Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Wanna see serious Fauxtographers?

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    PhotoDon
    Participant
    nesgran
    Participant

for those prices I was expecting a lot worse. You seem to have stumbled onto a photographer who charges like a faux and using their business practices but the photos aren’t any worse than an enthusiast would do.

I do love the bit where they phrase it like a passport is a very special item

ebi
    Participant

In my mind, I cannot separate this work from what you’d consider faux, nesgran. There may be some technically correct images in there but that feels more like a “got lucky” situation. The portfolio makes it clear that cheapshots has no idea what they are doing nor do they care.

snap_happy
    Participant
    nesgran
    Participant

I think what I was trying to get across is that they are worth what they are charging. If you let them shoot your wedding and you knew nothing about photography you’d probably be pretty happy with it given what it costs. It certainly isn’t up to the standards of a better wedding photographer but far off what we’ve seen here in the past. Hence the comment that they are about what an enthusiast would manage

johnjunkman
    Participant

I have a DSLR and a few lens (50mm prime, 70-200mm , 18-105mm). I took photography (film) and super8 film making 15 years ago in high school. I shoot film with an SLR from the end of the film era and develop black and white film in caffenol. I keep turning down “Jobs” (friends and family begging me to shoot their events , since I have a “good camera”) because I KNOW that I don’t have the skills yet nor do I want to held responsible for ruining their day. I’ve looked at a bunch of the links in this thread and every pic I see is something I’m trying to avoid in my own work. I plan on continuing to take take classes locally and watching videos on line (and shooting 1000s of practice images).

lkm42
    Participant

I am married to an active duty US Marine and we are currently stationed in Wisconsin. I graduated from Central Michigan University with my bachelors degree in Journalism, photo concentration and an art minor. I had shot several friend’s weddings and engagement sessions for cheap, most times because they asked me to. Having moved to Wisconsin with no journalism options, I scanned Craigslist for other photo options. I was blessed by a local photographer taking me on as an associate photographer for her wedding photography business. I have learned and grown in so many ways since I started working with her and the experience I have gained is invaluable. However, looking ahead to the future, despite my degree, professional camera and experience of 30+ weddings under my belt, I am SO hesitant to even pursue my photography venture as a business of my own if we were to have a permanent change of station (PCS) because of the RAMPANT women in the same boat as I. It’s frustrating as hell! Whoever previously posted expressing sympathy to military spouses not being able I have a career, I appreciate you. Thank you. I do know I need to have confidence in my work and they say that the cream always rises to the top. My work can stand for itself and people would see the difference between me and other photographers (fauxtographers) but just the stigma attached to military wife photographers makes me not want to do it at all! 🙁 (disclaimer: I am not perfect. I have a million ways I can learn and improve. I know I have strengths and weaknesses like any other professional.) I just get so ANGRY when I am hesitant to call myself a professional, despite my training and education and yet, people have the gall to fling up a Facebook page and have some vistaprint business cards. (Join the club, right?) 🙂 thanks for listening.

photofriend
    Participant

So this woman has no idea about photography and is starting a business. She was asking for advice shooting a wedding on a Facebook forum and got angry when people advised her not to, since she had no experience shooting a wedding and based on her photos, very little knowledge of photography in general. Here’s a link to a Facebook group she created and her website. Enjoy.

http://pennylapsleyphotography.smugmug.com

https://www.facebook.com/groups/167326623457005/

foxtog
    Participant

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.235559193237372.54117.175746772551948&type=1   You must see these to believe them.   I actually shared on facebook with the comment “great composition” and facebook punished me and banned me 24 hours.

Bill
    Participant

So, is my math correct or did it take Penny Lapsley Photography less then 7 minutes to upload and “edit” all of her photos.
    I’m just going by her detailed post on Facespace.

PJ99212
    Participant

The really scary part is Lapsey is located just a couple hours away from me. ~shiver~
    And I really like how she has no concept of grammar.

nesgran
    Participant

wowsers, that was proper fauxtography there

photofriend
    Participant

Oh you should read her posts in various photography forums on FB. It’s very painful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pshopandlightroom/permalink/616249468437870/

Bill
    Participant

WOW!!!  I am wondering when they are going to ban her from posting. I mean I didn’t count them but 95% of the comments are hers and she is asking pretty basic  questions that you would think one should know.  Like “What is animation?”

Hello Penny, there is this wonderful thing out there that can provide the answers to that what you seek, it’s called GOOGLE.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.