Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? This site has me asking, "Am I a Fauxtog?"

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    ebi
    Participant

You obviously live in a world crowded by your own delusions. I’m gonna go ahead and say you probably won’t last very long in this industry.

iliketag
    Participant

Nope, no delusions. I just appreciate nice people, not flat out mean ones. I honestly feel like you puff yourself up as some sort of badass but I honestly can’t take you seriously. Even if you say something remotely helpful to someone, I just wonder if you googled it and put it the most pretentious, mean way you can.

You make me never want to come back here, and it’s the reason I don’t even bother reading half the threads that come up. It’s sad, I like this site and you have single handedly annoyed me into ignoring it. Congratulations.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

I’m afraid ebi is right most of the time. But rude all of the time!

I’ve been banned from several sites because I won’t stop asking the “Wrong”  questions, but they are sites that belong to associations (who you have to pay to join) so I see it as my right to asshole if I choose.

This site isn’t charging anyone to be here,  the visitors are guests so why not treat them that way? Sure if they persist in doing everything wrong it might need some stronger language. If they start a thread with ” I know I’m not a faux” when they obviously are, then some sarcasm makes a better read. But the people who just don’t know better have at least made a good start by asking for our advice.

ebi, this isn’t the photography X factor, you don’t need to be such an ass!

ebi
    Participant

@iliketag, I can’t make you feel anything, but I appreciate the compliment. I don’t consider myself a badass. I consider myself nothing more than I am: a working photographer with a lot of technical knowledge. I’ll bring that to the table. The egos, the know it all attitude, the audacity to charge for sub par amateur photo work…i have no patience for.

You may find my advice overly negative, but it is still the sad reality. But, by all means, continue to be a dismissive dick.

@WCS – you are right, this isn’t X Factor, this is the real world, which is far more harsh than I will ever be.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

@WCS – you are right, this isn’t X Factor, this is the real world, which is far more harsh than I will ever be.

Well it’s nice to know that you are doing your bit towards making the world a better place.

nesgran
    Participant

Well it’s nice to know that you are doing your bit towards making the world a better place.

Bwahahaha!

As always (almost) with these threads the OP never comes back which is a real shame. I hope the OP picks up the courage again in a year and shows us that (s)he’s learnt from this experience

ebi
    Participant

Well, it’s the little things that count.

fstopper89
    Participant

I somewhat agree with the using prettier models thing. When I need to add some stuff to my portfolio, yes, I do ask pretty girls. I wouldn’t call the girl in the OP’s photo heavy by any means- she’s slouching, and her belly is sticking out a little. That happens to me too and I’m pretty thin. It’s more of how you pose the person (and sucking in doesn’t hurt). I also agree that making average people look awesome does a lot for marketing to a broader group.

PMS
    Participant

Yes brown eyed girl has that right. You have to learn how to pose people. That shot could have come out a bit better, had it been posed correctly.

The three images of the women by themselves, their skin is too over exposed. You are losing a lot of detail by doing that. You need to get more comfortable with your cameras settings. Take some more time learning, that’s all.

emf
    Participant

I think there is a tutorial online too (stupidly I didn’t bookmark it and now can’t find it, but it’s worth searching for as it was good) about shooting people according to their physical characteristics, so if someone has a bigger nose or more prominent chin etc etc, shoot from an angle that will flatter that feature, rather than exaggerate it. Also studio lighting will change people’s features depending on what lighting pattern you use, such as Broad lighting which will make a persons face look wider so wouldn’t be suitable for a person with a wide face etc.

Another consideration is the angle of view of your lens, as that will make a difference to how their features are recorded – for example, a wider angle could distort your subject and make them look bigger. Same as it would exaggerate a big nose etc. Sorry, I can’t really explain this in much detail as I’m only just learning it myself  – but it is worth researching for yourself 🙂

ebi
    Participant

Yes brown eyed girl has that right. You have to learn how to pose people. That shot could have come out a bit better, had it been posed correctly.

If you can’t make a moderately skinny girl look skinny, then imagine the shit show that will come when you have a real actual fat girl.

You really will not attract fat girls for clients by showing fat girls in your portfolio b/c fat girls are not looking at your work thinking, “wow she really made her look thinner than she was, maybe she can do that for me.”

I’m sorry that I say what everyone else is thinking, but tip toeing around the issue is just a waste of time. We are all adults here (well, some of us).

cameraclicker
    Participant

You really will not attract fat girls for clients by showing fat girls in your portfolio b/c fat girls are not looking at your work thinking, “wow she really made her look thinner than she was, maybe she can do that for me.”

It’s not politically correct to say that, but it does make a lot of sense from a logical perspective.  If you see a photo of anyone you don’t know, what do you have to judge them on, except their image in the photo?  If you are shown a portfolio of heavy girls, how are you going to judge if they actually look better or worse than if they were in the room, if you have never seen them before?  On the other hand, if you are given a portfolio containing photos of several girls and they all look like they belong on the pages of Seventeen, or whatever magazine is current now, you may not assume they were they were all super skinny to start with, but you will probably be impressed with their appearance and by the photographer because of their appearance.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.