Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Meeeeh… I Don't wanna be a fauxtog!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    phob
    Participant

Hey guys! I’ve been shooting for a couple of years now and almost all my friends tell me that I actually do a great job but we don’t have lots of standards here… Could you guys have look to my work and tell me what you think about it?

#diefauxtogdie

http://dudosaurus.tumblr.com/

phob
    Participant

Maybe not “fauxtog” because I’m not selling my work but anyway, some feedback would be pretty cool! Thanks

IHF
    Participant

First I have to ask… Have you ever finished/printed any of your images?  Have you calibrated your monitor and adjusted your gamma?  The reason I ask is because your images are so very dark and under exposed, they don’t look to me like they would print very well at all.  I also notice some WB problems with your color images.  This can be fixed in camera, by calibrating, and learning good editing techniques.

Your black and white conversions seem muddy to me, and it’s definitely something you need to work on, unless the problem lies with your calibration and/or exposure.

Another thing I notice is that most, if not all of your images, what I believe to be your subject isn’t the photo’s focal point at all.  Placement of your subjects needs more attention.  More attention to light needs to be made as well.

Your focus almost always seems centered.  This rarely if ever works.  Google “rule of thirds” and/or proper composition and learn how to manually select your focus.

I’m not sure if this is the case or not, but your images look as though they were taken in an auto mode with pop up flash turned off.  Learn how to meter and read light, learn good composition, take more time placing or posing your subject, calibrate your monitor, and work on your black and white conversions.  Then PRINT and finish your work.  This alone will improve your photography.  By learning what goes into a print/photograph it will change they way you shoot, edit, compose, ect and you’ll see your photography improve.

MBChamberlain
    Participant

All good advice so far. And it is very good that you are not charging anyone, which increases my respect of you because it takes you from fauxtog (which is not OK) to student (which is great). One additional thing that is a real pet peeve of mine, don’t play music at me when I visit your web site. I’m sitting at my computer, I’ve already looked at half of your page, I’ve already got my music running, and now your music stars, so I have to stop looking at your pictures and figure out where to turn off your music. Then I have to keep stopping your music on every page because I’d rather keep listening to what I was listening.

You are in the phase I like to call the “I’m being artistic” phase. You’re stretching your legs and experimenting, which is very good. Your instincts are serving you well because when you pick your images, there are good things in them. 8-15 has goodish balance for a still life, 6-12 has emotional impact, 5-15 has niceish framing. The problem is that, while you subconsciously recognize good aspects of a photo, you don’t understand why you like said photo.

So now for the not-so-fun part of being a photographer. You have to put the camera down and pick up the books, figuratively speaking. Read everything. First, learn everything you can about your camera, the technical nitty gritty of shooting, even do a little dark room work if possible. Learn about color theory (which is extremely important in black and white photography), learn about contrast, learn about exposure, learn about depth of field and how to manipulate it, composition, image balance, black and white conversion. Then learn about people, emotion, body language, non-verbal cues. Study great photos and read commentaries on what makes them great. Watch great character movies, look at how the greats frame shots, watch Stanley Kubrick, Lazlo Kovacs, Orson Welles, even Baz Luhrmann. If you wanna shoot people, get books of portraits and attempt to recreate them on your own (for practice, don’t copy when you’re working).

Experimenting is great, but if you do you will only progress as far as one lifetime can last. There is 185 years worth of photographic knowledge out there. Don’t re-invent the wheel, learn from those who have come before you and then step out and innovate beyond that.

Cheers

phob
    Participant

Thanks guys for the quick answers, I’ll take the time and answer you back properly on saturday because now I don’t have much time. But thanks again. Sorry for my English by the way : I’m not a native speaker.

lovethissite
    Participant

Your English is not that bad

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.