Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography What's in your camera bag?

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Kimera
    Participant

… oh ya, an addition: a Sony Handycam. Not even HD. It has a mini-tripod I use as a handle.

jetpix
    Participant

For the gearheads (or not) –

I’d be curious to know – In what do you carry your precious cargo?  Are you happy with it?  If not, why not?  Is there another bag/pack/sack that you lust for?

soaringturkeys
    Participant

@Jetpix. Pelican case.

I usually have some things that I keep in my canon backpack. But I would trust a pelican case.

stef
    Participant

I’d be curious to know – In what do you carry your precious cargo?  Are you happy with it?  If not, why not?  Is there another bag/pack/sack that you lust for?

I use a rolling hard plastic toolbox for the big stuff which I selected based on its dimensions to fit my car’s trunk perfectly, and a large crumpler for the expensive stuff. The toolbox can lock and I can chain it to something, although it’s not exactly a safe. I also have a large thinktank carry-on if I have to pack a lot of gear on a trip. I highly recommend thinktank products, if their other stuff is as awesome as that rolling carry-on bag.

Crumpler looks good and protects my gear, and isn’t horrible to carry unless it’s packed with glass. Comfortable strap, but can get unwieldy when packed full. But it carries a surprising amount of gear. I think you could actually get 3 cameras with 70-200 2.8 lenses and 3 flashes into it if you really tried, although that would be painful to carry. I think I have the $7M Home.

JLiu
    Participant

I have a few bags that I use, depending on the situation:  Think Tank Retrospective 20 (for around town), F-Stop Guru (for general travel/day hikes), and a DIY jury-rig that consists of one of my 60L packs and a medium or large F-Stop ICU.  Sometimes I’ll have a chest mounted case (Lowepro TopLoader Pro 70)  that connects to my backpack, but that’s only if I really want to look like a goober.

For the most part, I’m happy with my bags.  It took quite a bit of trial and error to narrow down to what I have now, but I feel that they are most beneficial to me for the type of photography I work on most.

If you are looking for a large pack for which you can do some serious hiking/backpacking in and carry your camera gear, it’s best to just get a pack made for backpacking, make sure it’s fit properly for you, and alter it.  This way you have a great hiking pack that doubles as a camera bag, not a great camera bag that doubles as a hiking pack (you’ll know what I mean if you’ve ever hiked with a pack that doesn’t fit well).

FauxFighters
    Participant

Here is a semi-comprehensive list of my gear.  I didn’t list my kit lenses and some older glass that I rarely use.  Anything with an asterisk next to it is in my go bag though.  Not gonna bother listing individual cards, filters, and my studio lights (White Lightnings)

Bodies:

Nikon D7000*

Nikon D200*

Nikon D80

Nikon D40

Glass:

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus*

Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Autofocus*

Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Telephoto

Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC Telephoto *

Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX

AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D*

Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

Extras:

Nikon SB-800 Flash Unit*

2 x Nikon SB-600 Flash Unit*

16GB SD & CF Cards*

Manfrotto Monopod & Tripod

KeyAndFill
    Participant

What is in my bag right now, that I carry with me?

Olympus E-5 and battery grip.
    Yongnuo hotshoe flash
    14-54mm 2.8
    40-150mm 4.0
    35mm Prime
    Lens pen
    flash cards
    circular polarizer
    Gossen Lunasix incident meter
    gray card

Thats just my bag.  I have other lenses, strobes, and light modifiers that I don’t carry everywhere.

kbee
    Participant

My modest little camera bag has the following:

Canon EOS 60D

18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens

50mm f/1.8 prime lens

Canon 430xEX II Speedlite

Sunpak tripod

Then there’s the other stuff – cleaning kit, lens caps, backup memory cards, manuals, discs. One day I dream of getting my hands on a 5D Mark III, a 70-200mm L lens, some softboxes, more flashes, remote trigger, some hoods and filters and more. I’ve only been doing this for a couple of years though and am still cutting my teeth on the whole thing, so for now my camera bag of goodies is good enough for now.

To answer the bag thing, I have a Canon backpack, the 200EG. While it’s fairly sturdy and comfortable to wear, I don’t like it because it falls over from being too top-head when the SLR is on top and (for my meager rig) with  little weight on the bottom. It’s very narrow on the base anyway, as you’d expect for a backpack style. I always have to be careful and prop it up against the wall so it doesn’t flump over and break something. I think I’ll end up getting a shoulder bag that stands better for my day-to-day use. Should I need to drag my equipment around for lengthy periods of time, the backpack will be a nice backup.

OctoberMoon
    Participant

I’m over in the Weenie Club with Kimera, hahaha. Canon Rebel XT! It was given to me by an online friend. I know it’s not much of a camera in the grand scheme of things, but it’s my baby. Sigma 70-300, 50mm f/1.8 and the regular ol’ kit lens which I only use for macros, all gifted to me as well. Never could’ve afforded any of this on my own, and hopefully it will be something I start making money with once I’ve had more practice. I’ve got a great eye for other people’s work and a lot of knowledge, but not much field application yet. However, what I AM good at is post work, which means I can turn out pretty good pictures as long as you’re not judging by the SOOC! 😛

mykelhelene
    Participant

2 Canon 5D Mark II’s

Canon 70-200 2.8 IS

Canon 85mm 1.2 II

Canon 15mm 2.8  fisheye

And a pancake lens, for fun 🙂

JamesRPhotog
    Participant

I had to jump in being a “freak” in the Photography World, meaning I didn’t see any other Sony shooters here, I chose long ago to step outside the ( Nikon, Canon ) box. I get alot of flack being a Sony shooter and have been told many times I need to buy a Professional Camera. LOL I just like being different and taking great pictures as I learn,  so here is whats in my bag:

Sony A77
    Minolta 50mm 1.4 (Some of the nicest glass ever made 1984)
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Tamron 70-200 2.8
    Yongnuo flash
    Wireless triggers
    Cowboy Studio softbox

picarusslim
    Participant

Sony a65 & 35 – F1.8 35MM, F2.8 30MM macro, 18-55mm kit, 75mm-200mm. Remotes, filters etc. Flash gun, tripods etc.

Pentax Super ME, a nice prime and long prime (i forget which, it’s in storage)

Various 35mm film cameras ranging from 1970s-1990s.

I love them all dearly.

Oh, and a Fuji x10 so i don’t break my back carrying all the above but always have a camera on me.

odoketa
    Participant

In my bag (think tank retrospective 20): tamron 70-300 vc, canon 50 1.8, canon 40 2.8, tamron 17-50, canon 100 macro (just got it, and so far it’s great!) and a samyang 8mm (Also surprisingly good).  Oh, and a Canon t4i with the grip, which I love.

next big buy is definitely a full frame body, though for wildlife I really love the crop frame sensor.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.