Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Some Self Portraits I took.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Silver
    Participant

I am sorry if I came off as rude, i didn’t mean to.  I do not think these photos are technically sound.  As for artwork, I would have to say they effected me in a really horriric, unsettling way.  If you were meaning to invoke sorrow, compassion, emptiness and emotions of that nature you have missed your mark.  If you were wanting a provoking horror, you have suceeded.  If that is the case, it is not thereputic anymore, but more of a morbid scare tactic.  AND to be honest, these should not be up on your business page at all.  Image a pregnant woman looking for mat pictures?  I’m sorry, I wouldn’t hire you.   Thats why I suggested a private portfolio for reflection purposes.   All the power to you for self expression, but I have to agree that a facebook business page is not the appropriate place for those kinds of pics.  Not only that, but you are putting forth a really unprofessional online persona at first glance at these pics.  Not trying to bash you, but trying to help you see what potential customers see.

JimC
    Participant

First, I can empathize with the sentiment of the message. We had a miscarriage one year and two weeks ago. The wounds are healing, but I still think about it from time to time. I have no idea what it must have been like for my wife.

I would echo the voices of others here, that this is probably not public port material. I know you responded to that, with this:

Yes, I do. They’re also my artwork. I’m proud of them. Why hide something you love? Not every photograph is about that.

But here’s my thoughts, which you can take or leave. There are in fact many types of photography. Some are artistic. Some are commercial. There’s a whole spectrum out there. It’s important in any field, not just photography, to have some degree of focus on a specific ability or set of abilities, and present that focused face to your clients.

I used to do video production. My focus was commercial productions, specializing in promotional pieces and interviews with C-level execs. I mastered those areas, and I was good at it. I could walk into a room with a Fortune 500 CFO, and get him to talk about finances in a way that the average Joe would find compelling. That was the face, or more accurately, the brand I established for myself. When you went to my website, it was geared almost entirely towards that. When I had a booth at a trade show, that was what was laid out. This image was what I consistently laid out, because people judge you by the half second they pass by, and if I only have a half second, I want to make darn sure it’s used pushing my bread and butter specialty.

That doesn’t mean I didn’t do other stuff. I had referrals all the time, sometimes from those C-level types, who loved what I did for them, but now had a daughter getting married or a son whose band was picking up momentum and needed a music video. I still kept my focus, and often I would turn down a project if it didn’t interest me, but despite that, I still covered a broad range of different productions.

My point in saying all of that is that these photos, while real, visceral, and raw, are not your bread and butter. They are not your brand. This is a very special project, one-of-a-kind, as this is something that a lot of women would never consider hiring a tog to do. I know my wife wouldn’t be able to do it, and probably wouldn’t make it through this set of photos, and we’re the target market IF this were a product you would sell. Further, it negatively impacts your brand. I’m not saying the photos themselves are negative, but they paint a picture of your work that I believe is not fair to your brand, or what you do as a tog. Remember, some people will only see your work for half a second, and that’s what they judge you by for all eternity. If they see this in that half second, they will not get a clear picture of your brand, or what you are capable of. It could even drive potential clients away.

My suggestion is NOT to hide them away, and I believe removing them from your FB port is not the same as hiding them away. But for the sake of your brand, it’s probably pest to host them elsewhere, in a place that isn’t associated with your business. Family, friends, and those who have walked in your shoes will still be able to find them and see them, but it will not cripple your business. I totally get the “this is me, and I want to share me with the world” concept, but at the same time, if you destroy your business for the sake of expressing your art, what good does that accomplish? No, put them someplace else, and keep your FB photography page for a focused face to your business.

KirstenCOBHC
    Participant

These photos are absolutely amazing.

Fuck what anyone else says, honestly…

I have been where you are. And still struggle daily..

I would love to talk photography with you.

picarusslim
    Participant

She asked for a critique and got one Kirsten. Fucking what anyone else thinks is the biggest bottleneck on progression not to mention a hallmark of a fauxtographer. If she’s putting her work out there to draw in custom then I’d imagine she’s very much interested in what other people think.  I like some of her other work and i’m not knocking her as a photographer.

Garrahmarie
    Participant

I do like some of your other stuff. As for those photos, “Unsettling” is a great way to describe them. I have to agree that they aren’t something you want on a public business page!

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

Fucking what anyone else thinks is the biggest bottleneck on progression not to mention a hallmark of a fauxtographer

I thought the hall mark of a faux was not getting your avatar the right way up!

ARRRRRRRGHH can some one please explain how to quote an OP!!!!

serenidade
    Participant

lol

Gerbles
    Participant

I appreciate what you’re trying to achieve. I totally embrace the idea of using your craft to mirror your emotions and convey through art what you’re going through. I really think the idea behind these is moving and I like it. But they aren’t executed well. The focus seems to be off in several of the ones where you’re crouched down in the mud and the white balance is off. You will notice in the shade, everything has a slight blueish tint. This needs to be corrected. Also, I would like to see you a little closer in the frame and with a shallower DoF. Another thing I noticed is you cut off your toes in one of them, which is distracting. I would love to see this project again (totally redone), but with these things corrected and with better lighting- maybe off camera lighting.

Whether or not you display them on your business fb page is up to you. But if it were me, I would not have them there due to reasons already presented to you. If you want to display them, I would maybe have them in another online portfolio not meant for business purposes. You shouldn’t be ashamed of them, but there is also a question of whether it’s appropriate for your professional image.

Silver
    Participant

No one is saying you should be ashamed.   No one is saying you shouldn’t have saved them.   I can appreciate the tradgey you’ve gone through and I am really sorry it had to happen to you.   Good luck on your journey in life.

picarusslim
    Participant

WSC – chuckle.

cameraclicker
    Participant

ARRRRRRRGHH can some one please explain how to quote an OP!!!!

Well…  I copy and paste the text then type a bit of what I want to say.  Then I go back and highlight the quote, and choose the open quotation mark button.  In the editor, it indents the text.  In the submitted view I see it on a slightly yellow background.

For a bunch of photographers, it is amazing how many have not added an avatar, and even more amazing when the avatar is messed up.  Perhaps she is just carrying Dutch Angles to their logical extreme?

I think JimC’s post is excellent advice.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

mmm.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

errrrrrrrrr

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

hurrrrrrrrr

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

grrrrrrrrrrrr

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.