Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum So what is photography???

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    pril
    Participant

Sorry i’m just a clueless more or less, and more in likely would be called a faux whatever.   I have seen some really good work on some images in the forums of people complaining about these “photographers” with facebook sites. Now i’m utterly confused.

I am asking you to post what you consider isn’t this faux thing-a-magiggy.  As you can clearly tell by my written words i’m not that smart either so please keep it simple.. this chick is stupid.

Please do me a solid and show me creative photography works i’m not looking for a girl sitting there smiling, I want something creative something someone would want to buy, and most importantly something professional not a faux thing..

Please and thank you!

nesgran
    Participant

Typical faux problems are out of focus/blurry shots as an example. There is no excuse for unsharp photos with the exception of being a journalist and people are shooting at you (with guns that is). Much of that side of things boils down to not having the technical skills to handle the camera. Other tell tale signs are a poor business plan and inadequate equipment. Not paying taxes and insurance is again a typical faux corner cutting. Many fauxes have a shitty attitude which makes them look really unprofessional.

Your stereotypical faux if I generalise a bit is a stay at home mom who bought an entry level DSLR to shoot the kids. People then lavished praise on her photography and she decides to start a photography business on the side. She will be out of business within a year with minimal loss as she already had the camera and won’t be buying any more gear, unless they get sued obviously. Then there are the people who invest a lot more and buy equipment without knowing what they are really doing. These are my favourite people as you can usually pick up mint second hand kit from them at good prices. Their private finances will suffer though. The “guy with camera” (GWC commonly) is the sleaze who often has some knowledge of photography, invest in lots of gear and use it to get pretty young girls to undress for him.

Lack of training isn’t usually what annoys photographers but rather the fauxs inadequacies as a photographer and that they are undercutting the established market by not paying tax etc.

If you want some inspiration for good photography, look at 500px.com and browse their most popular works. They are almost invariably good photos in many different categories.

IHF
    Participant

Here is a site that puts things in a more lay kind of way

http://www.takeoffyourmommygoggles.com/consumers/judging-photographers-websites/

(be sure to check out the good bad, and the ugly from the menu bar)

http://www.takeoffyourmommygoggles.com/consumers/what-is-a-fauxtographer-2/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.