Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Bad Marketing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sarah
    Participant

I think its bad to belittle your fellow photographers in your area especially when it seems like you don’t seem to be doing any better than most of the others. IMO it makes them seem desperate for clients.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2r2aohu.jpg

Nightrose
    Participant

The funny thing with the ad you linked to, is the supposed “professional” didn’t even take the time to check his punctuation and spelling. Professionalism isn’t just being able to take great photos, it’s about communication and marketing (among many other aspects).

What is even worse is when fellow photographers are doing much better than you and their work is so horrendous that you just want to curl up in the foetal position and never leave your house again.  There’s one who is advertising on FB at the moment, who has over 800 “likes” and as far as I can tell, everything in their portfolio is worthy of this site!  Hideously saturated sepia, even worse HDR, badly-executed (and boring) landscapes, and people shots that look like they’ve been taken with a low-quality point&shoot.  Man, it HURTS me to look at this stuff!

While the petty side of me would dearly love to “name and shame” them , it is poor form to do so, as it makes said namer (ie me) look like a sad and desperate fool.

The best thing to do is to go back and reassess one’s own marketing skills and create new strategies and wares with which to seduce potential clients.  It’s also never a good idea to compare oneself with others, but unfortunately that is usually easier said than done!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.