Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Can you have a degree in photo with that

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    learner
    Participant

Hi! I’ve found a page on facebook of someone saying he have a degree in photo. But the question is… can you get a degree when you’re photo are these ” https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=155476757936673&set=pb.101690106648672.-2207520000.1380066894.&type=3&theater ” ? Is it even legal? I’ve asked him about is insanely poorly made selective color, and he told me that this [poorly made] selective color are intentionnally did the way it is.

Please someone, help me see it stray.

Bill
    Participant

@ Learner – what’s wrong with your eyes? That is fine art at it’s finest {SARCASM}

Intuition
    Participant

Okay so I go to the Art Institute online for photography. It’s sort of a terrible place, and I see photos like that in class all the time. Because it’s an effort based for profit school, so if you do the bare minimum you’ll pass and end up with a degree. I know that doesn’t say much about me, but I honestly needed the direction and guidance to self teach, and that’s what it did for me.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Schools and restaurants are alike in some ways.  At their most basic they are buildings that keep the weather out.  It’s the inhabitants that provide function and atmosphere.  Just as a great cook provides a wonderful experience to diners and a poor cook may result in diners never returning, there are wonderful inspiring teachers who communicate their knowledge and enthusiasm, and sadly, there are teachers who are just there for the pay cheque.  Also, just as there are diners with no sense of taste who are just eating for nourishment, and others that truly enjoy the experience and participate fully, there are students who are present for their own various reasons and with their own varying levels of motivation and aptitude.

Over the years I have watched way too much TV, much of it American programming.  Harvard and Yale are the big names with acknowledged rivalry that appears in several shows.  I couldn’t point to any person and say with certainty “Oh, he went to ___________!”  The real questions are “What has he done for me, lately?” and “What is he going to do for me in the future?”  The only people who have ever taken any interest in where I went to school were HR folks.  The customers are all about “Can you design/build/fix it?”, and after you have done something well for them once, they come looking for you the next time.  If you have the knowledge and ability, that’s what counts.  How you got your skills is mostly irrelevant.  Of course, the exception to that is if you are a social climber.

Intuition
    Participant

That’s about how I feel, I wasn’t getting what I needed trying to teach myself randomly, I had little of idea of how to start, I just knew where I wanted to be. It helped me start at the beginning and get to where I am now. Which still isn’t great, but I’m getting better every shoot 🙂 It just amazes me some of the pictures that people put up in some of these classes haha.

ebi
    Participant

My girlfriend is always bitching about people they hire in her job who come from prestigious universities like harvard, yale, brown, etc…they may be very book smart but for everyday practical knowledge they are kind of just idiots. George W Bush received a masters in business…from HARVARD! Yet he still managed to destroy our economy in just a few short years as President. So as you can see, college education doesn’t really matter. Most of the people I graduated with from college didn’t really do so well out of college.

nesgran
    Participant

Higher education is overrated. Obviously, for certain jobs it is indispensable but for so many jobs I fail to see the point. Photography is one of them.

As for having attended one of the better universities in the world for medicine it looks very good on my CV but most of my memories of that place are pretty awful. Much of what we were taught does not reflect the reality of being a doctor in 2013 but rather some kind of fairy tale. This is worrying me as what I did is essentially a vocational qualification, you are geared to do one thing and one thing only. What will happen with all these people who study some kind of doss subject like geography? My girlfriend is now trying to find a job but in the UK there is this job segregation that lots of things will require a university degree, any university degree and it doesn’t matter if it is completely unrelated or not.

Honestly, sometimes I just wish I’d gone down the road of photography instead but at least this way I get to make occasional images that give me things in return (monies or stuff I want) and won’t ruin photography for me. Sometimes I just get to make a friend happy, in July I uncle bobbed a wedding and despite not giving her the album until about six weeks later I was still ahead of the hired tog in giving photos. Since this was the first time she really got to see that day in print she was ecstatic. If I’d known they still hadn’t had their album I would have waited but at least I didn’t ruin the tog’s day on the wedding by being annoying.

[/random ramblings]

fstopper89
    Participant

I had a very good and helpful experience taking photography and art courses in college (at the two different universities I attended). I did not get a degree, but the courses gave me a really good foundation. But it required effort. I’ve probably learned more about all sides of photography after college, but I picked up on it very quickly… because I learned from the bottom up in college. My first course was entirely film (manual shooting, winding and developing film, making prints in a darkroom). I think that hands-on experience was invaluble. It taught us that one cannot simply pick up a camera and edit the shit out of it and call it good. Besides the technical stuff, we learned composition and artistic elements in photography. I have always had an artistic eye but this helped give me direction. Before college I did love photography. I had a point and shoot that had ‘manual’ settings. I began experimenting with it on manual. I also had a very early PS Elements and would ‘edit’ my own photos when I was younger. Of course they had ultra-smooth skin and blinding white teeth and eyes (much like the fauxtogs edit). When I was 15 I job-shadowed one day at the photography studio that my dad was friends of the owner. I watched their son edit senior pictures for several hours and he taught me a few things. Other classes I took in college were on digital photography and using Photoshop and other graphic software. I wouldn’t trade the hands-on learning for anything. Yes there are plenty of photographers who are self-taught but a lot of them start out as fauxtogs because they skipped the basics. Many eventually learn and become successful. There is one woman who started a photography business a year or so ago and mentored under one of the popular action creators but her stuff was kind of bad. Now however she’s amazing at what she does.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.