Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? How am I doing?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    snaphappy
    Participant

I shot these pictures awhile ago.  I love portraits, and I think I am pretty good at engagement pictures/couples pictures.  I would love some critiques or ideas on how I can do better.  Thanks in advance!  I do not charge, these couples are both friends.  Neither of them paid me, although one treated me to dinner! 🙂

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahnphotos/

Thom
    Participant

Hi Sarah,

Surprised no one has commented yet. So here goes…

I see what you’re going for.

The first image you have with them on the branch. I can do without the foreground leaves. It seems really voyeuristic. I feel it would’ve been perfectly fine at the angle you’re at without having anything in front.

The 2nd photo has nice DOF, it seems like there has to be context to it too. And I feel maybe the wardrobe is throwing me off.

The 3rd is too contrasty for my taste. For a sweet scene, I feel it should be smoother. A nicer softer light. If you want to go b&w like Jan’s portfolio:

http://www.micmojo.com/

Shoot more, I’d be interested in seeing more of your work. I think you’re on a good path.

Best,

Thom

cameraclicker
    Participant

First I have seen the post.  Probably something else was posted after it and I didn’t realize this was here.  The freshness indicators on this site don’t work very well for me… Anyway, here now.

I agree with Thom regarding the first image.  I really like the light, but I am not at all a fan of the out of focus foreground elements.  It didn’t occur to me that it is voyeuristic, though now that it’s mentioned…  I just find out of focus foreground objects mess with my eyes and I don’t like the feeling so it’s immediately on to the next one.

The second one has context, it’s the ring.  Try burning his upper arm and the white patches on his shirt a little.  The ring is in focus, they are not, there may be a little too much brightness in the areas that are not supposed to be focused on but otherwise it’s a good shot.

For the third one, I don’t shoot much B&W, I don’t see a lot of B&W that I like.  It’s a personal preference thing, perhaps.  I’ll defer to Thom regarding contrasty, and so on.  I will add that either they were each facing the wrong way or you were standing on the wrong side of them.  It is an engagement shoot?  Where is the ring?  All I see is a couple making out.  They could be anybody.  Oh, and his neck and the top of the hair where it meets the sky look totally burned out.  As is upper side of her forearm and her hand between thumb and index finger.  That might be due to too much contrast or too much exposure.

It’s a small sample but you seem to know what you are doing.  Keep shooting.

snaphappy
    Participant

Thank you so much for your critiques.  I am agreeing with the contrast on the third image for sure. I did a re-edit of that one here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahnphotos/8665079280/in/photostream

I am not sure how to burn out the color in his sleeves.  I used lightroom, so any advice there would be great!! I added a senior picture I did quite a bit ago.  It is just one I really like so I added that here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahnphotos/8665078534/in/photostream/

Thanks again for any help in advance!  I am still a work in progress, but I like to think I am getting there! 🙂

Thom
    Participant

Hey!

The photo with the couple looks much better. Nice tones. Very much softer. It’s funny, applying a black & white effect…there’s more choices than people realize. There’s “warmer” grey black and white and there is “colder” black and white.

Nice adjustment. Love it.

The senior picture..I’m not sure what I’d do with it, since it already looks really nice. I like her expression. If anything maybe bring up the exposure a little.

Cheers, Thom

cameraclicker
    Participant

The re-done B&W looks much better.

The senior picture looks like it was shot at night.   It could easily be a stop brighter with a little work on highlights and shadows to bring the highlights down a little and the shadows up a bit beyond one stop.  Why do her arms seem to have such a good tan when her face and hands do not?  She looks relaxed and comfortable, I like the photo.

snaphappy
    Participant

About the tanness, she golfs. I know she wears a glove, not sure which hand but that might be why.  I will try to make it brighter and tweak it some more!  Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.