Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography The Flickr Conundrum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    ebi
    Participant

In need of a little venting. I figured this was as good a place as any. I woke up this morning to an email on flickr from a digital agency wanting to use one of my images for an inflight magazine they are producing for a large international airline. They offered no pay at all. I thanked them for their interest and directed them to the license on Getty link on the image or said they could make me an offer. They made me an offer of €30 (about $40USD). I found it insulting. On the low end of magazine work, I get about $300 an image for a one time publication of that image. More if it runs in other magazines by the same company.

I feel like Flickr is becoming like craigslist for photographers. I get emails all the time inquiring about free usage of images usually with “you’ll get a photo credit”. Photo credit is nice and all, but I cannot pay rent with a photo credit. For bloggers, I’m all for it. If you aren’t using my images to sell something in any way, i’m very happy to share the blog love.

I emailed the producer back with a counter offer and it’s been crickets ever since. I’ve had travel guides do the same thing with the same response. Has anyone else had this issue? I find it incredibly annoying.

nesgran
    Participant

It is the way society is going, have a read of this http://photothisandthat.co.uk/2013/08/08/not-so-great-for-photographers/

ebi
    Participant

well reading that article just made me very sad…

cameraclicker
    Participant

Anything that does not have a physical presence is like that.  Music and computer software come to mind.

Sharra
    Participant

Ebi, I’m not good enough yet to have to worry about being short changed for my images. But I’m sure a few of us here would like to see your Flickr stream! 🙂

ebi
    Participant

haha…you keep asking Sharra…

Jones
    Participant

I agree — let’s see ebi’s flickr! 🙂

ebi
    Participant

sorry, all you get is a cocktail…for now…

Sharra
    Participant

Ebi, you can’t fault a girl for asking, right? You’ve certainly offered more insightful advice lately as opposed to your brashness a few weeks ago and I respect that. When you’re ready, you’ll post, so I won’t ask anymore.

ebi
    Participant

Oh Sharra, I really don’t mind you asking. It’s quite flattering actually. please, please, continue 😉

Sharra
    Participant

Ebi, I have no desire to feed your ego. Admittedly, my reasons for asking are selfish—I’d like to see them and ask about the how and why of any that pique my interest. After a day trip to a national park for some autumn landscapes, I came home disappointed even after reading about and trying to put into practice the techniques used by some well-known landscape photographers. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve got a long way to go and I thought you might be a source of visual inspiration even if you don’t shoot many landscapes. It’s really nothing more than that.

ebi
    Participant

alright Sharra. I created a flickr account and uploaded some images from a recent project just for you…and anyone else that wants to have a look. http://flickr.com/gp/105852606@N08/c0ga59/

I put them in order by subject as opposed to building a story flow as that is probably easier without the context of the story and the set is kind of incomplete as I didn’t select everything.

emf
    Participant

@ Sharra, don’t be despondant, I can’t advise as a photographer but as a painter my best painting is always the next one I’m planning. Just get back out there and keep trying. The autumn/fall isn’t over yet. Maybe put something up here for critique and people with more experience will help show you what went wrong and how to improve for next time – it’s all a learning curve.

JLiu
    Participant

Sharra – for every “wow” landscape I have, there are hundreds (if not more) “meh” or “I suck at life” shots. That’s the beauty of landscape photography! Luck is definitely a factor. You can be perfectly set up with the best composition, but the lighting is off, or the sky is flat, or the wind is too strong, etc. Just keep shooting. As emf suggested, post something up for critique.

Ebi – thanks for making me hungry. I have enough problems with the food network. Also…what savage eats pizza with a knife and fork?!

cameraclicker
    Participant

It’s nice to see some photos, ebi!  Enjoyed them.

JLiu is correct, Sharra, a landscape can be drab one second and beautiful the next!  Being there, and being ready, helps your luck.  Take lots of photos, pray for changing light while you are at a location, so you can get different lighting.  Sometimes you have to visit at the right time of year, or the right time of day, which can be a challenge if the scene is far from home and/or you are traveling with a group that wants you to move along and keep up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.