Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? How to Begin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    crystal.mullis7
    Participant

Hi, I’ve been looking at the site and was curious, how should people start off or approach things? I just started wanting to actually pursue professional photography and I am the first to say that I don’t feel like I know what I’m doing. It’s really scary to start out when there are so many talented people telling you you’ll never be good enough. I don’t consider myself a professional by any rights but I would love to achieve that someday. At this point I do not charge for my photos, seeing as I am so new to this. Taking pictures has been a passion of mine since I was big enough to hold a camera. I guess the point of this comment is this, how does one appropriately start a professional photography career?

fstopper89
    Participant

From most of the consensus in discussions people have had here, you should surely start by either attending classes in photography, art, marketing, digital software, and business. Or you can do a lot of self-study, which takes more discipline. It would also help to shadow an established photographer or possibly find a job, even if it’s part-time, working as a photographer’s assistant. Undoubtedly it won’t be overnight but knowing this is great! The “fauxtographers” who seem like they will never be better are the type that think they can just pick up a cheap camera with no knowledge on how to use it or any equipment and start charging people, and essentially it’s false advertising because they are clearly not professionals yet they are advertising that they are. And when people try to give them criticism they get angry and believe they are already good enough.

Also, do lots and lots of practice. Do both portraits and non-portraits. Really get to know your equipment. Hopefully you have proper equipment. For a beginner who doesn’t charge, there is nothing wrong with having an entry-level DSLR and a kit lens. When you want to move to making it a business you might consider investing in higher quality equipment that will help you achieve a more professional standard of quality. Heck, when I first started learning photography I could not afford a DSLR so I used a point-and-shoot. It obviously didn’t allow much control but you can properly compose a photo through any medium. Just start shooting with whatever you have! Ask for critiques as well and make people aware of what you are asking for a critique on and what kind of equipment you have.

All in all just don’t jump into it. You can learn quickly or take your time.

shp21
    Participant

I always suggest when starting out with photography to start with a film camera. Even if it’s just for a few months. Because today is all digital many photographers feel like because they can see their picture on the back of a 3″ screen they know what to do. Almost any picture looks good at 3″. You need to know what your camera is doing when you use certain settings and why. This will not only make you a more efficient photographer but it will give you an appreciation for your skill.

Beyond that, take classes for business first and foremost. This is a business, and it does require knowledge of taxes, book keeping, etc. You want to learn this side of things. And of course take courses for photography, AND get out and just take pictures for fun. If you do start with film, record your settings, when you get your pictures back you can review them and make any notes on what changes you need to make. If you use digital do the same thing as you review your pictures on your computer and make any mental notes there.

Start out shooting free. Nothing is worst than paying for crap pictures. Do NOT start out shooting weddings. Weddings are not a place to “experiment” with a business, these are huge events. Experiment on families, seniors, friends. These are all pictures that can be retaken if needed. Connect with some other photographers and second shoot with them for weddings. Work as an assistant.

Over all it boils down to knowledge of your camera and of the business. Photography these days has been cheapened greatly because people thing all it takes is a digital camera and boom! you’ve got a business. It’s so much more though. These photographers who work this way end up shooting very little or falling off the grid quickly! This is a business and like many businesses or places of work you have to work your way up the ladder. It might take 5+ years to start making a name for yourself. It might take even longer till you finally start making money. 80% of businesses fail within the first 5 years and 60% of those businesses fail within the next 5 years after that.

stef
    Participant

how should people start off or approach things?

People learn different ways. I learn by study, then attempting to implement. Others learn by rote, doing it over and over until they get it right (although everyone falls into this a little bit). Some people have to make every wrong choice before they can make the right choice.

I think a cheap DSLR coupled with a LOT of dedicated study is a fine way to learn. I prefer DSLRs in manual mode because you get more feedback, quickly. It will also teach you some bad habits, but the tradeoff is worth it. You can quickly see obvious issues at certain settings, and it will help you learn the effects of each control really fast. But nothing can substitute for the efficiency of actually hitting the books. You can spend a lifetime dicking with a camera, and still learn more in a year of book study + practice.

fstopper89
    Participant

I agree with stef. Read first, be totally confused, put it into tangible practice, which will then help you further understand what you just read. Don’t just blindly pick up a camera and “play” with it until you have some idea of what the settings do, or you’ll get more discouraged.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.