Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Am I a Fauxtog?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Beckiiie_Ann
    Participant

I know, I am probably not experienced enough, but  I am in a small town, and am booked four to five days a week. I used to work for free but it got out of hand. I’m so nervous!

Crush me.

http://www.beckieanngalentine.com/

cameraclicker
    Participant

OK!  Well…  When I opened your page, it was at Portraits, and the first image was on the right side and faded.   I probably wasn’t paying attention, but I did not see any controls, to advance the images, so I moved on to the next link, Seniors.  Seniors opened the way I expected Portraits to open and showed me a brunette with her top open!  As a result, I got through all your other galleries before I saw Portraits.  Along the path I learned you are hard on furniture, and some animals. ;o)

From your photos, I learned Mary G Allison died in November of the year Canada experienced Confederation!

Your photos are nice.  Watch your backgrounds, keep practising, keep growing, if you are too busy – raise your rates.

fstopper89
    Participant

You have very nice work! You catch emotion well and have a way of making eyes sparkle. I envy that. A lot of your colors are hazed or subdued; while I like this, as it gives a mood and artistic feel to each image, something to keep in mind (also advice I learned in the last year) Do clean, consistent edits of all photos from the session, and then do the more artsy finishes in addition (which you may already do). Keep it up.

What lenses are you using? I love the sharpness and like I said, the eyes.

lolkat
    Participant

Some nice work in there, mostly the senior portraits. Not a fan of any of the child portraits (focus and exposure issues) or the maternity photos (just not very creative or flattering), and the “other work” section has a lot of blood, knives and morbid themes. Don’t get me wrong, I love morbidity in photography, and I love cemeteries, but it doesn’t fit with the type of style you are marketing. In other words, it may turn people off. (parents looking for senior portraits, or child portraits).  Also, one with the balloon that says F- you- remove that as well. If you want to show your personal work, I would have another site dedicated to that.

creyes8519
    Participant

I totally agree with the above poster.  The “other work” is awesome, but should not be used in your website.  Your portraits are really nice.  You need to work on your child portraiture.  If the shot is not sharp, dump it.  Don’t put it in your portfolio.  You’ve got great work, and I can see why you’re getting a lot of work.  One other suggestion is to fix your website.  It’s slow, and I would suggest removing flash.  I am a web developer and I suggest for all businesses trying to market their business to use as little flash as possible.  Sometimes it can get a little buggy and in your case the main photo is too faded to see and you want your best shots on the main page fully visible to keep users interested in seeing more.

Beckiiie_Ann
    Participant

Not  asking for feedback on my website, but thanks to anyone with legitimate, honest advice on my work. Removed the out of focus photo of the blonde baby and relocating the other work section to a zine I am publishing. I’ve only been shooting for two years, and need a LOT of improvement. The faded colors are part of my style, and I appreciate everyone respecting that.

fstopper89
    Participant

The faded color photos look great, but one thing to keep in mind is that some clients don’t like that style. I know I mentioned it above but in your albums post a few examples of a clean edit next to a different/faded edit or a b+w of the same image so that they can see that you can do a normal edit too if they aren’t into the other style. It just might open up a few more potential clients when they can say “Oh, she’s got a few options.” There’s an amazing photographer in my state, hugely sought-after especially for weddings, and I love them… but… the only style they really post examples of are very subdued, hazy tone photos. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but would I love that style in 5 years? 10? I don’t know, therefore, when I go with a photographer in the future I want someone who can also provide me with a solid, clean photograph plus a few hazy/subdued/etc. options. And you CAN do it if you know how to edit, it’s just a matter of letting potential clients know that when they see your site. I myself love the hazy style and it’s very popular right now.

creyes8519
    Participant

I only suggested fixing your website because if you are using your website to market your services, it may benefit you to fix those little things.  Your photography is great IMO.

Beckiiie_Ann
    Participant

I know this, and I do offer alternate editing options in with the final product. I will keep that in mind <3

stef
    Participant

the faded photos were part of the presentation. once active, they saturated.

your photography is solid, although it looks like you do a lot of “happy accidents”. You know what looks good, but might not be able to say why.

the comments on your website are completely legitimate, and i agree that the “other” stuff should be removed to another personal site or buried down a bit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.