Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? I am a hobbyist fauxtog

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CraigMyran
    Participant
    IHF
    Participant

Good news!  There’s no such thing as a hobbyist Fauxtog 🙂  In no way are you pretending to be something you are not, or faking your way through the business of photography.

I don’t have time right now to go through your portfolio, but I look forward to it.  I’ll be back

cameraclicker
    Participant

I took a quick peek, I’m running out of time too.  Definitely not fauxtog.  Your photos are far too good to make the front page here and the portraits I saw on page 8 suggest you have a good grasp of lighting, which, unless you take up really, really bad editing excludes you from the fauxtog group.

CraigMyran
    Participant

Definitely no preconceived notions of a business for my work.  No more than perhaps creating calendars or puzzles with my work as it progresses. I am attempting to practice lighting so perhaps in the future I could make some money doing portraiture.  I am in-between jobs at the moment unfortunately and do not have the money to buy good equipment so I am using two clamp lights and a 5-in-1 reflector to study light angles.  I am also studying business procedures so that I can run a business in the advent that I would actually consider doing so (kind of unlikely) and have found some good articles at sba.gov.  I also figure if I study lighting angles (even if the equipment isn’t up to par) I’ll be better suited to make lighting set-ups for my short films (that are likely).  Some of my earlier attempts at portraiture included using a lamp and a cardboard box around the hood with the flaps as barn-doors for a one-source portrait.  They were done using a Canon Elura 80 (camcorder).  Tried natural lighting portraits as well since the sun is free and free is in my budget.  I have a lot of  practicing to do and not many people to practice on.

Thank you for commenting and I hope you find something enjoyable to look at in my stream when you find time to do so (and I hope you do, I enjoy critiques and comments).  Without critiques, I do not grow.

CraigMyran
    Participant

If you have an account at facebook, this should be open for anyone to look at (some of my other portraits): http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.112899608851685.17816.100003949407468&type=3

nairbynairb
    Participant

You have some really nice shots in there! You seem to enjoy what you do, so keep doing it!

Pictures I like:

Frozen in View

Reflection of a Day

If this one had a bittttt sharper focus it would be amazing, love the composition:

(upon looking at it larger I realize that it is in focus, it’s just the overall sharpness that brings it down)
    Watching a Chipmunk

Caterpillar on Blade of Grass

CraigMyran
    Participant

The sharpness issue is due to the use of old 35mm lenses on the crop-frame sensor (APS-C) of my 1000D.  I decided to use the softening to my advantage in a unique form of pictorialism I am developing (or attempting to).

Thank you for the comments.  Very much appreciated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.