Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum I got called a "bully" again, and was reminded of this show

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Plonker
    Participant

IHF, do you have a link to that conversation?  I actually have problems like this fairly often, so I’m looking for examples to calibrate myself.

IHF
    Participant

Unfortunately the OP eventually deleted her post so one else could read it and learn from it.
    But basically it boils down to getting your user manual out, opening up to the section that covers focus, and learning what all the AF settings mean, and what they can do for you in any giving situation.  Practice with them, and learn how to nail it.
    (The consensus was, after viewing the image, that it looked as though she were letting the camera auto select. The focus fell almost dead center.  Which in turn made it fall just in front of the subjects face). In this case letting the camera select didn’t work very well.

http://www.exposureguide.com/focusing-modes.htm

Learn how to select your focus
    http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/02/07/af-points-how-to-take-control-of-autofocus-to-get-the-shots-you-want/

Couple more links you might find helpful

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2014/07/30/how-to-focus-a-portrait-get-pin-sharp-eyes-in-3-easy-steps/

http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/using-focus-lock-on-your-digital-camera

Develop a good understanding of depth of focus, or depth of field by experimenting with focal distance and aperture.

Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

Then move on to learn more advanced focusing techniques like

Back Button Focusing – Easier than you think!

I explained to her that she didn’t need clients to learn any of the basics of photography, including focus.  I learned how to focus with my camera by working with my manual, stuffed toys, my vacuum, and then eventually my kids and some friends.  My photos were not about the content at all, and all about learning focus, and learning my camera.
    I think THATS where it became “mean” and “bullying”, suggesting she wait to start up until she had how to focus her camera down (eye roll).

“I know how to focus!  To suggest otherwise” blah blah blah

Hope that helped you some 🙂

IHF
    Participant

Lmao!  OMG I totally misunderstood you

bwahahaha

classic!

Plonker
    Participant

@IHF: Actually, I was serious when I asked about links to the original conversation; that part wasn’t a joke.  But I wasn’t looking for tips on using AF – I wanted to study how the exchange of comments went.  My wife has gently shared with me that I can come across as a little… abrupt.  So I’m trying to be more mindful of avoiding that.

(Apparently others don’t share my preference for efficient conversation.  Go figure.  This is also why I shouldn’t go on site to deal with customers.)

IHF
    Participant

Yeah, I re read and turned red.  Finally sunk in that you meant you needed help with giving critisism.  Eh, oh well. I got a good laugh at my expense.

I can’t help you there, seems I’m always getting in trouble with sensitive types

JLiu
    Participant

It can be difficult to determine if someone is truly asking for real CC vs. someone who is just vomiting their work for appraisal on a Facebook wall. I’ve found, more often than not, that the ones who are truly looking to improve tend to identify the weaknesses first…or, at the very least, know that something is off and are asking about that.

If someone posts a completely OOF shot and asks for a critique, I feel it’s rarely, if ever, worth bothering to offer anything – this person is obviously the “tone deaf” equivalent of photography. Unless this person is asking why the focus seems off, there’s not really much you can do to help.

If someone posts an over-edited shot that’s at least in focus, this is someone you can probably work with…but that all depends on whether or not the person wants to be worked with in the first place. Some people don’t strive to be anything more than mediocre.

Regardless, it’d be wise to know what type of person you are with regards to how you critique. If you’re “abrupt,” be prepared to precede your critique with that comment so that the recipient at least knows the stabbing will be brief. Perhaps this might help the person to ask questions about why you feel that way and open up communication as opposed to feeling like you’re some cynical clown with not much to say.

Plonker
    Participant

Thanks @JLiu, that sounds like good advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.