Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? you're not a real photographer because your camera is too small/ not full frame

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    fstopper89
    Participant

All interesting arguments here.

I do know a few pros who produce awesome work and they are using crop bodies. Yes, these are few and far between… but it’s obviously working for them. I would agree that if I were attending a wedding and saw the photographer using an entry-level body and kit lenses that I would seriously question their ability. My friend’s cousin got married last summer and they couldn’t afford her to shoot their wedding (she did their engagements though, and she’s a really good wedding photographer) and she said the photographer at the wedding was shooting with a 5D Mark II but seemed to be posing everyone awkwardly and she was doubting his skills. Sure enough, her cousin shared the gallery password to friends and family and the entire album of like 500 photos is just awful. Poor lighting, blah depth of field, horrible posing, and it’s like he managed to catch the worst possible expressions in the candids. And that all came from a nice full-frame camera. His skills as a photographer were seemingly nonexistent.

The supposed best digital cameras out there now are the medium format and large format cameras like the Hasselblad. Heck I could never afford that as a system, unless I took out a mortgage-size loan. But does it make me a faux because I’m not using the best camera available? No, for one in many cases that kind of camera is probably overkill anyway, but I can produce sharp, well-exposed photos that can be printed extremely large for my clients with the equipment I do have.

fstopper89
    Participant

Another example. Awhile back in a photography forum a girl posted that she was having issues with a client being dissatisfied with her son’s senior photos. We were asking what was up and I asked if she could send a link to the gallery. She sent it to me and there were only 12 photos. I asked if there were more and she said those were the only ones that turned out and that’s what she gave the client. They were all really blah, all had a green/yellow cast. I downloaded them in full-resolution to get a 100% view of them. All but two were unacceptably soft in focus and all had terrible ISO noise (grain and color splotches). She shot most of them in a woods and there was harsh light coming in from one angle which added to the bad color/exposure. I told her what I was seeing in the photos. They were also not shot in RAW. I said that with how soft some were, they wouldn’t be able to make a good print over a 4×6 or 5×7. I asked the hypothetical question- “Was your client expecting to be able to make large prints?” She said “I don’t know… we never discussed expectations.” In the metadata I saw they were shot with a T2i and a kit lens.

^ ^There. That is a supposed “professional” advertising and charging money for photos she couldn’t stand behind.

CPowers
    Participant

Expectations have to be one of the first things discussed… how else can you know if you can deliver?!

CC’s Santa photo:  Major giggles there! They have their shoot-through positioned like a bounce!!… wtf? So their Alien Bee is throwing light all over the mall. So, the subject is the only thing NOT lit by the key light. I know, it’s an advertising tool. Like a sky tracker spotlight in the sky! They flash the mall and folks see the flash and are drawn like moths… brilliant!!

Duly.noted
    Participant

@CPowers

To be fair a shoot through umbrell does still bounce light. Not as efficiently as an actual bounc umbrella. But they can be used that way.

I know many great photographer that produce amazing work with m43 cameras. There is nothing about them that would limit your ability to produce great work. The lenses are the best that exist besides leica, plenty of off camera lighting options,  image quality that exceeds almost all apsc cameras on the market and exceeds that of full frame cameras just a few years old. Don seems to think that somehow having a smaller sensor means you can properly focus or expose your image?

cameraclicker
    Participant

To be fair a shoot through umbrell does still bounce light. Not as efficiently as an actual bounc umbrella. But they can be used that way.

Not all umbrellas are created equal.  My Nikon umbrellas let some light through, even with the black/reflector cover in place.  My Bowens umbrellas let far less light through, and reflect much better because the black/reflector cover has a better silver reflector.    With any of them, removing the cover to configure shoot through mode, the expectation is that most of the light will pass through.  It’s a good thing the strobe can manage 640 WS!  It probably helps that the mall lights are pretty bright.

cameraclicker
    Participant

I did a couple of tests with a Bowens umbrella.  Cover on vs. cover off was worth a stop.  Moving the umbrella from where I would normally position it, to the end of the shaft caused a loss of a third of a stop.  Mileage probably varies with the brand of lamp and umbrella.

The white part alone was more reflective than I expected!  With the cover off, only a third of a stop more light goes through than is reflected back.  That’s a lot of spill!

JH

Since it should indeed be cost effective to create linux server management company (http://tinyurl.com/) is amongst the most well-known systems online.

thepotato
    Participant

No. But:

1. I’m a hobbyist photographer.
    2. Everyone who’ve I’ve had the pleasure of shooting with have seen my portfolio.

SN

You must currently get yourself a php information page loading that is great.

Feel free to visit my web blog: linux server management course (http://thedevilswater.co.uk/)

FG

This really is excellent for a brand-new Linux person who has to
    get Linux instruction and really wants to learn Linux in Windows.

Take a look at my website best linux server management software

JBrook

I’ve noticed that bona-fide professionals say that quality (not necessarily expensive) equipment is what you need besides talent if you’re going to flourish in the photography business. I haven’t used a full frame camera once yet and I think I’m doing ok. 🙂
    Fauxtogs either put all their faith in their expensive Canikon FF equipment, believing that that’s all it takes…or they get the $299 cam/kit lens package from Best Buy (if that’s still around), run free filters on them and call them “creations”.
    Most people who either have the experience or sincerely want to learn know you only get out of it what you put into it….and its more than just $$$.

WV

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
    I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results.
    If you know of any please share. Kudos!

Look at my website … Extreme Cleanse Supplement

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.