Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Let's see if this ends in tears……..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Malula
    Participant

http://malulaphotography.tumblr.com/

Tell me what you think! These pics are of friends, not paid shoots :o)

IHF
    Participant

What’s with the logo/watermark, the price list, marketing your services, booking sessions and what not, if you are not in business?  I don’t like that this all started out with complete dishonesty…sigh…

I don’t think I have much time for you, but to answer your question as quickly as possible and without investing anymore of my time than what I already have… Yes, you are a fauxtog

MBChamberlain
    Participant

Well, it looks like my post didn’t take, so I’ll type it all again.

As long as you aren’t charging people you’re fine by me. Your work has some glaring technical errors that would be unforgivable for a pro, but since you’re a student, it just means that you haven’t progressed that far yet.

The biggest thing I’d recommend working on is lighting. Learn everything you can about studio lighting and setups, even if you don’t have any studio equipment because the concepts all translate to available light photography. It’s a little harder because you can’t move them and you’ve got to think a little more, but you can use any single light setup outside with just a reflector and the big light source in the sky.

Your composition and consistency will come in time, so keep up the work on that.

One thing I will say is that if someone comes to ask you to shoot their wedding, remind them that you are not a professional yet, and encourage them that they should really hire a real professional photographer for such an important day. Then ask the photographer they hire to let you assist for the day (for free). You’ll spend a lot of the day  lugging equipment around and making adjustments to the lights for the photographer, but you’ll also learn a ton. And this way the client will be guaranteed good photos.

IHF
    Participant

MBC  Looks like she’s been in business for just over a year (according to Facebook) 🙁 very disappointing, and the fact that she lied/mislead us, just proves that she knows what she is doing is wrong and still continues on.  I don’t get it.  I dont think I ever will

MBChamberlain
    Participant

Ok, never mind… I took you at your word, my mistake. IHF and I cross posted, and after reading her post, I searched for you and found you on Facebook. You’ve been charging for over a year.

Since you ARE styling yourself a pro. I have a completely different evaluation for you.
    UN……………..let it arrive……………….acceptable

I run a photography competition every year, last year we had a contestant enter who was 14 years old and taking her very first class in photography. I am not exaggerating when I say I’d recommend her over you any day of the week, based on skill alone. The fact that you out and out lied to me when asking for an evaluation tells me you KNOW your work sucks and you didn’t want us to call you on it. It also makes me suspect that you wouldn’t hesitate to be completely dishonest in your business dealings as well.

In my opinion, lying to people and telling them you’re a pro, then lying to them telling them they are going to get good pictures, then taking their money, then lying to them telling them their pictures turned out great so they will provide you with another unwitting victim is nothing short of fraud.

You are a fauxtog, the worst kind, the kind that knows it and charges anyway. You want my evaluation and advice? Quit, quit today, and never pick up a camera again. You disgrace us all.

MBChamberlain
    Participant

IFH, you and I seem destined to cross post 🙂

IHF
    Participant

And PLEASE if you continue, keep your newborns safe, and take the time to learn how to do popular poses safely and correctly.  I only post this because I can see your editing isn’t very advanced at all and you have been shooting newborns, and this concerns me

http://learnshootinspire.com/2011/11/09/newborn-safety-week-composites/

Malula
    Participant

THOSE particular photos are of friends, I didnt say I wasnt in business………..

Malula
    Participant

@ I hate fauxtography,  the baby was never in danger, that was my first attempt at a composite and mum was holding her correctly :o)

@IHF , umm, you have all the time in the world because you comment multiple times and felt the need to look the girl up on FB.  I’m really tired of your vindictive comments on all these young photographers submissions.  I saw your work, you have no portraits and your photos are over edited.

@MBC she said the photos she submitted weren’t charged for but were of friends.

@Malula, keep practicing.  You will get better with time as long as you keep trying to learn.  I wouldn’t be charging at your skill level yet, but if people see your work and are willing to pay for it, go right ahead.

Malula
    Participant

@Click It And Stick It Thank you for being nice haha 🙂

IHF
    Participant

Malula,

I didn’t look deeply through your photos on face book, just quickly scrolled through your wall after looking you up.  Saw that you shot newborns, and a red flag went up. I’m so relieved you are using composites.  So many beginners don’t realize what they are needed.  Sorry I didn’t take the time to look more closely.

click it, come on!  The total time it took me to look at the photos she provided, question the logo, type 2words into google, and re post to MBC was a minimal fraction of a fraction of my day.  It took more time to find a link explaining composites.  I apologize for being worried about safety, but not worried enough to examine all the newborn photos on her Facebook page first before jumping the gun.

thank you for your critique.  I will take your over editing comment as a compliment as I meticulously place reflective and colorful objects in stratigic locations, custom WB in camera, and spend huge amounts of time setting up my shots so no editing is nessesary. Only a handful of my images have been altered in any way, other than brushed in definition where needed.  I do not post my marketable portraiture experiments publicly unless I need help or critique and redbubble is no place for either.  I also am completely aware that my portfolio of art is both aperture-ish and simplistic, and in no way as challenging and complicated as marketable portraiture is.  It only serves as my muse, and a sorce of creative encouragement to keep me going and creatively fullfilled.  I wear my amature hat proudly and only wish i had more company.  I have only posted a link to my work when people ask, and each and every time I feel silly and embarassed because it does not pertain to what’s being discussed at all.

you and I may not see eye to eye on this.  My standards are obviously higher than yours, most likely because of my photography instructor and my background, this is ok.  People come here for opinions, I provide mine as honestly and as accurately as I possibly can.  Everyone here is free to do the same, wether opinions are different or not.  It’s discussion, it’s what forums are for

Malula
    Participant

@IHF any chance I can see your work just out of curiousity?

IHF
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.