Home Forums Photography Showcase constructive criticism only, please!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    photocriticgirl
    Participant
    JLiu
    Participant

1)  The foreground is exposed pretty well, but the windows are completely blown out (i.e. overexposed). I assume you were trying to do shot using only natural light – really tough given the amount of contrast in the scene. If possible, set up reflectors next time to catch some of that light and bounce it back into that dark corner. This way, it makes it easier to meter for the windows and hopefully get a more even exposure. Otherwise,  play around with the shadows and highlights to eke out a little more detail, especially around the feet of the subject.

2)  I personally feel the composition would be stronger by cutting out about a third of the right frame – but that’s a personal opinion. Here, it appears the window was metered a lot better, at the cost of the shadows being underexposed – especially with the clothes. Just like #1, play around with shadows and highlights (or dodge/burn, darken/lighten layers, however you edit) to eke out some more detail.

3)  Spot on exposure, given the location. You can actually see some of the detail in the dress, and the background is not “hot” (taking away from the subject). Although not a requirement, the composition could be strengthened by adhering to the “rule of thirds” – especially with subjects looking in a particular direction. It’s better to give a little space in that direction…not sure how to properly word that.

Mm….that’s all I have time for now. I’ll get to the rest after lunch.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Conceptually, I like twoofme best.  Possibly it is a little dark but so is the subject.

The photos with windows have either very dirty windows or windows coated with opaque material.  The trees seen through the broken window are over exposed.  Judging by the twoofme photo, you should not have any trouble fixing that if you shot to a raw file.  Just process the file again with less exposure and use a layer mask to overlay the two exposures.

Not sure what, but the floating girl photos need something more to convince me they are not just photoshopped.  Shadow perhaps?

fotopoopie
    Participant

I’ve look through your photo stream.

Straighten out your photos!  Also you could use some off camera flash to bring out your subject.

That’s all I will say about that!

Keep shooting!

FTW!

~Poopie

sarah5string
    Participant

Liking the concept. Have you tried getting closer into your subject? Quite a few of them would benefit from getting tighter in to bring out the detail in the model rather than a big blank wall. Negative space is great sometimes but if the background is too busy is distracts from the subject. 🙂

As the others have said some of them need straightening out. Takes two second in photoshop or similar.

What camera are you using? Some have an inbuilt level which you can use as a guide.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.