Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Feedback Please?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    imaginarywings_
    Participant

I’m usually too scared to ask for critique, but I’m going to suck it up and be very open to hear anything anyone has to say(:
    I take photos of my friends, but I’m hoping to expand and start charging very soon…
    should i?
    please and thank you
    <3

i post most of my photos on here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabelmounier/

fstopper89
    Participant

I LOVE  your work! (That was me who just added you to my contact list on Flickr) Very artistic, and you demonstrate a solid understanding of your equipment and light. Your black and white portraits are amazing. As long as you know you can swing it and run a business right, I don’t see why you should not charge. Just make sure you have contracts! I would definitely hire you.

imaginarywings_
    Participant

@browneyedgirl89

Thank you so much! It really means a lot!
    I’m really just so scared to start charging because I’m not sure if people would actually pay haha
    You’re pictures are really amazing also
    Thanks so much for taking the time to look through mine(:
    <3

fstopper89
    Participant

People will pay. If you can produce work for clients, consistent to what your style in your portfolio is. Your portraits are very strong, especially your single-person portraits. That seems to be your niche, so if you’re going to start charging, market for high school seniors. If you are not comfortable doing family photos, practice with that before you charge. Don’t jump right into weddings either; not because your skill level isn’t there (it very well may be), but because it’s best to have a bit of a handle on the business side of regular photo sessions before you go big-time. It’s a LOT more work. You just have to market yourself to your target market, and understand it won’t be an overnight thing. Start with friends, and give them a discount, and ask them if they can refer others to you. It will be more by word of mouth at first; that’s how it was for me. It took awhile to get a more solid client base and I’m still not all the way there yet. Don’t sell yourself short either; check out your local market to see what other small business photogs are charging, and come close to matching that. Don’t be cheap and offer photo shoots for $50 with all the rights to the photos included like all the fauxtogs do. That will attract the clients who may not see the value in quality work.

stef
    Participant

Good stuff. Good processing. Looks like you saved a few images that werent exposed correctly. But I don’t see any glaring weaknesses, and you have some good strengths.

You are not a fauxtographer.

cameraclicker
    Participant

They look good to me too.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabelmounier/8165920237/in/photostream/ gave me crossed eyes but that’s not a fault.  Those eyes are amazing!  I am not fond of http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabelmounier/8155902635/in/photostream/, but because I don’t like that style — nothing to do with your ability.  I see others with the same “look”.  Obviously you can repeat it when you want.

I agree with the others you seem to have good control over the camera and editing.

kbee
    Participant

I’m no pro, but I love your photos and would be happy to pay you for a shoot any day. And I mean pay a good, honest price for your time. Lovely portfolio.

imaginarywings_
    Participant

browneyedgirl89: i just did my first real “client” i guess you would call them haha
    she’s very young and she got engaged and doesn’t have a lot of money so we’re still really talking about pricing, but i did take her photos
    and it was really good practice for engagement/couple photos(:
    i want it to work out really badly hehe

stef: thanks so much and yeah haha i can only get better <3

cameraclicker: i understand what you mean with that photo that you didn’t really like. i DO like the colors though and it is sort of a style some people don’t really care for haha, but i’m glad you liked some of the rest!

kbee: ahh thank you! <3 i hope other people feel the same! i want other people to really want my photos and are very interested that they will even pay!

Gerbles
    Participant

We don’t see this often: a person asking for critique that really IS ready to start charging (assuming your business skills are up to par). Awesome work, and it helps that you have really good looking friends 🙂

creyes8519
    Participant

It’s funny that the most talented photographers are the least confident in their own work, something I learned in this forum.  You are far from being a fauxtog, very far.  Great work

imaginarywings_
    Participant

gerbles:  thank you! I’m trying to start charging as much as I can. I’m waiting for better weather so that I can really do things outside since I love natural light

creyes8519: thank you <3

everyone is being so sweet
    thank you so much for taking the time to look through my photos (:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.