Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum This, that, and automatic modes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    dont.care
    Participant

Gerbles
    Participant

Well, I think we can all agree that the histogram will never flash “proper exposure” on the lcd screen. All it is is a guide to base your decision off of. I think you two are arguing the same argument.

dont.care
    Participant

dont.care
    Participant

fstopper89
    Participant

I think the point is, is that you should be using the tools you have available to you to their full advantages. If you can get the most out of using a histogram, then do it. If you get the most from using the light meter in the camera, then do it. If you get the most out of using an external light meter, then do that. Or, a combination of several things. I still don’t feel that any sort of automatic mode on the camera is going to allow you to get the exposure the best if you are leaving it up to the camera to do it. We should all be skilled enough to define the functions the camera is using to get the best image.

dont.care
    Participant

+1 ^

dont.care
    Participant

Kimera
    Participant

@ browneyedgirl,

The more I experiment with this camera (it’s my first DSLR so I’m relatively new to just how many features and modes are on it), the better I get at choosing the right setting for ‘that’ shot, and my reflexes are quicker.

Pretty soon I won’t even remember what ‘P’ was for! LOL … oh ~ and to be honest I absolutely despise that green box setting! Dumb flash goes up every time … it’s like when I was at the fireworks in July and all these little pop pop pops are going off .. and not the fireworks!

I currently may use P sometimes, but I haven’t needed to lately. I guess I just meant that one shouldn’t feel as if it’s not permitted any more .. sometimes it’s fun! click click click ..

.. one more thing I’ve stopped using is automatic focus on the lens. It’s too slowwww … I can focus faster manually.

dont.care
    Participant

mellymoo
    Participant

Even confident shooters use shutter priority in some situation. As I shot the Women’s College World Series, I talked shop with an ESPN photographer. He uses shutter priority during games when it’s not nice and overcast or while the sun is setting. It is so helpful- you don’t want to be fiddling with settings when the decisive moment comes.

Kimera
    Participant

@ dont care – for Christmas my sister gave me her Canon Rebel XS, with the kit 18-55mm. My brother-in-law added to it with a 75-300mm.

Another friend just gave me a box full of filters, including 2 close-ups, a few tints, and a Polarizing.
    I don’t have much in the way of gear but, since I ride the bus (never gotten a driver’s license), minimal equipment is practical for me.

dont.care
    Participant

mellymoo
    Participant

Kimera, my personal camera is a rebel xs as well. Best investment I ever made was getting a 50mm f/1.4 for it. And some expansion tubes to mess around with macro.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Mellymoo, I suspect you got extension tubes.  They are a great way to turn most lenses into macro lenses at a very reasonable cost.

Egglington
    Participant

It’s interesting reading everyone’s perspectives on what the Histogram is for as well as their thoughts on automatic exposure. This is my spin on it:

The Histogram tells me the dynamic range data of my shot and indicates whether I have my highlights or shadows properly exposed. By observing whether it is slanted to the left or the right,  I can tell whether my exposure has been weighted towards the highlights or the shadows, and I can then adjust it either by switching over to manual or using the exposure compensation dial to fine tune the image.

The histogram is very useful for me especially when I am shooting on location and I can’t view the preview screen properly. To be honest I rarely rely on the accuracy of the preview screen and always use the histogram as a checking device to ensure my image capture is exposed properly. There is no correct or incorrect histogram to look for, it just depends on what you are trying to achieve. Given I always shoot in RAW, I have quite a bit of flexibility in the image in post production.

As far as automatic exposure goes, it certainly has its place. 60% of the time I shoot in Aperture Priority. The other percentage of time I bounce between manual and Shutter Priority. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve in your shot. I find by setting it to either Shutter or Aperture priority and using the exposure compensation dial to fine tune the exposure, I can obtain the image I am aiming for without going into manual mode.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.