Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? What do you think?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cass335
    Participant

So, I was thinking about charging for pet photography. Or rather, pet portraits. Feel free to check out my work and let me know what you think. As of right now it is really an up in the air thing. I made a request of my friends and family to see if anyone wanted to provide a “model” for me to play around with. All these pics are of my own dogs. Which is why I am asking for other people to provide some pets, so that I can see if it is something I may pursue and enjoy. So I guess, right now, I am not a “fauxtographer” since I am not charging. I just want to make sure I am not going to become one. Lol.

http://flic.kr/ps/2qHMDq

cameraclicker
    Participant

What you have looks all right.  Got any photos of cats?  Other breeds of dogs?  Hamsters, rabbits, or snakes?

cass335
    Participant

I don’t, yet. Though now that I think about it…my sister does have a hamster that I could probably go borrow for some pictures. That’s part of the reason I put out a request for animals. To get the chance to photograph other animals, instead of the just shooting my dogs.

fstopper89
    Participant

They look good! Most likely, the market won’t be oversaturated either because not many people are willing to do pet portraits.

Brownie
    Participant

there’s a market for it…

kbee
    Participant

I like. Your photos are clear and sharp with good white balance. You have a good grasp of what you are doing and you are miles away from many of the fauxs featured here.

I’m not a pet fan but I love the four chihuahuas in a basket. I think you’re on to a good thing, so keep it up! Definitely, see if you can get more subjects to practice on, like other breeds of dogs or animals. I think you’d do great with exotic birds, for example.

Intuition
    Participant

We have a very popular pet photographer in anchorage, but while he is devoted to pet photography, he is unable to make a living solely on it. While alaska is really underpopulated, Anchorage is the largest city with many towns adjacent ( something not really common elsewhere in Alaska), and he has to do “regular” portrait/wedding to actually have a business model that makes him money. http://www.alaskaportraits.com/ is his link. Pet Photography on it’s own ( people getting pictures portrait style of only pets) is a relatively new idea, and it really depends on the dog community in your area and how hard you hussle. It’s also almost a guarantee that you’ll need an assistant for most if not all shots.

That being said, it’s also an area I’m rabid for and that I’ll market myself, so kudos! Also darn cute LH chi’s. Can I bring mine over to play 😉

Intuition
    Participant

Oh start husseling at dog shows. Best place ever. Shoot some cute pics of their dogs, hand them a card and sell prints off smug mug. Dog show people will eat it up 😉 I’ve sold pics from Lure coursing events doing exactly that 😀

cass335
    Participant

I have so many chis because we used to breed them. So I know quite a few breeders. I am hoping I can talk them into letting me shoot some of their pets. Or possibly their pups (to use on their websites). My oldest son may also be taking my male to agility training, and do competitions. So I will probably be able to find a market through that as well. Thanks for all your feedback!

Intuition
    Participant

I have a love affair with long haired chi’s. Both my fosters and my dog are all LH’s 😀 Sadly ( not really ) My husband wants a french bulldog, so that’s our next dog. But one day I’ll have a whole ‘herd’ of long hair chi’s and a couple of australian shepards to keep em in check haha.

here’s my baby cause I like to show him off 😉

DSC_0315

cass335
    Participant

What a cutie! I grew up with chis. My grandma had 6 when I was younger (6 at once…). If I could talk my hubby into it we would have a greyhound also. But he said no more dogs til the ones we have, have lived out their lives. My oldest is 11. The rest are all 2 years and younger, so we are gonna have then for a long time yet. They are all my babies!

Intuition
    Participant

My friend has 3 grey’s and two italian greys. I love them as well. I was shocked at just how big greys really were. It’s misleading haha. Our next dog is a French Bulldog, my hubby’s choice. I’m in the process of choosing a responsible breeder for them now. I also hope to keep fostering Chihuahua’s, I took in two hard cases these last few years, one biter and one with severe flight responses to everything. Oh and he ate blue jeans, like the whole pants. -_- haha. We’ll see if I can find a renter that will let me do all that in oklahoma lmao

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.