Home Forums Photography Showcase Wondering where I stand….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    catdudz
    Participant

Guess I am wondering if I am bad lol and if so, well, how bad. I guess I should mention right off the bat that they are all grainy but that is because of how I do my images when I post them online, my prints and client galleries are much higher quality.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3130499/viewall

JustAndy
    Participant

Idk, where do you want to stand?  I’m serious; they’re solid but don’t really stand out.  I think you are a competent photographer and I can only assume you make your clients happy… are you satisfied with them?  If your clients are happy and you are then so be it… So my question is what do you want to get out of this post?  Are you bored, are you looking for inspiration?  I think the shot on the stairway needs to go; it’s getting into creepy up skirt territory, but to each their own… You have potential and I think you need to go outside your comfort zone a shade.  One other thing, you have “models” if you could get some models that also could “act” a bit to add more emotion and depth to your images you would greatly benefit – there is a degree of detachment in the overall subjects.

Think about what you want to get out of your subjects.  Right now I’d say you are a solid, clean, photographer who creates images that lack emotion… Also, confused about the grain… 72dpi @ 1000pixels or 800pixels on the widest edge should be more than enough…

Bill
    Participant

Hello Cat – Just to warn you, I am not critiquing you to be mean or anything like that, just pointing out what I see as another photographer.

Your not bad, it looks like you have a certain style and it needs some mixing up. True the models you are using [not sure if they are friends or not] need some emotion, they all look too plain, no one looks happy or sad or anything, just bland expressions.
    There were not too many photos on your web site, but the ones I looked at, I have some questions. What resolution are they when uploaded? I ask, because many look pixelated like they are really low quality.

Here are some examples, screenshots I took:

zoomed in 150%
    100% from site
    This one looks out of focus, low res?
    Look at the difference in expressions

If these are the result of low-res images on your site, then you need high quality ones to display.  If they are, like you state, then you have some technical issues to address like focus and sharpness, but these are minor.

The only major issue I see is the web-site.  The iTunes layout on Google Chrome is wanky and does not flow very well.  What ever app you used to create it could also be the reason the images look so low quality, out of focus and pixelated.  Might need more background on that, so don’t take it to heart just yet.

I do like the fact that you have a mobile page, and the images appear to be sharper there then your desktop version but I cannot zoom into them to “really” compare.

You have a good look that just needs a little tweaking, but by far not a faux if that’s what you were worrying about.

nairbynairb
    Participant

First thing I would do if I were you is take down all of the photos that aren’t in focus (roughly 90% of them)

IF  those are your best shots I would recommend that you stop charging people (If you are)

I guess I should mention right off the bat that they are all grainy but that is because of how I do my images when I post them online

That just seems like an excuse… Why would you not want to show off the quality of your work?

Put more thought into your images too… Not just how the model looks when you’re taking the photo, but EVERYTHING in the photo.

You have cut-off feet,

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33675503

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33675503#33675534

This one isn’t too flattering to the model because she was forced to look down at you, making her chin/neck appear like a double chin:
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33675503#33611978

And this one WOULD have been a great image, had it been in focus!
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33675503#33561016

ebi
    Participant

Everything seems slightly, if not completely, out of focus. If you are getting your models from model mayhem…stop…there are not real models on model mayhem. Use them to test lighting on and getting comfortable with being on set with ppl but don’t put them in your book.

JanJan
    Participant

You should put your shots on Flickr or something. I tried going on your MM, but it’s no longer there. But judging from the screenshot, your profile was probably removed because you had young children, which they don’t want.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.