Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Ways to cultivate a creative perspective?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    theleestudio
    Participant

What are some ways someone can cultivate a creative perspective as a photographer? Any exercises you guys do to practice?

cameraclicker
    Participant

There is a YouTube video about this, but I found this page first: http://www.hsj.org/modules/lesson_plans/detail.cfm?menu_id=&submenu_id=&module_id=2&LessonPlanId=454

The YouTube video is by someone else and shows the egg and light.

Or, choose a lens, and spend the day working with just that lens.

reality check
    Participant

When I get a case of photographer’s block.  I like to take my most “normal” lens (in my case a 28mm) and shoot the ordinary and mundane.  This makes me really push to pay attention to lines, shadows, light, space, color, details etc.  No post plans at all before hand, just with the goal of some good SOOC shots.  It’s  just refreshing to get back to basics, not use my favorite go to lenses, and absolutely nothing in mind before hand.  No high expectations at all.   Not looking for beauty, special, or extra ordinary, and not waiting for IT to happen,  actually helps me find it.   It fires me up every time, and I end up shooting with more intent and deliberate  focus afterward.  Nearly every time I do this exercise, I end up with at least one wonderful keeper, and more importantly inspiration and the mojo juices flowing again.

Mrs Woo
    Participant

One thing that can really stretch you is to choose to shoot only one thing, or to at least do a series on one thing – i.e., a year of door shots, a week of only shooting the number 7, or only taking pictures of the backs of heads, etc.  Make it as challenging or simple as you want.  I’ve seen studies on hands (which is always a good topic, because so much of a person’s life is written on them, but also kind of overdone at this point), windows, leaves, etc.  One day, just on a lark, I spent the day shooting things on the ground that looked interesting.  There were feathers covered with dew, some bugs here and there, a piece of trash, a trampled flower, etc.  It was the wrong time of day for really fascinating light, but the still available dew did add some additional interest.

Whenever I get a new lens, it stays on my camera if at all possible for at least two weeks before I go back to swapping lenses around again.  It gives me a really good feeling for the lenses capabilities and forces me to sometimes frame things differently than I would have if I had a more convenient lens to use for the image.  This is especially true for prime lenses where you have to zoom with your feet instead of the lens!

dstone81
    Participant

I do that too Mrs. Woo. When we lived in NC we had old cememtaries everywhere and I did a study on them…Many would ask me why and I would respond with Why not? It was a good learning expierence for me. It was also something that was unique and facinated me. I got what I thought were some interesting shots but I also know that I still could use a lot of improvement. And I saw where I needed improvment. My biggest issue is focus. I have a hard time getting that razor sharp focus. But that also makes me want to work that much harder.

Sarah
    Participant

When I get really bored of weddings I break out my fish tank and do stuff like this: sarahashleyphotos.com/artistic#h477454c8

I try to do different things with lighting and just play in the studio =)

Egglington
    Participant

Throw a 50mm prime on your camera and challenge yourself to 10 images a day. Take your camera with your everywhere you go. Each image must be different and use a different point of view. See what you can come up with.

kbee
    Participant

Nick – exactly what I’ve been doing. I got my f/1.4 50mm prime a few weeks ago, but I’ve only just started using it (shame on me) As sharp and fast as it is, I was using my (ugh) kit lens as a crutch and safety to fall back onto for family shots. Better the devil you know right? Just last weekend I put the kit aside and did all photos with the 50mm. What a challenge, tracking rambunctious kids with a prime, but it opened up a whole new aspect I didn’t have before by just standing there zooming in and out with my feet planted.

And for me personally, I like to switch it up by making a homemade lightbox and shooting macro with my jewelry, coins etc. Takes all the background noise out and lets me focus on depth of field, white balance, clarity. A little less creative and more back to basics, but it helps to switch tracks from time to time instead of focusing on one style or subject.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.