Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Where are most of the Fauxs Located?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    iliketag
    Participant

I live in one of the most concetrated military populations (for a single city) in the US. There are a lot of faux’s here and in the surrounding areas. There are also some stellar togs. No matter where you go there will be a mixture of  bad-“eh”-good-better-best. No matter how thriving the artistic community, fashion industry or culture. I see some phenomenal photos out of Japan and China on Flickr… and some that are just blurry snapshots passed off as “Professional Street Photography”. I have seen scores of images of the Eiffel Tower on there as well. Some are fantastic and artistic – new spins on something so often shot… and then I see pro studios with oversaturated, instagram filter crap on their stream with their watermark all over it. “But but but, it’s Paris!”, you say! Nope… still fauxtogs there too.

Fauxtography is everywhere and anywhere cameras can be had and money can be made.

dont.care
    Participant

There’s this one dude on flickr I believe is Japanese, he’s got some AWESOME photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moaan/

iliketag
    Participant

Most of his stuff is fantastic! I can’t get over some of that glamour/diffuse glow in some of the photos, but hey, it happens when you have over 2,500 photos in your stream! I love the shots of the monkeys in the hot spring! So crisp and such a cool opportunity to shoot

JanJan
    Participant

I don’t really think this thread is like a witch hunt, and in my honest opinion, no different than the Fauxtogs who should end up the main page thread. Just wanted to put that out there.

I gave examples to show that fauxtogs are everywhere, even in Cali, where I was born and raised. I’ve met people from other states who think that Cali is some out-there exception to the rule over every other state. Yes, there is more diversity and a lot more people, but I don’t judge someone’s talent based on where they’re from. The biggest talent could be from an obscure town in the middle of nowhere.

However, I will give someone props for making it out in the big cities because with so many people, it’s much more competitive. And on a side note, this competitiveness in jobs is the reason why I moved to a much smaller city (Vegas).

Jeremy Cowart is a prime example. He’s now a celebrity photographer, but his career started in Nashville, his hometown (obviously a far cry from Hollywood). Here’s his website – http://www.jeremycowart.com. I first heard of him when I attended Photoshop World in Vegas, where he was a speaker.

cameraclicker
    Participant

These are some pretty bad wedding photos.

only $500 for a wedding.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/crs/3837047123.html

The photos on their actual page (http://www.daughtryphotography.com/#!weddings/coqa) look reasonable.  $500 gets you up to 2 hours of photography — ceremony only, 20 edited files on a CD and a 10% discount on prints.  It sounds like a couple of hours of travel, a couple of hours of shooting, perhaps a pre-wedding meeting to organize, and a day of editing.  As the prices go up, they offer more shooting time and more edited photos but the most they offer is 100+ edited photos which could be 101, or 102 but might be 150 or 200, possibly depending on how well they turned out and the amount of editing required.

What am I missing?

fotopoopie
    Participant

Cameraclicker, their work isn’t that bad at all for the money.  I saw some issues here and there, but who is perfect.   It just proves my point that they are had to find. Personally I live in NJ. It’s full of local fauxs that are horrible.  They don’t bother trying to compete with NY  because they can’t.

I like how in this thread alarnold decided to post someone who is clearly not a faux. It’s nice to see photographers who inspire others here.

Maybe there should be a new thread called ” Photographers who inspire us and why ”

~Poopie

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.