing which says they’ve taken some form of test.. I’m speaking more in linear terms with a tattoo artist v “man who buys tat gun and works out of his garage”, which is equal to Aunt Rawanda who believes shes a pro stylist.. Which really, she may be damn good .. But to me, you’re nothing but a fraud until you have fullfilled the same requirements as your counterparts.. I believe experience will always trump ‘education’ in the form of hands on application.. However, experience means nothing if you’re not willing to legally and ethically apply it

Hope that makes sense?

Edit: which I suppose tattooist are supposed to be certified by the health department, but I don’t think there’s any real “license” required by anyone but the shop owner, I think?

fstopper89
    Participant

Yeah, anyone can cut someone’s hair just owning a scissors and nothing else and there isn’t anything illegal about it. Now if they advertise that they have an in-home salon yet are not licensed, someone could report them (maybe to the health department?) and maybe they’d get a fine. Even people who do nails. To paint nails you don’t need any certification, but if you file the nails you do. Crazy but true. A tattoo artist working out of his garage would be reported to the health department as well and could probably face a much larger fine because that act can allow transmission of blood-borne diseases.

Heck, I have cut some friends’ hair before (no charge of course) and did a decent job, but I used a sewing scissors and they sat in the kitchen. Lol. I didn’t go post on Facebook “Hey friends! If you want a $5 haircut in my kitchen, line right up! I did a good job on this girl, that guarantees I’ll do a good job on your hair too!”

Of course this is all getting away from photography. You don’t need a health department license to take someone’s pictures and you can’t get a fine for doing so. If they get reported for tax evasion they’d have to be investigated and potentially face fines or have to pay in to the IRS.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.