Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Just checking…I can't learn if I'm not willing to ask…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CelticPhotog
    Participant

So, I’ve been charging for about a year…I purposely keep my prices low…and I know that to many that automatically makes me a fauxtog. But I am open about the fact that I’m just starting out, and try to only really charge to cover my time/expenses, I’m most definitely not making an “income” on this…

I don’t think I’m a fauxtog, though I know I’m not the “best” either. I’m learning, and I’ve found that my gear holds me back since I’ve not been able to upgrade my lenses…yet…and only recently upgraded to a used 5d classic.

But, I figure I can’t really learn, or get better without critique, all I ask is be constructive. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/BethanyMcGPhotography

JCFindley
    Participant

I don’t know a thing about portrait work. The 5D classic though is an extension of my subconscious.

Not sure what glass you are using now, but you can get a Canon 50mmf1.8 for around 100 bucks. It is cheap. It is plastic and does not look pretty. It is not weather proof. And it shoots absolutely tack sharp images on a 5D so I would highly recommend it for anyone on a budget. (it is NOT tack sharp wide open but gets pretty close at f2.8 and is period by f4 or f5.6….

CelticPhotog
    Participant

That’s actually my go to lens…I  love how sharp it gets…you’re right though, and I’ve gone through 3 in the last few years. I use it for almost everything..weddings, babies, families…because it seems like even if I use my husbands “better” zoom (Tamron 18-70? 2.8) It’s just too fuzzy for me.  And I LOVE my 5d…much better than my  Rebel Xt.

viakairee
    Participant

Hey, I did the exact thing with my camera upgrade! I just recently went from a Canon Rebel XS to a used 5D classic (due to budget), haha. I think your photos are really good! I would work on post-processing a bit to maybe adjust the white balance some. Also, I usually try to stay away from tilted angles- only because if the photos are ever framed, it looks “off.” But that is still a personal preference.  I’m still learning a lot myself, so I don’t have too much to offer for a critique right now, but I like your work.

creyes8519
    Participant

Well, your work is not bad..  you over-use the tilted angles and your work is definitely not consistent, but I think your clients were probably pleased with their photos.  Some of your shots need better lighting.  Overall, I give your stuff a 6/10.

CelticPhotog
    Participant

Thanks! I’ve been working on the angles, I like them but I also know that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and I’m working on learning to work the light a bit more consistently. I appreciate the critique!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.