Home Forums Photography Showcase When Life Gives You Lemons…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Trainwreck
    Participant

…chop ‘em up for cocktail garnish!

f/16 @ 1/200th ISO 800 FL 70mm. 3x studio strobes fired.

Please feel free to comment should the urge strike. I am always open to suggestion!

From the Hogwart’s School of Photography…

LemonSlice

cameraclicker
    Participant

From the Hogwart’s Culinary School, I think.  Isn’t that the place where they teach you to pass the knife through your materials without getting anything on the knife?  It’s a technique that saves clean-up time!  I’m not sure about the reflection, either.  It may not match the blade/lemon angles.  Mostly only physicists that will care anyway.

Otherwise, I really like it.

nesgran
    Participant

It is no doubt a nice shot, I just prefer your whisky shot actually. This just seems a bit more improbable somehow. I can’t put my finger on it somehow

Good taste in knives though

Trainwreck
    Participant

Thank you for commenting guys.

For the physicists the reflection is as shot and not manipulated or faked!

MikeUptonWrites
    Participant

Quite nice. I, as nesgran said, prefer your whiskey shot as well. It definitely makes me want lemonade, but I’m not sure how I feel about the empty space in the lower right. That is just my opinion, however. Now to find some lemonade…

Trainwreck
    Participant

Hi Mike!

Thank you for stopping in, having a peek and commenting.

I guess I can’t really answer for personal preference. Except to say that if folks here seem to prefer whiskey to lemonade then I am definitely in the right place!

Typical reason for negative space in product photography…

…adding copy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125044926@N07/14393978651/

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

The only plausible situations where this photo would be possible without manipulation or HIDDEN KNIFE SUPPORTS is where (a) the lemon is propelled TOWARD the knife, and the knife TOWARD the lemon with a rotational force with the fulcrum point approximately near the very bottom of the blade handle, or (b) the lemon is thrown into the path of the spinning knife MOVING RIGHT TO LEFT (ie., an expert  knife throwing exercise) at the PRECISE moment the blade is aligned to slice the lemon in half.

Either way, it’s a great shot. 🙂

nesgran
    Participant

Interesting, eyedoc’s comment got me thinking and I think I prefer the photo rotated 90 degrees clockwise, it just makes more sense somehow to my brain.

Trainwreck
    Participant

The only plausible situations where this photo would be possible without manipulation or HIDDEN KNIFE SUPPORTS is where (a) the lemon is propelled TOWARD the knife, and the knife TOWARD the lemon with a rotational force with the fulcrum point approximately near the very bottom of the blade handle…

Now that blows me away Doc!

That is EXACTLY how I did it!

Thankfully I got it within the first 100 tries! My assistant, who was catching the knife, (can’t allow the product to be damaged you know) was starting to bleed pretty badly!

Interesting thought nesgran.

I would submit that rather than rotate the image the shot would be set up and taken in the aspect you are describing. That way the drips, drops, runs on the knife, etc. would look better (again with the physicists!) and more according to the laws of gravity.

Of course, I never studied law!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.