Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Let 'er rip!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jr
    Participant

Hey all stumbled upon this site and thought, what the heck. Been taking pictures for little over a year now and I get the family comments of great shot and all, but really want some outside opinions. Thick skinned so be brutal if you must, it’s all about learning right?

https://www.facebook.com/Jrphotography.me

IHF
    Participant

I don’t have time to look at your images tonight but will make time tomorrow.  Until then, what do you need out of this?  It’s obvious you aren’t a fauxtog, because you don’t take on clients.  Is it your goal to eventually become a portrait and/or event photog, and you need your portraits critiqued?  Is there another genre you have a preference for shooting?  Just need to know what you want/expect out of this critique, and what you extend to do with your photography before I dig in and start to chew 🙂

IHF
    Participant

Hummmmmmmm…. I can see you’re really serious about this.  But for real, if you could let us in on what you expect and need, and what you intend to do with your photography, you’d probably get some input

Jr
    Participant

Apologies….I am currently preparing to move to California from Texas so have been a little busy….hopefully be on the road this week 🙂 Not sure about getting into portraits or events though I have done a few here and there for friends and surprisingly was “hired” after some folks in San Antonio found some photos I shot at an event, had fun, but not sure I got what it takes. Mostly I like shooting nature and ….well I suppose stuff I like/want to shoot. Maybe just critique of what I have shot so far. Of course I don’t expect you or anyone to go over each and every photo, but maybe a “Okay checked out some pics and here is where you need to work on”. Thanks, just looking for some outside criticism other than family and friends.

IHF
    Participant

I am making a move out to cali myself, all the way from the east coast.  Unlike you though,  I’m stuck in limbo land and have way too much time on my hands currently.  Hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait lol  good luck with your move out west 🙂

I think your nature, and/or things photography is much stronger than your people.  In general, Looks like you understand good comp, your exposure seems good throughout, and your shots show some skill and/or thought behind them.

Your portrature needs a lot of work, but your event photography isn’t bad at all.  Looks almost as though you work better on the fly and/or under more pressure to make quick decisions, But your cropping could use some work.  Go through some of your event photos and notice all the cut limbs and all the headroom.  Too much headroom most times.

I think if you want to move forward and start taking your photography more seriously a good portfolio cleanout and or separate website is in order.  Too many photos.  At the very least make a “portfolio” album to separate your fun shots from your work.  You need to start choosing just one of a scene/pose/set up to represent your work.  Let’s say you shoot an event.  Sure,  show your friends (or clients if you chose to take that route) all their pictures, but only the best photos that represent that event should go in your portfolio.  Same with nature/ locations/objects/portraits only the best should make the cut and only one should represent a subject or pose.  Try sitting on them for a few days instead of making an impulsive decision to share.

Have you finished any of your photographs?  If not that is for sure your next to do.  Get some of your favorite shots printed and/or finished.  You will learn so much from it.  Another good idea, to help you see the direction you are moving with your photography is to start a paper/print portfolio. One with sleeves so you can change over time, and see how you are evolving and wich direction you are gravitating to.

I don’t think you are ready to be for hire, but you are ready to take the next step and start getting more serious

Jr
    Participant

Sorry to hear about limbo land. I just got out of my limbo today so hopefully on Friday I will be on the road 😀 What part of Cali will you be moving too? I will be in Northern California….can’t wait! The scenery there is just breath taking. Hurry up and wait….sounds like military hahahaha.

I thank you for your critique and it was exactly what I was wanting….DIRECTION!

I intend to clean out the albums once I get to my destination and possibly start a Zenfolio account to separate the fun from work. You hit it on the head as far as impulsiveness to share. At the beginning I was uploading EVERYTHING, believe  me the albums are a lot smaller than what they used to be. I try to be more critical with the ones I upload now than I was before. I have noticed that when I am taking “people” shots that I almost always cut off the legs :/ it’s something I am working on fixing. I was aware of it before, but with your reinforcement of that issue, I will probably remember it better next time.

I have printed a few for friends and family, but not for myself. My wife wants to have some of them printed so we can hang in our house in Cali. When you say start a print portfolio are you saying like 5×7 or 8×10? If so that sounds like a great idea and one that I will implement in the very near future.

Again, thanks for your time.

IHF
    Participant

I would do at least an 8×10 no smaller than that, because the main point to it is to see your photographs large and in charge in front of you, instead of in/on a computer screen, and 8×10 is considered a pretty small print size. But you also have to take into consideration  the crop ratio you shoot in or crop to post.

I shoot with a cropped body and rarely if ever crop PP so I’m keeping that ratio even though it isn’t standard.  I just prefer how they look, and I think it’s nice that everything I saw in the frame is what everyone else sees.

Military, how’d you guess?!  lol we will be in So cal….. Good luck to you up there, it IS breathtaking.  I may have to follow your blog so I can see all the beauty I’m missing out on.

Jr
    Participant

Thanks for the tips!

Hurry up and wait is a very well known saying in the military….believe me I know 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.