Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Critique por favor!

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    dont.care
    Participant

I don’t really think there’s a whole lot of gaussian blur there though.. Think it’s bad masking and a guassian blur in effect to try an cover it up

rookie35m
    Participant

These are great snapshots. Its more important to enjoy the times with your children and have a photographic log of their lives than it is to achieve image excellence.. if you are not a professional. But you can turn snapshots into decent photography by creating interest. Just some general tips for you:

– don’t center your images.  ( not a hard and fast rule, but a good guideline)

– watch your headroom and your crops. If you are capturing an image that includes a wrist, get the whole hand into the frame. Too much headroom and not filling your frame turns images into less interesting snapshots.

– Don’t be afraid to get on the ground. I think your angles were good. Good images capture angles we don’t normally see. Usually we see children below our eye level and we photograph them that way, the image can become mehhh. The same goes for flowers or geese on a lake. As my mentor drilled into me.. use that sneaker zoom.. put your knees in the dirt.

– This may be a personal preference but the best images to me capture interaction.. either with the environment or other subjects. This was mentioned above about taking more candid style shots. That moment capturing a child happily playing in leaves is the kind of shot that elicits emotion. A person sitting on a log with a half smile, half sneeze expression.. not so much.

– On the technical side, you’re exposures aren’t bad and a couple I took a closer look at have the eyes in focus. Its more the composition that suffered in this set.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.