Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Looking for advice!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    KatieOkieDokie
    Participant

Ok let me start out by saying that I KNOW I am not a photographer, but simply someone who loves taking pictures as a hobby! I do not take pictures to make a living, actually I do not take pictures of people at all because I feel that takes a lot of skill, and natural talent that I just don’t have! I’m looking for advice, because I know my work is far from good. I’m learning, slowly, but I am. I am finding really fun to learn new things about my camera, settings etc. I can tell you what frustrates me the most is black and white photography, which I love, but really suck at! So any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am posting a link to a tumblr I made today of some of my photos for you to look at. Oh and I over saturate way too much.

http://katieokiedokiee.tumblr.com/

DavidVRJ
    Participant

Proper exposure, nice composition, not a lot of editing if any.. Just get a little creative with your exposure by getting it off auto and you’ll be well on your way. Putting your camera on “M” will get you thinking more about whether you want things to look a little brighter or darker to balance out the light and dark parts of your photos. It will also make the flash ettl actually work effectively. which reminds me, don’t use the pop up flash http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m90hhbkFJ31repqoao1_1280.jpg

This one is really cool http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m90iokcEYV1repqoao1_1280.jpg

overall, not bad! no oversaturation as far as I can tell

no one special
    Participant

You need a stronger base of the technical side of photography and how light acts.
    First: Read your camera manual!
    For further explanations of things covered there go to http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/ there is more information here than you need, but make sure you bookmark it for later.
    Stay the hell away from Manual mode (M). It will make your pictures look different from each other, but it won’t help you learn. Yet.

KatieOkieDokie
    Participant

Thanks..both of you thanks!!

I agree!! I am clueless when it comes to lighting! But that’s why I’m here.. and I’ll be checking and reading the link you left for me!! Thanks!

sailgal625
    Participant

Why on earth would you recommend someone NOT learn to shoot in manual? That is the best way to learn. She has an eye for composition- learning full manual is the best thing she can do for her work. And frankly, given the work you posted earlier… I’m thinking you’ve no room to talk.

Brownie
    Participant

Have to agree, learn manual settings first. The more failed pictures you have help you learn what NOT to do.

jetpix
    Participant

I’m with sailgal and Brownie – learn manual FIRST!

dicksforeyes
    Participant

That’s all crap. Bad use of the camera, but also incredibly boring subject matter. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with this when you’re learning. However, I’m telling you this so you know not to expect anyone to care about your photos yet.

no one special
    Participant

I stand by my advise to avoid the “M” for now. Here is why.
    Manual mode is good for learning. But, there is more to it than just “Put it on M”, but no one explains that. At least no one here has. In part, you need to study various aspects of photography then use manual mode to explore each of those aspects in a variety of situations.

But you won’t do that. You will read some, maybe a lot. Maybe even the manual for your Powershot SX30 IS. Then the next time you are out with your camera you will make sure you get the picture you want by using the method you are comfortable with. After that you will try out those things you remember from your reading. You won’t keep notes (or even what to keep notes of) when you are trying out different things, so you won’t remember what you did once you get home and look at them on the computer. And that 2.7″ screen on the back of the camera is too small to notice many of the differences. If you do remember, because you did keep notes or only took a few shots and only changed one or two things just a little, you will use those same settings the next time you go out, and not understand why the results are so different.

Loke
    Participant

Take it off Auto, start by playing Aperture Only or whatever…and then go to Manual once you are comfortable. Photography is still about light and composition. Also remember, opinions are like a-holes everyone has them. If photography makes you happy and you continually learn and get inspired by other photogs and artists and try new things while learning the “rules” then who cares!? #2..don’t come here for real constructive criticism…other than a few gracious photogs, most are gonna be here to criticize..after all, even though this site is funny…..it is about making fun of other people…….go to http://digital-photography-school.com/..free advice, good people over there…..I’ve been shooting for five years now (though I have over 12 years graphic design and 20+ years painting, drawing, etc….. ) and I still go there to read on new tips and advice. I’m a member of NPPA had my portfolio evaluated by an editor at the LA Times..gave great tips and made me feel pretty happy with my work (I am completely self taught)  and STILL….. I do stuff that makes ME and my clients happy.

KatieOkieDokie
    Participant

Wow no one special did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Thanks for assuming that you know what I was going to do, being we do not know each other from Adam, and you have NO clue who I am, or what I am about. I will still take your first posts advice into consideration.

Thank you arose4u! I do know that opinions are like butt holes everyone has one! I really do enjoy being behind the camera! And I know this site probably isn’t the best site for actual advice, that many are here to poke fun of others, and put each other down. I will be checking out the website you suggested! 🙂

Loke
    Participant

No problem! I think you’ll like it over there too! I come here for entertainment lol.

Al
    Participant

First things first, agree with sailgal, jetpix and brownie in that working with M will help. Maybe not right now (as I’ll explain below) but it will. Not sure how ready you are, but by no means would I tell you not to use M.  Can’t hurt.

Why I agree that M might not be for you at the moment is inline somewhat with what dicksforeyes says.  Basically, I find your images snap-shottish/boring.  Not bad, just not interesting to me.  They speak to me as someone clearly learning, and that’s ok. But none of your images stood out as something other than an image that could have been taken by any other newb.  I did the same when starting.  What you need to ask yourself is how you go about ensuring that your images are different from the billion other people who could have been standing there taking the same exact shot.

You’ve GOT to get more creative with your composition. The vast majority of your images are pretty much bang dead in the center which to me is really really boring.

Also, all of your animal images feels soft. Maybe it’s the upload, but I have a feeling it’s a result of your doing a great deal of cropping of the image since you can’t get close enough in-camera, right?

Short answer is that you’re still in snap-shot phase. Does that make you a fauxtog? No, it makes you an amateur that’s trying to learn and that’s ok. We’ve all been there.  Some guys, like “no one special”, are still there even if they don’t know it.   Keep shooting, but keep being harsh on yourself and ensure you’re trying to do something different than every other joe schmoe with a camera.

May I also recommend Digital Photography School.. great place to get critique.. but I’m biased, I’m a moderator there. (http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/members/bigfuzzy.html) 😉

Good luck!

NOTE TO “no one special” – “Proper exposure, nice composition, not a lot of editing if any”  thank you for your opinion, but your attitude/opinion might be better received if the vast majority of your portfolio wasn’t boringly composed dead center.. heck your Kimberly dawn portfolio has 4 of 35 images NOT composed bang dead in the center, ie boring.  All but ONE of your “Color” album are dead center!!  Every single image of your “B&W”, “Animals”,  portfolios are dead center.. Practically the same with your Sextones album. I stopped looking at this point.  I’m shocked honestly that you’d give advice on composition. I won’t comment on the editing and exposure issues on Kimberly, poor girl.

So, may I kindly suggest you reevaluate your own above quoted advice as you do exactly what you tell the OP is wrong with her work! Especially when doing it with such a holier than thou attitude, yeah?

KatieOkieDokie
    Participant

Al I do not know if you heard me or not..but I was actually replying to you out loud! lol. I agree with everything you said!! Thank you!

Superballs
    Participant

Katie, I will second what Al said about Digital-Photography-School.

It’s a much more conducive atmosphere for learning thatn this place is.  It’s photographers of every level learning from each other.  You can submit images for critique and you will receive constructive criticism.

I’m less bias than Al because I’m only a member there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.