Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography In a rut.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    iliketag
    Participant

I’m fairly certain it’s just me, but lately, I’ve been feeling pretty run down. Burned out, even.
    I work 40 hours a week and just can’t seem to find the inspiration and motivation to really drive me to get out and shoot.

Many of my friends got married in the last couple years and are starting families, others work as often as I do but have different days off. I can’t really call on them to be practice subjects anymore.
    I’ve found myself discouraged, as well as extremely self conscious.

What do you recommend to bust this rut?
    Where do you turn for inspiration?

fstopper89
    Participant

Personal projects… hike in the woods and bring your camera. It’s therapeutic.

JanJan
    Participant

I agree with BEG, why don’t you try a personal project?

For instance, I’m doing a 365 photo-a-day challenge, where I take one picture a day for 365 days.
    http://anjanette365project.tumblr.com/

I’m not going to lie, it’s a pretty challenging project, especially towards the end, but it’s very rewarding. Since I started the project, I’ve been taking my camera with me at all times. I carry a large purse so I can fit my camera inside.

If you find a 365 photo-a-day project too much, you can also try a 52-week project. When I’m done with my 365 project this September, I’m going to only take at least one photo a week. If I take more than one picture, I will call it “This week in pictures”.

If you’re looking for subjects to shoot, why don’t you try trade for print (TFP) shoots with aspiring models? You can find them on Model Mayhem (http://www.modelmayhem.com). I credit Model Mayhem for helping me build my portfolio. It’s a free service and is kind of like a MySpace, but for models, photographers, makeup artists, etc.

Or you can also try joining a photography group in your area. Meetup.com can help you with that!

iliketag
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions!

So, when you do a 365 or a 52 week (or even a 30 day) project, do you do theme work or is it just photos? Do you find yourself looking for a great shot or taking multiple shots and choosing your favorite?
    I’ve never taken on anything like that before so I’m just curious how it works.

ModelMayhem seems like it would be awesome to get in on, but I get super nervous around new people. I’m working on it but I’m not at a point where I feel like I could totally direct someone with confidence (other than people I know). I really need to throw myself into the social aspect of it and just learn how to communicate and connect with clients – and that will really only come with experience. Alarnold, in your experience have you found that the models on there are in the same boat or will they be put off by that?

Also, do you ever turn anywhere specific for inspiration?
    I feel like trying to “recreate” an image might help me learn how to achieve technical aspects of images I really like, and I would never put those in a portfolio, but do you feel like that is too slippery a slope?

dont.care
    Participant

I say — stop loathing yourself and do something interesting.

Save up some pennies and get away from what you see daily. Take off on friday and come back sunday night. I.e., actually leave town.

I go out on the weekends ever so often and walk up to complete strangers and offer 4-5 free photos. I give them a business card with a link to their photos on the back. 9x out of 10 they call me back and ask to do a full set. I’m constantly networking face to face marketing my business to tourist and locals alike. It creates interest because I meet a metric shit tonne of new people from all over. Not saying you should just walk up to any and everyone; be selective (carefully)..

The main thing is–You have to get away from the usual and break that annoying vicious cycle of everyday tunnel vision.

Photography as a hobby v. a job — it’s much more dreadful as a job, if you think you’re in a rut, do it for a living for a little while.

JanJan
    Participant

It’s entirely up to you on how you want to do your 365 photo-a-day/52 photo-a-week/30 day project. It’s better to set your own rules because it will make it easier for you to stay committed. At first, I was going to do a theme, but I decided not to because I know I wouldn’t commit to that for one whole year. As for my shots, it depends on the day. Sometimes I would find myself looking for a great shot, and sometimes I would take multiple shots and pick the best one. There is not too much thought to this project. Your rules might be different from someone else. For instance, the rule I made for myself is that at least 70% of my shots have to come from my DSLR and edited (if necessary) before I post it on my Tumblr. Perhaps another person doing this project might commit to doing this project on their camera phone only.

As for Model Mayhem, it’s hard to say because it varies by location. On the model’s profile, it says their experience level. I tend to pick the ones with no experience to some experience because they also need to build their portfolio. Most of the models are aware of my experience level, and they make their decision to work with me based on my portfolio. Sometimes, models (usually from out-of-town) would contact me as well. Here is my profile by the way – http://www.modelmayhem.com/2791923

You will just need to put yourself out there if you want your photography to grow. I’m a shy person myself, especially around big crowds, but I’m constantly seeking people to shoot with, even if there is a lull in my paid work. And I’ve met so many people and thanks to them, my portfolio is really diverse!

I think you’re thinking way too much into this. Just shoot for fun! Bring you camera with you at all times. Shoot anything! For the past year, I’ve been shooting anything, from models and families, to my dogs, and just everyday household products.

iliketag
    Participant

You’re absolutely right in that I am over-thinking it. I do that a lot and it honestly may be a contributing factor to the stress.
    I’m really grateful for the break down 🙂 Thanks a heap!

nesgran
    Participant

Get yourself an old manual lens and go out and play with it. Bring it to photograph your friends when you are meeting up. Once you come back you realise that technical perfection isn’t the most important thing nor is perfect framing or exposure either but rather what you capture.

iliketag
    Participant

Canon mounts from the mid 80’s should still mount to an EF mount right? If so, that sounds really intriguing!

nesgran
    Participant

Sadly no, the old canon mount is FD which has a shorter flange distance than the EF system which means you can’t use an adapter without correcting optics. The EF system came in the late 80’s I think and a good quality adapter is going to cost more than other manual options, even if you have lenses from that era. If you want an adapter ed mika is the way to go but is only really worth it if you sit on some L primes from that era.

I would suggest you get a fotodiox M42 to EF adapter off amazon. Focus confirmation chip is optional but I find the ones without mess less with metering, use spot metering. Then go on ebay and get yourself a nice M42 mount lens, anything made by Carl Zeiss Jena (DDR version of CZ) is going to be pretty good, most helios models are good of which the Helios 44 versions are the most common. The helios 44 is a 58mm f2 lens built on a zeiss biotar formula so it has a few special characteristics. It is decently sharp wide open, let’s call it flatteringly sharp if your friends are a bit spotty :). The bokeh is also very special, as a result of the construction it gets a slightly odd swirly bokeh but this is most apparent on a full frame body. Below is a link to a photo I took a couple of weeks with just that lens and a 400D (this combo is small enough to fit in my coat pocket). I’m guessing it is around f2.8 certainly less than f4 as I tend to stay at 2.8. So if you want my recommendation get yourself a Helios 44. The 44-2 has a bit of a funky pre-set aperture and no aperture stops whereas the 44M and 44-4 have normal aperture rings which takes less getting used to if you’ve used manual aperture before.

View post on imgur.com

dont.care
    Participant

http://compare.ebay.com/like/150661970603?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

honestly not sure how well this would work — I would assume you’d require one that has some sort of corrective glass..

ef to fd

cameraclicker
    Participant

That adapter looks like a short extension tube.  If you have an FD lens you really like, it’s probably worth the $16 or so to try the adapter.    Focus at infinity might be challenging.

nesgran
    Participant

indeed, it will work as a 12mm extension tube from the looks of it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.