Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum a facebook group i joined

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sexyoldwoman
    Participant

i submitted this as a link to the website, but i want to get some other peoples opinions too ….

i joined this group on facebook, not all claim to be pros, some are amateur. however, some do claim to be pros, and watermark their stuff accordingly, although their pictures, imo stink. i have never seen so many bad photographers, in one place, complimenting each other and thumbing up each others terrible pictures

boring, over processed, cliche, and the comments ….. eurgh it makes me cringe

http://www.facebook.com/groups/londonphotowalk/

is it just me ?

nairbynairb
    Participant

Like 8 of the first pics I clicked on had bad selective colouring lol…

And then I came across this on there: http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226545_10151298138542038_1613216111_n.jpg

sexyoldwoman
    Participant

yeah, hahaha the irony

Brownie
    Participant

The irony makes me ill…ughh…

fstopper89
    Participant

Am I missing something? lol. I’m assuming this is sarcasm, sometimes it doesn’t come across the net well. That group has some awesome photos. A few odd ones but mostly pretty amazing.

kbee
    Participant

I see a lot of great photos (disclaimer: I’ve had like 3 hours of sleep so how much that means, who knows). Though I see some real awful ones, though. Take for example that blurry, dark, random as photo of the pool table. What?

sexyoldwoman
    Participant

not sarcasm at all

please tell me which you think are awesome ?

fstopper89
    Participant
    cameraclicker
    Participant

There are a couple by Joseph Zee that I liked; Graham Kates’ blue lights under the bridge is nice, James Brooks’ deserted platform;  Ingrid Manta’s ship basin (she states she is a total beginner); Ali Jawed’s blue walkway (my wife would not like it because she does not like blue lights, I think it looks cool); James Brooks’ moving train and platform; Fabio Mastrangioli’s clock tower and bus lights is pretty cool; as is Julian Roshan’s photo of the same scene (and perhaps the better of the two).

I agree with kbee and browneyedgirl89.  There are some nice photos there.  It does seem that everyone that goes to London shoots the government buildings and clock tower and I have seen similar photos published.  A similar photo taken during the day with a red bus was the subject of a legal dispute because it appeared on a tin of tea.   So what?  No two light trails photos are exactly the same and landmarks are photographed continuously.

sexyoldwoman
    Participant

well i am stunned anyone would find these images acceptable

this ? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200316771536377&set=o.191000463901&type=1&theater

its hideously over processed

really, quite stunned

cameraclicker
    Participant

I like it. It has a nice palette.  Focus is good.  Framing is nice.  It looks like HDR.  I have seen some really well done HDR that looked like HDR and some hideous HDR..  It looks more painting than photograph due to the HDR tone mapping but does not have the luminosity cranked so high that everything glows.  I think this was pretty well done

This thread is a reason I think it is important to display your own work when providing critiques to others.  They can see where you are coming from.  If someone provides a critique and I like their work, I will give their critique more weight, if I don’t like their work, their critique may get no weight at all.

sexyoldwoman
    Participant

well, im glad i asked, its interesting to hear opinions so different from my own. haha

winephoto
    Participant

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=519383148090304&set=oa.10151494317333902&type=1&theater Love the first comment: “Also, I would have left the person and handbag in colour, with the rest in black and white… Still a nice capture”

fstopper89
    Participant

the image in question is a pretty well-executed HDR image imo. I don’t see funky halos and the colors are not over-saturated. HDR is somewhat ofa surrealistic type of photography, so you have to judge it as a separate art in some ways. the photo itself has nice framing as well.

kbee
    Participant

I can see where some people would dislike the general fare posted to the group if they’re not fans of HDR. HDR is pretty dramatic, and I like it when it’s done properly. I do know some purists who hate it with a passion because it’s ‘unrealistic’. To each their own. The group certainly does have a lot of HDR photos, but I’ve seen a lot worse, and I am someone who likes HDR for the most part.

Pardon the short post, I’ve got company so I’m distracted. Might post some more later for SOW to illustrate what I like (and don’t). 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.