Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Fauxtog Horror Stories

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    fstopper89
    Participant

The Mommy Goggles site is also offline, it said the domain expired or something! I guess she just has to renew a subscription or something, but I tried referencing it to someone and it’s been down.

Kimera
    Participant
    cameraclicker
    Participant

http://www.amantofish.com/ is off-line!  I will try to check it again later as it sounds interesting.”

Site is back on-line.  Perhaps there was technical difficulties at the hosting site.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Kimera, that’s interesting use of both selective colour and blur.  Did  you notice the window frame matches the girl’s hair?

Kimera
    Participant

cameraclicker; actually the blur was already there as I panned on them from the bus window. I just thought the colour would make it mean something.

the function was a ‘region out of focus’, using a feathered radial greyscale around the two young people. I use a couple of freebies; one called Photoscape, and Photofiltre. There’s no way I can afford Photoshop! Gimp is a steep learning curve that I may eventually decide to climb, but for now I really just want to take photos for the sake of it.

🙂

Katie
    Participant

Jenz, you have mommy goggles for sure: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1641864806295.2088288.1227077292&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3935915316124&set=a.2351146457893.2141714.1227077292&type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3935910916014&set=a.2351146457893.2141714.1227077292&type=3&theater

Sorry hon, those photos are not good.

I am not making any further comments about her website after this. She was apparently being harassed by someone on FB or something? Not cool. So her page isn’t even up right now.

seth
    Participant

My cousin hired what turned out to be a fauxtographer.  I live out of state, but I wish she’d talked to me first.  This woman did okay…ish outside though she has little idea what composition is and doesn’t seem to know how to make any kind of lighting work for her, but inside the church, EVERY picture was blurry.  After a lot of run-around, my cousin was able to get a high-res disc (that didn’t work properly the first time, either) and I tried to clean up her favorite images as best I could.  This woman was using a very expensive Canon and a picture of our grandmother… ISO 400, shutter 1/13, f-stop 4, focal length 84mm…. OMG….  Horrible.
    Then I saw her website… one loooooooooooooooong page with everyone’s proofs right there and every so often an email address and “contact me for prints, all images copyrighted.”  Well, no wonder…

seth
    Participant

Oh!  But wait -there’s more —

Several years ago, my friend was getting married and I was not yet in a position to shoot her wedding.  She ended up with the father of one of her bridesmaids who had an established business.  We have no idea how he gets that business.  He kept looking at me with my entry level dSLR and looking VERY nervous and uncomfortable.  Of course, my pictures were largely crap.  I had JUST gotten the camera and was still learning it.  So anyway, his came back and I probably had more good ones than he did.  Not to mention, he’s already giving them a “deal” but totally ripped them off.  Told her to pick out however many pics she wanted for the book but then failed to mention that after x there would be overages and tried to bill her another $500.  She said forget that, just give me one 4×6 of everything.  So he did… and they looked like he’d printed them out at home, very poor quality and paper and ink.  Her mother ordered an 8×10, the price was outrageous and what he sent her was the picture on copy paper.  The disc he sent her that was supposed to have low-res images on it… it was just a link to his freaking website.  And to get a digital copy of those images you had to do a screen capture as each one was actually in 4-6 pieces so there was no right-clicking and doing save as to get what she’d originally been promised.  At the reception, he had way too many pics of his daughter including her dancing with her boyfriend’s hands on her butt.

My friend would have sued his ass off but for his daughter being her friend.  I think she wishes now that she had, since they’re not friends anymore, anyway, for other reasons.

fstopper89
    Participant

Haha. Today at work, one of my dad’s friends came in. He approached me and said “so, your dad tells me you’re a photographer. So, do you like, have Photoshop pro and stuff?” I said yes, I have the full version. He then said, “Well my son just got married. The person who did the photos wasn’t a professional. There’s this picture we want but they used the flash and it was really bright, and there are huge shadows. Can I bring in this photo and can you use photoshop to take out the shadows?” I had to not laugh. Obviously, he’s an average consumer so doesn’t know that PS is not magic. I told him it’s possible to improve an image sligghtly, but you can’t really fix something like that (and not to mention it sounded like he wanted to give me a print to scan). Either way, it’s dipping into copyright territory if I’d actually give them a “fixed” image from another photog. But for crying out loud, another example to hire someone who knows how to shoot a wedding!

seth
    Participant

No kidding!

ugh I HATE removing shadows.

Shoot it right the first time and there will be less editing!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.